RBTA Farm Build

I have one that splits naturally nearly every month. It gets fed 1 jumbo shrimp over the course of a week. Quarter size babies? Then you have to grow them out... The clones that are produced off of this animal are 6-8" and ready to host mature clowns. Anthony Calfo made a great point at MACNA, which was that you can get much better yields down the line if you grow out a mother colony/specimen and either let it reproduce itself or wait before cutting than if you start cloning a young specimen.
If the 'nems are sold small, consider that RBTA's will most often be killed by clowns if they are paired when below 4". The clownfish's natural inclination to host in the 'nem prevents the 'nem from opening and getting necessary light and water flow, starving it. Food for thought.

Thanx snooker. I'm really new to anemones completely and fairly new to the reef tank to be honest. So that really was a lot of good food for though all in a small package. I want my first to split naturally and then i want to play with chopping but overall, getting the best yield in the long run is the most important part.

Cisco, any updates. I have tried contacting you via your email as is listed on your website, to no avail.

I would love to see updates of your farm, I am also farming RBTA's, still building up my numbers but I am a about 200 right now. Lots of fun.

Farming BTAs

Farming BTAs

Likewise, some good points brought out here, like to hear more,

depth of tanks for best growth, hours of light, many other things,

I have a 48x24x16h rimless tank and I really want to do a RBTA species tank. I had given up on doing this, but I may have a chance thanks to you!!

Shallow depths are fine and preferred. Less light needed this way and it's easier to provide good flow through the tank. I'd use 12" as a goal, no more than 16".

Since RBTAs like a good place for their foot, live rock seems like a natural, but it's not. Bare bottom or basic racks do better and it's easier to keep the tank clean.

Lighting is subjective, but you can't let a RBTA just feed on light. It needs to be target fed, pretty heavily, for maximum production. You'll know all the conditions are right when they split.

Jeff

BTAs are notorious warriors, but normally won't bother their own species. One issue is that they can fight chemical warfare so you can't just put in a divider to keep them separate.

Jeff

so when u propagate RBTAs, they may emit chemicals that could hurt other BTAs?

thanks

They will do that even if you dont propagate them. Running carbon & water changes will help some.

In normal aquariums you wouldnt notice it so much, but in a propagation system, they will be spending energy fighting each other instead of growing.

And in a normal aquarium you may have oen or two, not the 500 in a prop system. :)

There are ways to manage this though, such as carbon.

Jeff

So is this driven by proximity to each other or do they just emit chemical weapons in general?

So mixing GBTA and RBTA in different tanks but sharing the same sump would be a no no with out a boat load of carbon.

If you stick to a single type say RBTA does it matter if they are not clones of each other?

So mixing GBTA and RBTA in different tanks but sharing the same sump would be a no no with out a boat load of carbon.

If you stick to a single type say RBTA does it matter if they are not clones of each other?

Must be a clone

I have kept up to 5 different strains of BTA's in the same tank never had any problems with fighting, even when they are touching each other. As long as they are the same species they will not bother each other.

How do you know they arent fighting chemically?

We are talking about propagation with hundreds of nems, not a few in a tank.

I have observed chemical warfare between anemones of different species and they display signs of stress (gaping mouth, deflating, detaching, moving). Have you ever personally seen chemical warfare between two anemones of the same species?

I have observed chemical warfare between anemones of different species and they display signs of stress (gaping mouth, deflating, detaching, moving). Have you ever personally seen chemical warfare between two anemones of the same species?

Nope,

But I will take the word of Calfo & Shimek about it.

Back