Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

i've been following some earlier advice and only thoroughly clean the cup (remove it, rinse everything in the sink, wipe with paper towels) once every week or two. every 2-3 days i take a toothbrush and just scoop off the scum around the inside of the riser in the cup, this lets it work efficiently without disrupting the skimming like a thorough cleaning does.

I happy to report that my skimmer has really taken off. I am going to be switching though to a feed pump instead of gravity feeding as I am getting the big air bubbles. Would a Quiet One 3000 be okay. I do plain on upgrading the needlewheel and cup.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13492267#post13492267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trueperc
I happy to report that my skimmer has really taken off. I am going to be switching though to a feed pump instead of gravity feeding as I am getting the big air bubbles. Would a Quiet One 3000 be okay. I do plain on upgrading the needlewheel and cup.

Quiet One 3000 will work fine. I would still add a valve jsut in case you desire to dial it down some.

I was taking mine to the sink and cleaning the whole neck, squeaky clean with hot water and towels. This was too much.

I now do this every six weeks. Weekly, I just wipe the thick stuff with a paper towel, flush the drain tube, and clean out the venturi with a pipe cleaner. Takes about 10 minutes for me.

This skimmer (200) is really frustrating me. It overflows nonstop with the drain wide open. The air valave is wide open. The cup leaks (I guess by design). Am I supposed to allow it to overflow nonstop until it "breaks in"?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13497354#post13497354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jblaze
This skimmer (200) is really frustrating me. It overflows nonstop with the drain wide open. The air valave is wide open. The cup leaks (I guess by design). Am I supposed to allow it to overflow nonstop until it "breaks in"?

Something is not right with the way you set the skimmer up. There is no way the skimmer would over flow with everything wide open with a reeflo 200 in stock format. The cup should not leak. Was the oring installed correctly with silicone grease? How are you feeding the skimmer? Can you take any pics of it set up and running and shots of the plumbing to and from the skimmer?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13497354#post13497354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jblaze

If you made the same mistake I did when I first set mine up I put the shipped drain pipes on in the wrong order and my "T" was way to high.

The wrong way
IMG_0982.jpg

After correction
orca250_jdev_06.jpg

Its still a bit too high but I can't fix it until I raise the skimmer a bit but even with the current setting it is pulling a ton of crud out.

JRaquatics put the new Reef Specialty NW on for me tonight. It's pretty impressive to say the least. I'll definitely post some pics after the pump breaks in. There is a HUGE difference already.

Thanks again Mike and Jeremy.

Yes, check your o-ring as well as ensuring you put the correct pipe in the correct location (common mistake). The small dinky o-ring is prone to moving when you place/rotate the cup. It's one of my biggest complains and a place that it didn't make any sense for them to go cheap.

My plumbing looks to be OK. The water level is right at the point where the cup meets the body. I didn't get the memo about the O-ring. I received 2 clear ones (o-rings). Where is the 2nd one supposed to go? I'm feeding it with a Mag 5. I'm wondering if I need to clean the skimmer again. The skimmer overflows like right after you put some Aquamend in the tank. If I can fix my camers, I'll post pics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13500774#post13500774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jblaze
My plumbing looks to be OK. The water level is right at the point where the cup meets the body. I didn't get the memo about the O-ring. I received 2 clear ones (o-rings). Where is the 2nd one supposed to go? I'm feeding it with a Mag 5. I'm wondering if I need to clean the skimmer again. The skimmer overflows like right after you put some Aquamend in the tank. If I can fix my camers, I'll post pics.

Fully open and feeding 500gph your water level should still be right below the top of the reeflo letters. + aqua mend will make any skimmer, specially high airpull skimmer. Why are you using aquamend? There is no need to clean the skimmer. Besides the cup and venturi, I have not yet cleaned my skimmer or have the need to.

I agree; any time I medicate my tank or dose anything my skimmer turns into a volcano. I always shut off the venturi when dosing the tank. You should do that regardless since you don't want the skimmer pulling all of the meds out of the water and or chemicals you just added. After a couple of hours I gradually turn the venturi back on to keep the water aerated, but its usually 24 hours before I'm back to full operation.

Regards,

Actually you should turn off the dart and leave the feed pump running if you feel stopping your skimmer temporarily. Closing the venturi will cause unnecessary stress on the pump. The needlewheel is built to suck in water, and in turn struggles hard to move just the water when it's closed, forcing it to tighten on the shaft, pushing the seal, straining the motor, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13501018#post13501018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Actually you should turn off the dart and leave the feed pump running if you feel stopping your skimmer temporarily. Closing the venturi will cause unnecessary stress on the pump. The needlewheel is built to suck in water, and in turn struggles hard to move just the water when it's closed, forcing it to tighten on the shaft, pushing the seal, straining the motor, etc.

Good point I did not consider that. I will do that from now on.

Thank You,

I'm not using Aquamend or any chemicals. The skimmer is like a volcano as if I had used them. I was wondering if there might be additional residue that I didn't clean out completely prior to use, thus requiring additional cleaning

Good afternoon folks!

Just a few questions from someone who is about to join your club. :D

1. I'm getting a 250 from a local source to put on my 210G & sump that I will soon be adding a 250G display to. Can I buy just the impeller and oversize cup from reef specialty?

2. What RPM is the Dart Gold running at? I am assuming it is worth it to upgrade to the gold?

3. As far as feeding the skimmer, I was thinking of oversizing the return pump and teeing all my misc. equipment off that (calc reactor, media reactor, skimmer, etc). I thought this might be the most efficient rather than running several individual pumps and eliminate some "junk" concerns that a similar "gravity" fed drain systems might have. Thoughts/concerns?

Any kind of residue from manufacturing would cause the absence of a stable head of foam. Where is the top of the tee coming off of the output located? Also is the output submersed? Do you dose any chemicals, dechlorinator or planktons?

Problem fixed, I had 2 pieces of PVC interchanged. What a difference an inch or 2 makes (thats what she said). Did you guys use the silicone grease on all the seals? Is it necessary?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13501328#post13501328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ryan009
Good afternoon folks!

Just a few questions from someone who is about to join your club. :D

1. I'm getting a 250 from a local source to put on my 210G & sump that I will soon be adding a 250G display to. Can I buy just the impeller and oversize cup from reef specialty?

2. What RPM is the Dart Gold running at? I am assuming it is worth it to upgrade to the gold?

3. As far as feeding the skimmer, I was thinking of oversizing the return pump and teeing all my misc. equipment off that (calc reactor, media reactor, skimmer, etc). I thought this might be the most efficient rather than running several individual pumps and eliminate some "junk" concerns that a similar "gravity" fed drain systems might have. Thoughts/concerns?

1 and 2) Yes you can get the cup and NW from Reef Specialty. I'd also recommend getting the Gold pump as well. I just put the Gold pump and new NW on a couple days ago and am very impressed with the difference. I'll be posting some before and after pics this weekend so everyone can see for themselves.

3) Teeing off your return is fine. JRaquatics is doing this. I'm sure he can help if you have any questions. I'm petty sure he has a few pics of how he did it earlier in this thread.

Back