Red Sea Max Owners Club

Hank - Aren't firefishes known to jump? Do you put covers for your tank to prevent this? I'm thinking of getting a jawfish and wanted to know what people have done to cover the top of their tanks beside using egg crates.

Yes, they do jump, and sometimes egg crate isn't good enough. Many people recommend using some type of mesh.

Is their a limit on how much live rock one can add to their tank? I was looking to add 60 lbs of live rock to my RSM. Would this be too much?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191529#post13191529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kveille
Is their a limit on how much live rock one can add to their tank? I was looking to add 60 lbs of live rock to my RSM. Would this be too much?

I am definitely not an expert but I do not believe adding that much rock would be detrimental other than it would cut down on your total water volume. I originally had about 50 lbs in my RSM but cut back to about 30 lbs just to give more space for the fish to swim and to me it just looked better. At first it looked like I just dumped rock in the tank no matter how I tried to aquascape it. After taking out around 20 lbs and adding a few corals it(again to me) looks more like part of a reef and not a pile of rocks at the bottom of the quary. One place I had read about rock when I first got started suggested adding up to 2 pounds per gallon.

I don't know about anyone else but I haven't received an e mail in two days notifying me of a new post on the thread. Anyone else having the same issue?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13195286#post13195286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brycek
I am definitely not an expert but I do not believe adding that much rock would be detrimental other than it would cut down on your total water volume. I originally had about 50 lbs in my RSM but cut back to about 30 lbs just to give more space for the fish to swim and to me it just looked better. At first it looked like I just dumped rock in the tank no matter how I tried to aquascape it. After taking out around 20 lbs and adding a few corals it(again to me) looks more like part of a reef and not a pile of rocks at the bottom of the quary. One place I had read about rock when I first got started suggested adding up to 2 pounds per gallon.
Brycek
Have you posted a picture of your tank on Reef Central? If not, can you post one so I can see what 30 lbs looks like. Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13195309#post13195309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brycek
I don't know about anyone else but I haven't received an e mail in two days notifying me of a new post on the thread. Anyone else having the same issue?

This thread is behaving flaky for some reason. Let me know if you continue to have issues. You might try unsubscribing and resubscribing.

Yesterday I got my Outer Orbit 250W HQI/HO T5 light fixture. It assembles easy with the legs but would rather a little sturdier legs than the cheap plastic they use. The unit came with two HD timers, transformers for each set of LED's hanging kit, separate HQI ballast. When all is running the color isn't as yellowish as it is with just the HQI, I will get a Reeflux HQI 12K lamp to replace the 10K the unit came with, even the reeflux 10K looks much bluer than this one. Also the T5's are 420Nm & 460Nm which the 460Nm is just a colored bulb, useless other than adding color, so I'll replace them also with some 65K's to whiten it up when I'm not running the HQI. Right now mid-day the HQI added a little over 1 degree in one hour. I have no fans yet but will eventually install a good fan blowing across the water, that should level out the temps. Pics to come soon but I warn that the colors I don't like!

kveille I haven't posted any pics of the whole tank. I will try and do so in the next couple of days. I am still fighting a major red slime outbreak and just did a second dose of the red slime remover. Should be cleared up by tomorrow. When I dose the tank fills with microbubbles so would not be able to get very clear photos.

BrianD I got one e mail last night after posting and finally came to the site here a few minutes ago to see if there were any new posts. I am going to try unsubscribing and resubscribing now so we will see......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13196363#post13196363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
This thread is behaving flaky for some reason. Let me know if you continue to have issues. You might try unsubscribing and resubscribing.

I just went to my rc page and under subscribed threads some how this thread had been deleted..........hmmm I don't know

Just a little update on my sump/refugium...... I am still waiting on my lifereef prefilter/overflow box. I e mailed jeff at lifereef last night and got a reply saying it had been shipped on Tuesday no tracking number no other information. I would have thought seeing as the site states they ship ups I would have at least got a tracking number. Anyways, I have eveything else waiting ready to go I haven't filled the sump yet as planned since I am dealing with this cyano outbreak still and using the red slime remover, all of the water I had made up for the sump I will be using to do a major water change tomorrow. I am making some more RO water now but my unit is only 25gpd and I am lucky if I get 6 gallons. I am going to be getting some Chaeto wasn't sure at first what I was going to put in the refugium but found a guy about 3 blocks from my house said I could come over and take as much as I wanted. My closest LFS had several types of macro algaes but wanted 10-15 bucks for a ziploc baggy full. With all of this I did have a question maybe some one can answer...
The refugium light I got with this kit came with the 2 6500k full spectrum bulbs. Will they work just fine for the chaeto or do I need something different?

OK, Pics of new light!
First two photos are with the 250W HQI 10K & T5's, I will replace this light soon with a 12 Reeflux!
NewRSMlight007.jpg

NewRSMlight011.jpg

Now with just the HO T5's.
I replaced two of the actinic's with 10K's.
NewRSMlight012.jpg

NewRSMlight013.jpg

NewRSMlight014.jpg

Scooterman67 Nice lights. That maybe my next project but not sure yet.

I lost one diamond goby a few weeks ago and purchased another one about 2 weeks ago and now I noticed I haven't seen him in about 2 days now. He does normally hide but comes out about 5 minutes after I feed with Rod's Food. I fed yesterday and again today just to see if I could get him to come out, no such luck. I checked for ammonia and nitrates but are reading zero right now. I did a ten gallon water change yesterday after I had finished dosing with the red slime remover and it is all gone. I will give it some more time and probably test again tonight but also am probably going to move my rock work around and see if the goby is dead and pinned behind rocks or if he is still alive and just hiding.

I reply & then suddenly stop getting the e-mails, so I quit the subscription & it still happens!

New lights are working out well, things seems to be adjusting as I add more time to the MH each day, right now I'm right at 4 hours a day & not getting much over 80 in the temp, using the tiny red sea mini fan (taped on the end) helps that much, one day I'll put a real fan on it & change out that nasty yellow 10K mh lamp to either a reeflux 10K or maybe a 12K, not sure just yet as I like the way the coral perked up since I've added the mh.

How Much LR?

How Much LR?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191529#post13191529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kveille

Nope, 60 lbs wouldn't be too much; many reefers agree on 2+ lbs per gallon. This also goes a long way towards keeping Nitrates down, as the bacteria inside the LR will gobble it up. Just keep in mind that you reduce water volume and fish swimming space in the process.

I've got about 40lbs in my RSM right now, not planning to add much more - but I see spots for just a few more pieces :D

Guys, I am subsribed as well, and the new post notifications are not working properly or something. Sometimes I get them, sometimes not.

Perhaps I should split off this thread into a new one and see what happens?

Hood Fan going bad

My RSM Hood fan has been running since Feb. Now its blowing at half speed and has been making a lot of noise, I cannot find the number for calling Redsea. Does anyone know the number to order replacement parts?

Thanks.

Steve

Back