Coming back after 15 years...

Still no word from the LFS with the Planet quote. It's only been a little over a week. I'll give it another week, then I'll assume they don't want my business. Leaning toward Cade anyway. Just would really like to see one in person before I pull the trigger.

I did some preliminary layout so we can get a visual on size. The small rectangle on the floor are dimensions of a Cade 1800 Peninsula. The larger rectangle on the floor and the wall are pieces of white quartz slab. I ran out of blue tape for the full wall outline, but you get the idea. I'll peel back the carpet, remove the baseboard, install the slab on the floor (perfectly level, mind you 😉), next day install the mirror image piece up on the wall. It will have holes to mount an aluminum L-bracket to suspend the lights. The floor slab will be 3" wider than the tank stand on both long sides & 12" longer at the short end. Perfect spot for a plant (or a bucket 😉). And the slab will make it easy-peasy when we want to get rid of that carpet & install LVT.

So... I may come off looking like a fool for saying this after all of the bad mouthing I did of Red Sea earlier in this post, but I'm now eyeballing the Max S 700 or 950 G2+ Peninsula as a possibility as they have Euro-bracing & aluminum stand. First I've seen of this 🤔🤔🤔 It's about $12K all-in for everything for the 900. Preliminary cost for the 1800 Cade + peripherals is about $4K higher, so bigger tank/lower cost with Red Sea. And no clue where Planet is yet.

Attachments

• TANK-SLAB OUTLINE.jpg
    TANK-SLAB OUTLINE.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Still no word from the LFS with the Planet quote. It's only been a little over a week. I'll give it another week, then I'll assume they don't want my business. Leaning toward Cade anyway. Just would really like to see one in person before I pull the trigger.

I did some preliminary layout so we can get a visual on size. The small rectangle on the floor are dimensions of a Cade 1800 Peninsula. The larger rectangle on the floor and the wall are pieces of white quartz slab. I ran out of blue tape for the full wall outline, but you get the idea. I'll peel back the carpet, remove the baseboard, install the slab on the floor (perfectly level, mind you 😉), next day install the mirror image piece up on the wall. It will have holes to mount an aluminum L-bracket to suspend the lights. The floor slab will be 3" wider than the tank stand on both long sides & 12" longer at the short end. Perfect spot for a plant (or a bucket 😉). And the slab will make it easy-peasy when we want to get rid of that carpet & install LVT.

So... I may come off looking like a fool for saying this after all of the bad mouthing I did of Red Sea earlier in this post, but I'm now eyeballing the Max S 700 or 950 G2+ Peninsula as a possibility as they have Euro-bracing & aluminum stand. First I've seen of this 🤔🤔🤔 It's about $12K all-in for everything for the 900. Preliminary cost for the 1800 Cade + peripherals is about $4K higher, so bigger tank/lower cost with Red Sea. And no clue where Planet is yet.
It's funny how often sales just get left on the table from poor follow up. I requested a quote from both Tenecor and Adavanced Acrylic. Tenecor sent me a message once telling me I would have a quote the next week (over a month ago now) and Advanced Acrylics never bothered to respond at all. Guess who's tanks I'm not buying? I ended up ordering a nano Eshopps Deskmate Florida and it is beautiful.

I can agree about Tenecor. Their customer service seems spotty at best. I reached out for a quote a year or so ago and never heard back.

Hello Everyone! OK, we were planning to purchase a Cade in the fall but Innovative Marine is having a sale! 50% off a 200 Peninsula. IM is on our shortlist as a possibility along with Cade/Red Sea/Planet/Glasscages. I can get this setup with 5yr warranty for thousands less than the others right now. I usually don't finance anything but Affirm will let me finance $8K with zero interest for 12 months, so why wouldn't we? If we can break this down to 12 zero interest payments, that would make this purchase pretty much a no brainer. I chose the EXT because I plan to closed-loop plumb a large UV directly to the back of the tank (and more tank space). The main downside I see with this tank is there doesn't seem to be much room in the cabinet for ATO (and other stuff) and some reviews mention no room in sump for a filter roller. Sump is acrylic so modification is probably impossible & would most assuredly void the warranty. It doesn't seem quite as well thought out & polished as Cade (no control panel in stand) but this price may push us over the edge. The stand also doesn't seem quite as stout as some of the others but this will be in a basement on a concrete floor.

Anyway, I'm looking for some feedback from IM tank owners, pros & cons are much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_070640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_070640_Chrome.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 13
The few IM tanks I’ve seen and had (nanos) seemed well built.

With that said, do they have a tank only option? Or perhaps using the money you save, could order a custom 80/20 aluminum stand to give more space for extra equipment? Just some thoughts.

Good idea! But I don't see an aquarium only purchase option & their site says "All NUVO aquarium's come with their APS aluminum stand". Using another stand may also void the warranty. I'm going to call them today. Also going to add heaters, fuge light, and ATO (if one will fit in stand). Site says they sell Neptune controller but cannot find them anywhere on their site. May as well try to max out to $8K since Affirm is letting me use their money for free for 12 months. Only downside I see to using the free money is if you miss a payment the huge interest kicks in retro to the beginning. That's not going to happen. Will buy Lights/UV/Filter Roller/Skimmer elsewhere.

