Reef octopus varios pumps (any good?)

snake1

Premium Member
Has anyone had any experience with these I'm looking at purchasing the reef octopus various 2 pump and was wondering what others think about their performance and longevity, I'm looking at this being my main pump and feed a few reactors also. thanks in advance.

I like mine. I especially like the float switch to keep the tank from overflowing if there's a blockage on my overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the varios6 as a return pump for my 120 and I use the varios4s as the pump on my skimmer. I was planning on going vectra, but went with the varios because I can control them with my apex. I've been using them for a year and I'm very happy with them.

They're quiet, easy to clean, and they start up no problem. Using delay and ramp up programming for feed modes and startup through the apex is awesome.

I personally don't think a varios2 has enough horse power to be a return for a 60 AND teeing off to suppmy one or more reactors. Id probably consider a 6. Better to have a bit much and dial it back than not enough. For reference, I run the 6 at max for my 120 and I dont tee it off to feed anything else and it's just right. I run the 4s at 62% on my ATB small cone skimmer.

Last edited:
I like mine. I especially like the float switch to keep the tank from overflowing if there's a blockage on my overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the varios6 as a return pump for my 120 and I use the varios4s as the pump on my skimmer. I was planning on going vectra, but went with the varios because I can control them with my apex. I've been using them for a year and I'm very happy with them.

They're quiet, easy to clean, and they start up no problem. Using delay and ramp up programming for feed modes and startup through the apex is awesome.

I personally don't think a varios2 has enough horse power to be a return for a 60 AND teeing off to suppmy one or more reactors. Id probably consider a 6. Better to have a bit much and dial it back than not enough. For reference, I run the 6 at max for my 120 and I dont tee it off to feed anything else and it's just right. I run the 4s at 62% on my ATB small cone skimmer.

I have one on my regal int 300. Silent and running for 6 months

Thanks guys unfortunately I ordered a varios2 the other night and now after extensive research and some reponses I'm wondering if I made a mistake and should of went with the larger model. I contacted the company I purchased through I will have to wait until tomorrow for an email back from them hopefully I can catch them in time before it's shipped. I agree with the above response and maybe I should go with the various 6 and just dial it back.

Always good to oversize a dc pump!!! Worst case u have to pay shipping back to return it. Don’t open the box and return it for the larger pump

Always good to oversize a dc pump!!! Worst case u have to pay shipping back to return it. Don’t open the box and return it for the larger pump

Just ordered the varios 6 and the company is sending me a return label for the varios 2.

I have been running the rodc5500 for about 3.5 years. It was perfect until last week. It didn't start but I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I run it on my 250 and 40gallon frag tank. It is plenty of flow for both going through the sump. I am about to add an 80 gallon and may go up to the 8. Still not sure I need the extra flow. I use plenty of power heads.

Back