Red spots need possible ID

Lukes_Reef

My rocks are developing red spots (maroon ish color) and I'm trying to figure out what it is, if its good and if its not what should I do or what will eat it.
I will try to add a pic when I can get a clear shot to make it easier to ID.
Any help is appreciated

Probably just coralline algae. It encrusts on your rock and glass over time. Nothing to worry about. Pics will probably verify this.

coralline can grow many diff colors, from dark purple, to red, i have even heard some people getting a greenish color though im not entirely sure if thats coralline or not. I have currently light purple, dark purple, light red, dark red, I agree though, pics will help verify

I agree, likely coralline but we need more info. Coralline is calcerous and as a result is hard and difficult to scrape off. it usually grows in an encrusting form. If it's soft, fuzzy, dusty, and/or rubs off easily it is probably not coralline.

Thanks for the help, I am working on getting a pic loaded but having issues with photobucket on my phone. Just makes me nervous, I thought coralline was slow growing but this is coming pretty quick. Gut feeling says red slime...

No pic required - try to rub it off. If it comes off like dust, it's red slime or some other pest algae. If it stays put, it's probably coralline. Growth rate depends on conditions - if calcium and alkalinity are high and lighting is according to the preference of the variety you have in your tank, it'll take off like crazy under the right conditions. Other times it'll just stall.

Tried my best to get a shot of it...I'm now seeing a few green spots too.
IMG_20120916_103518.jpg

looking at the pic it appears to be cyanobacteria. A red slime outbreak is fairly common in new reef aquariums. Just goes to show how important a good picture (or description) is.

Were any corallines introduced into this aquarium?
What's your Mg level at?

Thanks Gary

Thanks Gary

Yes red and purple coralline were introduced fairly early.
I havnt been testing Mg, I will grab a test and get back to you on that.
So if it is cyano..coarse of action? I adjusted one of my powerheads down to get more flow on my rocks and cut my light cycle back. I want to take control of this before it becomes a serious issue.

No skimmer at the moment, SG @ 1.025 and no curing the rock, it was Florida dry reef rock and my research revealed that it wouldn't leech phosphates.

must get skimmer

and refracto

and run at 1.026

THEN take it from there.......

regardless.. it's new... expect a progression of nuisance algae blooms

proper levels of Mg, dKH and Ca will promote corallines

maintain an average density of full strength NSW for reef animals- same with temp. The most pristine reefs in nature occur where there is no surface runnoff.
AS AN ADDED BONUS a protein skimmer functions more efficiently with denser saltwater. There are other reasons to run at 1.026 but I'm not getting into them now.

Now... you don't HAVE to run at SG 1.026

I'm merely SUGGESTING that you do.

Back