Red Sea Exporting???

tjohnson27209

So I was in my LFS yesterday and a customer came in and saw a Purple Tang that was in the display tank and said "ya see that purple tang? Well the Red Sea has stopped exporting fish." Is there any truth to this? I ask because I know a lot of desjardini tang's are also caught in the Red Sea. If you have a link to this topic please post. I'd be interested in reading why they stopped exporting.
-Tyler

I highly doubt it. This is one of those rumors that just seems to keep popping up from time to time.

Collection there was/is spread between about 4 or 5 different countries, so it would take an international effort to actually ban collection in the entire Red Sea. Also, there's really no reason to do it as there are only about 2 dozen collectors in the entire region anyway. It's an extremely low-impact fishery there.

The two main threats to the Red Sea fish supply are political instability and exporters simply going out of business. At this point the main countries where collecting occurs are unaffected by the revolts, so political instability shouldn't be having any immediate effects. However, there are only 2 or 3 exporters left in the region. If they went out of business it could eliminate the Red Sea fish supply, even in the absence of an actual ban, but I doubt that they would all go under.

Oh okay I've just been in the hobby for 3yrs and I've never heard anything like this before except for tonga rock not being collected anymore so I was like uh-oh. Thanks for the input guys!!!
-Tyler

Oh okay I've just been in the hobby for 3yrs and I've never heard anything like this before except for tonga rock not being collected anymore so I was like uh-oh. Thanks for the input guys!!!
-Tyler

thats still being sold and collected also.
so is many other types of rock that is supposedly no longer collected

Most of the Red Sea fish that have been coming into the hobby lately have come from Yemen. With the problem of explosive toner cartridges coming from Yemen in air freight shipments they have pretty much shut down the ability to ship live fish from Yemen. I suspect that they are requiring 24 hour lock down of all cargo and extensive screening before cargo can leave Yemen. It has really hampered the shipping of fish from the area. It is not a ban on collection but air freight problems that has closed down most of the red sea shipments. Saudi has stopped shipments except on a case by case basis and it is impossible to sustain a business that can only ship on the whim of a government official. A few shipments have come from Jordan but the logistics of that are difficult because the fish have to come from neighboring countries and transport again is difficult. When demand gets high enough someone will start up in a new spot and have a go at it. Maybe it is time for someone to get Djibouti started up again.

Rock from Tonga should not be coming in. The government of Tonga put a ban on the collection and export of rock from Tonga. Unless that has been lifted (and I have not heard of any such action) then any rock from Tonga would be smuggled rock. More likely is that an importer is calling rock from another area "Tonga" rock to hide the true source and maybe be able to charge a little more for having the exclusive "Tonga" rock.

Dave

Most of this is all rumor, to outlaw fish in the entire Red Sea would require mutal agreement and action from some of the most uncooperative countries in the world. What's more the inpact on the environment is extremely low so they have no real reason (Not that sense or reason ever make a difference in political matters)

There is no mutual agreement or cooperation between countries to ban collection. Rather independant circumstances have come up that has stopped the flow of Red Sea fish. Some countries have banned the export, others have air freight restrictions that have kept live animal exports grounded. Others have no collection or export facilities at present. I suspect that something will pop up when demand gets high enough. Saudi has a partial ban in place, Yemen has freight restrictions, Egypt has internal problems to deal with, Jordan has difficulty getting fish via Saudi, Israel has a ban.

Dave

Most of the Red Sea fish that have been coming into the hobby lately have come from Yemen. With the problem of explosive toner cartridges coming from Yemen in air freight shipments they have pretty much shut down the ability to ship live fish from Yemen. I suspect that they are requiring 24 hour lock down of all cargo and extensive screening before cargo can leave Yemen. It has really hampered the shipping of fish from the area. It is not a ban on collection but air freight problems that has closed down most of the red sea shipments. Saudi has stopped shipments except on a case by case basis and it is impossible to sustain a business that can only ship on the whim of a government official. A few shipments have come from Jordan but the logistics of that are difficult because the fish have to come from neighboring countries and transport again is difficult. When demand gets high enough someone will start up in a new spot and have a go at it. Maybe it is time for someone to get Djibouti started up again.

Rock from Tonga should not be coming in. The government of Tonga put a ban on the collection and export of rock from Tonga. Unless that has been lifted (and I have not heard of any such action) then any rock from Tonga would be smuggled rock. More likely is that an importer is calling rock from another area "Tonga" rock to hide the true source and maybe be able to charge a little more for having the exclusive "Tonga" rock.

Dave

this is what i heard too

A number of you need to review the rules again. I don't want to delete more sales, group buy, or political posts from this thread...

There is no mutual agreement or cooperation between countries to ban collection. Rather independant circumstances have come up that has stopped the flow of Red Sea fish. Some countries have banned the export, others have air freight restrictions that have kept live animal exports grounded. Others have no collection or export facilities at present. I suspect that something will pop up when demand gets high enough. Saudi has a partial ban in place, Yemen has freight restrictions, Egypt has internal problems to deal with, Jordan has difficulty getting fish via Saudi, Israel has a ban.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Its always great to get the info straight from some one in the know like yourself. It's also what has been told to me as well :)

Sounds like Vince needs to go back to Djibouti ;)

Dear All,
Recently, the red sea fishes in the market is from Sudan, Yemen and Eritrean. The supply is stable in the market. Always able to find red sea fishes.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Blue zoo aquatics has been selling some tonga rock for a fews months now. they put out a email a while back on how they have it but i dont remember the details

The Red Sea collection stopping when in regards to purple tangs is a rumor that has been going around for 25 years.

Yup, rumor, I checked with my salesrep and her company hasn't had any problems out of the ordinary getting Red Sea fish.

So I was in my LFS yesterday and a customer came in and saw a Purple Tang that was in the display tank and said "ya see that purple tang? Well the Red Sea has stopped exporting fish." Is there any truth to this? I ask because I know a lot of desjardini tang's are also caught in the Red Sea. If you have a link to this topic please post. I'd be interested in reading why they stopped exporting.
-Tyler

Ha they will never stop exporting fish, never. The supply is affected by the tension in the Middle East. High tension low exports. That is a way of living for far too many people in those country's where jobs are scarce and going to the market might be the last time you ever leave your house. People say this all the time. The country's that export fish from the Red Sea don't care about their own people so don't expect them to start caring about fish

Back