Red Sea test kit shelf life/ or time limit to use?

slimfitz

Hello, I have used Red Sea test kits for a few years now. I was having problems with testing ammonia back in Dec with a new tank I was setting up. My test kit was expired. So I purchased another test kit that expires 12/18. Well I decide to test for ammonia this weekend and its high @ .8. Instead of doing anything drastic I let it be. And tested again today. It reads 1.2. I pulled out my old API test kits and tested they came up zero. I also had a new spare Ammonia Alert badge I stuck in my sump. It is showing zero also. Now I started thinking maybe this new Red Sea kit is bad. So I tested a vial of RODI water and another of my tank water. Sure enough the RODI came up showing ammonia. Here are both tests. My question is there a time limit once opened?

img_4535.jpg

img_4534.jpg

Not sure about the ammonia kits but I had the same thing happen with one of their alkalinity tests. The reagent had gone bad before the expiry date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The kit might have been stored in poor conditions for a while, or something else might have happened, maybe a poor batch of reagents. I'd get another opinion, if that were easy, but I about 99% sure that the kit has failed.

Thats why I was asking about shelf life or a useable time period once open. I used my last one for over a year.

Three months is an unreasonably short life. The manufacturer might replace it for you, although it might be more effort than it's worth.

Additional thought...

In thinking over the chemical reactions involved, if the organic reagents were "œbad" then the test would tend to give false negatives. Two possibilities for a false positive are the presence of an organic amine (not in RO water though) and the catalyst that colors the test solution yellow to yellow green going "œbad" or being impure. I agree that the observations point to the kit reagents being the culprit.

Back