Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

I used to have a lawn mower blenny years ago. I think it died in one of my tank moves or transitions. For some reason I never got another one again. I love these fish.

I just added this starry blenny today.
IMG_20230920_171232104.jpg

Canopy doing it's job. Cats would love to go fishing.
IMG_20230920_170446374_HDR.jpg

Very nice.
Thanks, I'm super happy with the Hydra32s. I really like the Mobius app and the setup was easy. I created a template, set what I wanted the peak to be, start and end time, and it did all ramping up and down programming for me. I really like the colors.

Right now I have them set to start at 11am and end at 11pm and I think the peak was at 4:30pm but it did that for me. I told it to peak at 5% for red and green, 25% for cool white, and 30% for all the blue variations. Looks around 14-16k to me. Then from 11pm to 11am I have the dedicated moon leds set to 1%. I still need to get some par measurements.

Screenshot_20230926-231320.png

Screenshot_20230926-231551.png

Oh and I have the front and back reef breeder lumen led strips. The strip lights themselves are nice but the inline "controller" is a piece of junk. It can't keep its time when power is disconnected. Completely useless to me.

I removed the controller and just have them go on at 100% controlled by the apex. And with the 5 Hydras I'm not sure I really need them. If I could control them better I'd be super happy with them.

For now I have one of them set to run from 3pm-5pm and the other staggered to run from 4pm-6pm. Overlapping to match the peak time before and after the Hydra's peak of 4:30.

The strip lights themselves are nice but the inline "controller" is a piece of junk. It can't keep its time when power is disconnected.
If the timer resets to midnight, set your dimming as though midnight was your start time. Then when the apex turns on the power the lumenbar will run it's program. I had to do that with a different light that the time would reset if the power went off. Of course if it loses the dimming program as well in a power loss it won't work anyway.

If the timer resets to midnight, set your dimming as though midnight was your start time. Then when the apex turns on the power the lumenbar will run it's program. I had to do that with a different light that the time would reset if the power went off. Of course if it loses the dimming program as well in a power loss it won't work anyway.

It doesn't seem to loose the programming but the time resets to 12. Power can randomly go out and cause the schedule to be completely off for ramp up and down. I also have my apex setup to switch off my front canopy lights and turn on if off the back light strip when I open the front canopy section so I don't blind myself and I can see into the tank.

With the way the return is setup with one in each upper corner and being shorter I'm not sure I'll setup another gyre.

I am pretty happy with the flow so far. I didn't set the gyre up as high as before. I do having it running at about 70% instead of 100% I had on the 6' 180. That's supposedly about 3710gph. Then the return is at about 70% on the DCT15000 and with the estimated head hight I'm looking at an estimated 900-1000gph. I do have the gyre programmed to run in reverse for a couple minutes every 6 hours to perform a self cleaning.

The upper corner returns I have those pointing towards the front glass and inward slightly. Then the gyre I don't have as high up as I did before. So, between the gyre and return I have a upper current, middle current, and lower current going on.Can see those currents with the way the gorgonians are tilted. If one was higher it would be swirling toward the middle and overflow box.

10:50pm lighting going on here too about to switch off and over to moon lighting. Phone switched into night mode to brighten this up.
IMG_20230929_225426137.jpg

IMG_20230929_225436618.jpg

Last edited:
With the new build and everything looking good I guess I'm in an experimental mood again.

I ran across this Algae Scrubber by WSR. Water Stream Refugium on eBay. It doesn't look like this person has any other presence online except a few videos on YouTube? Compared to what's out there right now the prices are down right cheap and a great value. Looks like he also makes some hang on refugiums and chaeto tumblers for sumps.

For what he calls his Algae Clean Scrubbers (ACS) he has a nice line up of options and has a video for them.

I picked up the Quad. Why not. Go big or go home right? And I got it in yesterday.

It seems to be built well and I like how the spray bar sits in exactly one way. The lights also slide up and down very well. Very little light spillage.