I have their 100INT.
Just tank & stand, nothing else offered @ the time.
I am happy with it & was able to get a 40 breeder for the sump.
See if you can get yours this way.

I have skimmed through this thread. I would stay away from Red Sea. There new ones may be better but I would wait and see first if the problem is fixed.

Rimless aquariums stink. They look nice but water is always splashing out of them. My large lagoon always has water streaks down the outside from fish splashing. It is hard to even clean the glass without water splashing out. Fish also jump far more often from them. I have a few and really dislike them and I know they are all the rage.

Honestly the best is eurobraced if you can find one. They look clean and the lip help with splash.

I'M 200 EXT Peninsula is eurobraced (even the large Red Seas are now too).

Unfortunately, the only discounted items are stock, and they don't have any of that item (tank/stand only) in stock. If I just absolutely hate the sump, I'll sell it or use it on my QT tank.

Tank arrives middle of next week. I'm designing an 80/20 cantilevered light mount that will be mounted to the wall & suspended out over the tank. I have secured quartz slab material that will be cut approximately 3" larger than the tank footprint around all sides. This will be installed on the concrete floor. They're fabricating a 1" wide pitched trough into the slab on 3 sides. The slab will be perfectly level but the trough will be pitched toward the wall that the tank is on. Directly behind that wall is my basement floor drain. I will cut notches in the bottom plate & glue short pieces of 1" pvc. In case there is any kind of small/slow leak, the water will make it's way to the trough, to the pvc & into the floor drain. None of this is necessary. I'm just doing it because I have access to inexpensive slab fabrication & I think it will be cool! 🙂 I think the extra reveal of the slab around the tank footprint will look good, I think 🤔

I put my chosen light scheme in an online cart (see attached screenshot). I'd love to hear any feedback. BRS has circular hybrid mounting brackets for A360X but I cannot seem to find any specifically for A500X 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_091746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_091746_Chrome.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 5
I have skimmed through this thread. I would stay away from Red Sea. There new ones may be better but I would wait and see first if the problem is fixed.
I have a Red Sea 24g desktop peninsula. Only been up for 2 months but so far so good. From what I heard the failures had to do with the previous generations stands, mostly on the larger systems. They sent out a brace to repair it and the new generation tank and stand have been redesigned. If I have issues though I will be sure to let others know.

I have a Red Sea 24g desktop peninsula. Only been up for 2 months but so far so good. From what I heard the failures had to do with the previous generations stands, mostly on the larger systems. They sent out a brace to repair it and the new generation tank and stand have been redesigned. If I have issues though I will be sure to let others know.

I just saw a post and a picture of a reefer 250 fail today. This is not just a few tanks its a ton. The company tried to bury it and was deleting post and used another social media site to try and silence people. I would not support this company ever. All this loss of livestock. People floors ruined.

They deserve to go out of business. I would trust this company zero percent with any of my tanks.

If they would have fessed up and recalled the tanks I would be ok but to still deny their is a issue.

Last edited:
I just saw a past and a picture of a reefer 250 fail today. This is not just a few tanks its a ton. The company tried to bury it and was deleting post and used another social media site to try and silence people. I would not support this company ever. All this loss of livestock. People floors ruined.

that's disappointing to hear, but probably good because I would love to move to an AIO next fall/winter. Redsea has always appealed to me because of the clean simplicity but my greatest fear is coming home to my tank all over the floor. I actually dreamed about it the other night. it's not just the thousands of dollars in lost livestock, but the massive damage to the house that concerns me.

that's disappointing to hear, but probably good because I would love to move to an AIO next fall/winter. Redsea has always appealed to me because of the clean simplicity but my greatest fear is coming home to my tank all over the floor. I actually dreamed about it the other night. it's not just the thousands of dollars in lost livestock, but the massive damage to the house that concerns me.

Yea I could not tell you if it was only the first gen or if they fixed the issue. I know now some have armored seams so they most know there was a issue. They also have made other changes. I sold mine before this stuff started, after a year I looked at the stand and was like no way. I spent allot of time on it too. I totally think it is a stand issue and not a tank issue.

20180114_122646.jpg

Last edited:
Tank arrives Friday! 😍

New RO/DI purchased today. I got mine out of the Rubbermaid tote after 15 years & it was dry rotted 😂 The Guest fittings just snapped off when I touched them. Thanks to Steve @ Corner Reef for hooking me up!

Got out my 15 year old rock. Man, I've got some really large & nice pieces! And a bunch of Tongan stick rock! Barrel is filling up & it's going to cook for a few months.

The 80/20 light mount is in design phase - see attached screenshot.

Next: Vacation (LA - Redwoods - Yosemite - Napa - SF - Hwy 1 to Cambria, 3 days at a seaside resort - Hwy 1 to LA - Home). Can't wait! First time going to CA.

To do: Get the slab for the floor installed. Get lights & mount. Get it plumbed. Buy skimmer, UV, test kits & 25 other things in forgetting right now.

Already thinking about livestock. Mated pair of Clark clowns hosting in a Ritteri. And an eel. Japanese Dragon maybe? Months & months & months away from any livestock 😭

Also in the works, a whole house generator. Hopefully by the end of the year 🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424_174003_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_174003_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 3
Back