Red and Green LED's....

SPotter

Has anyone added Red and Green LED's to their fixtures and have you noticed any difference in appearance and growth?

Full spectrum can never hurt.

I'm not too familiar with the green and reds, but one thing i know is there are quite useful.

1. Helps bring out the true vivid colors in corals
  2. Looks VERY cool

Do some searching...red really isnt the way to go. You can get the red spectrum from neutral or warm whites without going directly with red. The red spectrum is very overpowering and has been said to actually hurt coral growth as well as increase algae growth

I will do some additional research. I use red's on an algae turf scrubber that I am running and the algae growth is amazing so I can see your point. I am looking at an LED fixture for my new tank that gives you the option to add RGB led's to it for an additional cost and I am trying to figure out if its worth it.

the new Ecoxotic Panorama fixtures have RGB options for much less $$$

but the Genesis is an awesome fixture.

I looked at those and to get the coverage I think I will need on my tank, I will need about 120 LED's and when I priced it out, it was maybe 1k cheaper than the sfiligio. At that point, I'd rather go the extra grand for a nice clean unit. I do appreciate the feed back.

link didnt work.

I have thought about diy. I have made a couple of smaller diy led fixtures one for my frag tank and a couple for my ats with ease. But doing 120+ leds is a little intimidating to me.

Oh yea...I dont think RC like reef//builders, seems like a 4 letter word around here

They are on there, looks like a decent fixture

I havent...I went another direction on my tank so I had to deal with that first. I am absolutely dead set on finding something very clean to hang over my rimless. That has been my hang up to this point. The DIY route I can do Im just not sure of the cleanliness of them...Im also looking at AI, Reeftech, and the Radion

what size tank are you wanting to put this on??

I saw those and spoke with ecotech about the fixtures. I would need 6 of them to get sufficient coverage on tge tank I'm having built. I'd like to see if they come out with some type of a rail system like AI has to hang multiple units.

Steve

I saw those and spoke with ecotech about the fixtures. I would need 6 of them to get sufficient coverage on tge tank I'm having built. I'd like to see if they come out with some type of a rail system like AI has to hang multiple units.

Steve

[violation]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man i would love to see that tank!!!!! Im having a hard time deciding between the sfiligoi and ecotech. Both are going to run me the same amount of money. Advantage to having 6 units is if one breaks i still have 5 working where as with one big fixture if it goes down.....i have no lights.

Steve

Oh man i would love to see that tank!!!!! Im having a hard time deciding between the sfiligoi and ecotech. Both are going to run me the same amount of money. Advantage to having 6 units is if one breaks i still have 5 working where as with one big fixture if it goes down.....i have no lights.

Steve

Aside from any other reasons, the Sfiligoi customer service in the US is AWFUL while the Ecotech Customer service is AMAZING.

(I ordered a pair of Radions)

Back