Red Flatworms (Planaria)

CorbetJackson50

My tank has become overcroweded with these little buggers, i would like to get rid of them naturally opposed to flat worm exit. I have been reading about possibilities of wrasses and more apealing mandarins possibly eating them. I was really wanting to get a mandarin anyways, i would rather not get both because i then may run low on pods. Tank is 90 g with 36g hob fuge and aprox 200lbs live rock ( i know thats tons and thats why i dont want to use flatworm exit because there are so many pods i cant not possibly remove dead or alive) Has any one had success with mandarins eating flatworms, i know my flatworms started up shortly after i lost my mandarin.

36 gallon hob fuge 48" it is one that i custom built, well it is actually a sob fuge (sit on back as it does hav a little suppport as a shelf off the back of the stand.

thats what i would like to hear hopefully some others will have had the same experience, maybe my mandarin was keeping the population so low i never noticed and now my mandarin has been gone about a month and a half i now have flatworms everywhere.

Maybe your Mandarin died from eating them since they're toxic. The Velvet is the only predator that I've known of that's immune to the toxins in those worms.

Wow the exact same thing happend to me! When i had my mandrine i never seen the flat worms. But now since my mandrine is gone i see a decent amount of them.. i never new mandrines ate flatworms..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6909483#post6909483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XeniaMania
Maybe your Mandarin died from eating them since they're toxic. The Velvet is the only predator that I've known of that's immune to the toxins in those worms.

well then they must die slowly after substantial growth, because mine is still kicking.

i bought a green mandarin AND a 6 line..neither touched mine. finally i slammed my tank with FWE. just a warning, follow the directions EXACTLY if you decide that route.

I had a ton of the same worms you're describing. I siphoned as many as I could as described on the bottle. Nuked em and didn't hurt a thing. I say smoke em if you got em. I was like you and very weary about using FWE. I actually owned it for 6 months before I got the nerve up to use it. I'm glad I did now.

Phillip

Back