Red Bug Treatmen outside the tank

Rao

Hi, i notice that some of my acros have RB, i have a 600+ Gal sistem, and i don´t want to theat the wole system, i can remove all the acros easily, is posible to erradicate the bugs trating the acros in a bowl and then returning to the tank? wich is the procedure to do it?

Tank´s

Raul

If you had the corals in your tank for a few minutes, noticed them then took them out, then most likely one or two jumped to another coral. I guess it might be just me but since i dont have shrimp in my tank, i like treating the whole tank because that way i know my stuffs safe and when i sell coral i feal better about my self. I just need to buy pods to restart my system.

I am not sure about all the info treating outside the tank. I used to have RB before but treated my whole tank . The only thing I lost was just pods and the rest survive the in tank treatment.. hope someone chimes in to help you out...

If you want to remove the coral then it might be better to set up a ten gallon tank throw a small power head in here a heater and treat in there like melev does.

Ok one of the problems will be that i have a very mature tank and the death of the pods can make some amonia spike plus the cost of the large water changes. The question is more abot breaking the live cicle of the bugs, of couse they can live for a while in digis or porites bur eventualy they will starve to death rigth?. So it will be a matter of making regular Interceptor dips till the live cicle breacl down, or i´m wrong??

It was more directed at the option to remove corals and treat. You need to take out digis as well or you could miss one or 2. Then you are back to square one.

The RB are live bearers. The in tank treatment protocols are more to make sure you get every last one rather than break the life cycle. I found length of the dip to be more important. I did 2 treatments at 2X strength for 12 hrs. My pods came back after just a little re-seeding.

Well I did just that. I had one acro colony that was infected. I examined every other colony with a macro lens and zoomed in on the computer for closer look. It seemed to be just the one colony. I removed it and treated outside of the tank and put back in. That was about 4 months ago. I have not seen any reoccurance of red bugs. I might have just been lucky?

I documented the treatment in my build thread...on page 10:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1446213&perpage=25&pagenumber=10

Good luck.
- Will

Back