Reef octopus skimmer help

ErosJN

I picked up a reef octopus today. Not sure the model but it stands 2 feet tall and collection cup is 10 inches in diameter.. its a pretty big skimmer. Im not understanding how to adjust water level inside skimmer. I placed a pvc pipe with a ball valve to adjust water level but it doesnt matter if i have the valve completely opened or closed, the skimmer overflows within seconds and the collection cup is filled immediately. It came with a bubble blaster 5000 pump. My previous skimmers were fine tuned directly from the pump so I'm lost here and without instructions, this has become quite a headache today. Any suggestions?

Hmmm.
I love talkin' Reef Octo. Best skimmer out there IMO
is it the REGAL 10" or perhaps the SRO 5000 INT.

Any pics? I would say start at 7-8" water depth and gauge from there...but we certainly need to keep the skimmer in perspective.

Im having issues posting pics at the moment. If you pm me your number i can send photos. Something is telling me it has to do with the intake. If i put my hand over the pump hole it dies down significantly.

ahhh
mine did the same. Impeller is jacked.or something in the pump. I talked to coralvue and bought a replacement pump

Thanks. I've been doing some research and found a few people who had overflow issues due to water level in sump aswell.

In the pictures I don't see how u r adjusting the water level in the skimmer?

I also would remove those metal clamps from the skimmer. Find a different way to connect it with a pvc fitting.

I would put a t in on that pipe and have a gate valve not a ball valve to adjust the outlet of water. I can try and get a pic of how I have done my skimmers to help u understand

My other slightly larger example built a little different in valve placement.

A ball valve will not work. U won't be able to make small enough adjustments.

The euro reef u have pictured above has an adjustable pipe that slides up and down. But the gate valve is much more accurate

Thank you. As of right now, I removed the pvc piping on the water return side and brought my sump water level down to 8 inches and the skimmers been working good for the last few hours. Ill try to make my way to getting a gate valve at some point today.

Also if u want all the pvc to match for looks schedule 80 pipe is the same color and will match the elbow attached to the skimmer already. Then what ever u do will look more factory. If u need any other help let me know. I would copy my first picture if it was my skimmer

My other slightly larger example built a little different in valve placement.

A ball valve will not work. U won't be able to make small enough adjustments.

The euro reef u have pictured above has an adjustable pipe that slides up and down. But the gate valve is much more accurate

What skimmer is that?! I like it!

Hey Roger how many gallons do you think your skimmer holds.? And 4 pumps right? What is the flow rete on pumps? That should give some scale for how big it is.

Reef octopus skimmer help

I have almost the same skimmer. Looks like your outlet is modified though. I'm not sure how you are adjusting the water level in your skimmer. This is mine

17ed9e52cb1b72c5da94df652510b4f9.jpg

Thank you guys for all the info. I took off the PVC pipes completely and because my sump is chamberless, I adjusted the water level to about 9-10 inches so even without a valve I've been getting phenomenal skimmate! I can't believe how much gunk this thing pulls out on a daily basis! Very happy with this purchase.

Hey Roger how many gallons do you think your skimmer holds.? And 4 pumps right? What is the flow rete on pumps? That should give some scale for how big it is.

It's about up to my ribs if I stand next to it. Galls I would guess it would fit between 15-20 gallons it's a 10 inch chamber. It has a feed pump and 2 large recirculating pumps. I think that's a 4 cup measuring cup in the pic on the tank and the skimmer goes down about a foot or so below what u can see. I wish I could find one more of these I would buy it in a flash

Thank you guys for all the info. I took off the PVC pipes completely and because my sump is chamberless, I adjusted the water level to about 9-10 inches so even without a valve I've been getting phenomenal skimmate! I can't believe how much gunk this thing pulls out on a daily basis! Very happy with this purchase.

Glad u got it working will but trust me u will be very happy if u add a gate valve

Back