Rant about Photos of Corals for Sale

uploadfromtaptalk1400946879129.jpg This is exactly how it looks in my tank. Shot with a Galaxy S4 under 2x250 20k halides and 2x54 t5 actinics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to photoshop my pics to get them to look like they do in person otherwise the phone mucks it up and makes everything look solid blue

I don't mind a bit of color correction because the camera is also distorting the image from what it looks like in real life.

I generally don't buy corals unless there is a scalable object in frame and a known object that I judge color against. The finger and quarter posted earlier is a perfect example

Removed per request~dc

I believe those are in fact true to color photos, albeit oversaturated. Problem is they are under pure blue LED's. I have no doubt the coral will look that way in my tank, during dusk/dawn when I just have my blue LED's running.

Here are some of my pics with just the blue's on:

PowerBrites9_1.jpg

PowerBrites8_1.jpg

P14_1.jpg

P15_1.jpg

And those were just through the glass with a PnS. Imagine what I could do with a real camera, and a top down photo box! :D

The marketing in this hobby is pretty interesting. I just received an order from UniqueCorals (I name them because this is a positive comment) that was absolutely dead on with color and size. Icefire Echinata and an A. Chesterfieldensis. They didn't need to do any photoshopping to get the colors correct and under slightly different lights in my tank, they look exactly as promised.

I've had very hit or miss experiences when ordering from other vendors, particularly with LPS such as Scoly's.

I would never rely on online pics. Yeah, they're could be intentional manipulation like pumping up the saturation and so on, but they're could also be unintentional conditions that would cause the coral to look different to you on arrival.

For starters, is your monitor color calibrated with the vendor's monitor and with the camera? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not, and that the difference could be very profound. I took some pictures at a car show once and shared them online, and then a guy commented on them that the pictures where very nice but that I’d gotten the color wrong on several of the cars. My gear and monitors where all calibrated and I was pretty sure his probably weren’t. Most people don’t realize how big the differences can be which can be a challenge when selling or proofing online with a customer.

One problem is most people when they get a computer monitor pull it out of the box and never properly adjust/calibrate the colors. That software is usually included with the monitor. Like a "good" TV that can be "great" if properly calibrated.

For a few years I sold zoo and ricordia's online as WYSIWYG and believe I was quite honest in listing the lighting type used, the camera used etc. Back then I used a Nikon Coolpix 5400 which I bought for being very good at macro. It was also properly white balanced for my lights. I used photoshop or similar but that was just to crop the image, resize and sharpen (also listed as disclosure). Where people cheat is saturation and or other color adjustment. Very simple to make any dull color very vivid and rich and/or add color.

Even being pretty experienced I have gotten taken on occasion. With the ridiculous amount of money being charged for frags (especially zoo/paly) and other stuff these days there's just to much temptation to cheat. Some like the "blacklight" coloration and some don't. Of course most vendors will at the very least use lighting that brings out the best coloration. I forget which vendor at reef-a-palooza but one set up a black tent to showcase his stuff under mostly actinic/blue lighting and a lot used Kessil blues. I really don't have a problem with what light is used to photograph as long as the picture is true. Even at that something may look much different under your lighting.

Removed per request~dc

I totally agree with you, it is highway robbery! This is part of the reason why I do not buy any coral, unless I see it in person. People will take advantage of you.

Removed per request~dc

Very much for real. I've made money taking pictures for people and know how frustrating this can be (I also have a degree in it and have been a photographer since 1988).

What makes it worse in this hobby is that there are a million different lights you can have over the corals when taking the pictures, and there is no telling what light the end customer will have. I use to run some very warm color temp halides that made everything pretty much brown. I switched to LED's recently and now things are glowing like crazy and I have bright blue mushrooms.

And I'm not saying that sometimes a vendor might intentionally do something to the photos. I am saying however there are a TON of factors that could make the coral look substantially different in your tank than what it did in pictures online that absolutely are not intentional and perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to throw someone's livelihood under the bus.

If you want alien colored coral you probably need LED. The color is often in the coral and can be brought out without making the tank look too weird.

Some of those photos are clearly fubar but some are just different lighting. Its pretty obvious when you shouldn't pull the trigger.

Back