I also go the adjustable tank mount that works really well and it sits in it perfectly. With this and with the way the side flow is setup if for some reason both pipes get clogged up it will just flow up and litte more and spill back into the sump.

IMG_20231006_175208378.jpg

IMG_20231006_175223133.jpg

IMG_20231006_175240457.jpg

IMG_20231006_175323463.jpg

IMG_20231006_175334176_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231006_175254158.jpg

IMG_20231006_184331841_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231006_184244234.jpg

What I don't like is it came with a single power adapter with a 4 way splitter and there is no reliable dimmer. That splitter is nice to save space but it severely limits the intensity of the lights. Right now with that 4 way splitter its only running at 18w total between all 4 fixtures. The single power supply with a splitter for two fixtures is probably good for the normal ACS setup but not the quad. My Turbo Aquatics R4 L8 is running at 41w.

I just bought a couple new power supplies to amp up the juice a bit more. My goal is 36w total.

Now, what I've done is something I don't think I've ever done. I took my skimmer offline. I don't plan to ditch the @Turbo's Aquatics ATS at all. I love it. It's amazing. I highly recommend them. Build quality and engineering is perfect. When the R5 comes out I'll probably get it. I bought the R3 and R4 too.

So, I'll up my iron dosing just a tiny bit. I'll feed just as much as I have always done which is a LOT. And see how it goes.

Resize_1d192d2d-cc9f-4257-a6f2-ba2ce9f8dd8a20231007_095726.jpg

Resize_ed058ead-f69c-4ec6-8187-ff74861965c220231007_095728.jpg

So, I usually pull the ATS screen to clean every couple weeks. I pulled the Turbo screen early to "seed" the new WSR screen. I pulled some from the Turbo and rubbed all over on the WSR screens.

1 week since last cleaning and close a month of a new start with it on the Turbo's ATS. More green

IMG_20231007_103040733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_103046342.jpg
    IMG_20231007_103046342.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
With the new build and everything looking good I guess I'm in an experimental mood again.

I ran across this Algae Scrubber by WSR. Water Stream Refugium on eBay. It doesn't look like this person has any other presence online except a few videos on YouTube? Compared to what's out there right now the prices are down right cheap and a great value. Looks like he also makes some hang on refugiums and chaeto tumblers for sumps.

For what he calls his Algae Clean Scrubbers (ACS) he has a nice line up of options and has a video for them.

I picked up the Quad. Why not. Go big or go home right? And I got it in yesterday.

It seems to be built well and I like how the spray bar sits in exactly one way. The lights also slide up and down very well. Very little light spillage.

I also go the adjustable tank mount that works really well and it sits in it perfectly. With this and with the way the side flow is setup if for some reason both pipes get clogged up it will just flow up and litte more and spill back into the sump.

View attachment 32391609

View attachment 32391610

View attachment 32391611

View attachment 32391612

View attachment 32391613

View attachment 32391614

View attachment 32391615

View attachment 32391616
Nice, link please or sellers eBay name.

Nice, link please or sellers eBay name.
eBay seller name is weirdly nothing relating to WSR opha6987-xijafayf lol

SFS = side flow
DFS = down flow so drains are directly underneath
ACS # the # = screen size like ACS 10 is 6x10 and the biggest besides the quad version of it. ACS 5 is about 6x5 screen.

Then lots of mounting options like hang on back, hang in tank, mounts for in tank and over tank. Set in sump. Etc.

I think I bought his last quad that was in stock. But honestly it's WAY overkill for my 120. Heck I would be fine with the normal ACS 10 non-quad one when I had my 180. I had a similar sized L3 or L4 Turbo ATS and it did amazing. When Bud came out with the L8 with the Rev 4 I went for it. The L8 and Quad ACS 10 would be good for well over 300g or even over 500g sized tank. But it's really more about how much food you feed and a normal sized ACS 10 that WSR has in stock can handle quite a bit and probably what I should have gotten.

Here's Bud's recommendations for sizing his ATS and the normal ACS 10 is close to a L4 screen size wise I believe https://www.turbosaquatics.com/choosing-a-scrubber-size/

Back