RBTA Farm Build

i think they split in accordance to stress, because i seemed to have a lot more the week after my monthly (sometimes bi-monthly) waterchanges. just my 2 cents... it worked for me.

I've seen the best natural reproduction in stress induced tanks. Low Ca and Mg seems to be one trigger. High nutrient levels help too.

As for the bubbles, I've got a tank with 1 original specimen and I harvest down to 3 or 4 whenever they are actively splitting. On one side of the tank, they are all straight tips; on the other they all display bubble tips. I suspect that the reason for what they display is due to UV and flow. Higher UV/bluer light and lower flow tends to give me bubble tips.

Subscribing to this right away......I love to read some mad scientist talk. Can't wait to hear more!!!

Best to all

FWIW, I tried the cutting method after reading quite a bit of Anthony's info. I had a bta that I'd kept for over 5 years and cut it right down the middle with a razor blade...but only one half made it. The other have stayed shriveled for a week or so before finally sliming out.

The living half is still fine. I won't try it again.

Quick question, do anenomes (bta's) reproduce in the wild in other ways then splitting.

They reproduce sexually aswell, Shedding gametes (sperm/eggs). What I dont know is if they are internal or external brooders?? I assume different cases for the many different anemone species. Ill look into that. :)

If youre gonna cut them and have that setup connected to your main display make sure you disconnect the water flow to/from that tank when performing the cuts and run carbon for at least an hour after the cutting before you turn on the water flow.

I still can't find 1 thread where someone has been doing this for a while and have it working, I have tried cutting BTAs a few times and the results differ. On those that survice it takes a few days for the cuts to heal but months for them to get back to pre cutting size...

You feeding them? I know someone who is getting theirs to split naturally every month. They feed half a large shrimp twice a week. In another tank that produces a lot of them, they don't spot feed any of the 'nems but there is a high nutrient load in the tank and 1-2 a month are able to be harvested simply due to growth and natural division.

Mine are doing pretty good.
christmas2010118.jpg

those look good. How big were they before you cut and now. Also how long ago did you cut...feeding?

They are about a month old.It was 6inches and I cut it into 4 but one split after cutting So i got 5 out of one .I feed mysis and raw shrimp every 3 days.I waited untill 3 weeks to feed these.a few are ready to cut again .Thats just a few of the babies ive got.:fun4:

With these things being farmed this way, what makes them rare? I can't F'in wait till mine splits naturally so i can start chopping. Just got one a few days ago and I'm to scared to go cutting my first one. I do think that this guy will change my views on reef tanks though. I'm loosing some interest in coral and growing all about the RBTA and the maxi mini carpets.

One other thing though. What can I do when I do decide to chop that will give me a tiny RBTA about the size of a quarter? I would really like to get into fragging them small when I do start fragging. If it naturally splits, can it split while still fairly small? (around 4-5 inches)

Last edited:
Back