Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13380498#post13380498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by in_flight
has anyone tried the upgraded neck and collection cup for the 200? what was the difference in performance?

Works Great. Allows greater control of wet and dry skimmate and the ability to handle more air.

DSCN3136.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13312484#post13312484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JRaquatics
The Reef Specialty upgrade wheel pulls almost double the air as the original reeflo wheel and also is a truer more balanced wheel.

Anyone have any pics of their skimmer in action with this new NW?

Jeremy~
Have you seen with your own eyes or have a pic of the actual numbers this pulls with an air meter? ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13413483#post13413483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BreadmanMike
Anyone have any pics of their skimmer in action with this new NW?

Jeremy~
Have you seen with your own eyes or have a pic of the actual numbers this pulls with an air meter? ;)

I don't have any pics of a 250 with the RS upgrade wheel or of a meter shot. I can get one this weekend if you like. I have seen these on the 250s though and they double the air in the skimmer. The wheels are well made and you can tell a big difference in quality between the stock pin wheel and the Reef Specialty one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13415253#post13415253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BreadmanMike
See if you can get a shot of the skimmer body. I'd like to see the bubbles. :)

Until then just image a solid white body and neck filled with micro bubbles. We are talking about a stock 60scfh skimmer pulling 100+scfh. It really does take the skimmer once again to the next level.:smokin:

You should have seen when I placed the 250 upgrade wheel on my 200. It nearly blew the lid off of the upgrade cup with it's 100+ scfh. I had to reduce my feed to about 50-100gph and open the output all the way up. You can sort of see were the water and air separate just below the top of the Reeflo lettering.

DSCN3003.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

Here is what Marco (wismaster) had to say on the RS site about the Complete 250 Pro kit:

"The reeflo 250 is a great skimmer performance wise, and bang for the buck. The PRO KIT turns this great skimmer into a SUPER SKIMMING MACHINE! I\'ve been running the Reeflo 250 PRO for several months now, and am positive that this is a GREAT skimmer. Our corals have really colored up, and are thriving. 265g display/500g total system with approximately 50 fish, 12 or so tangs, 1 trigger & few smaller fish. Talk about a bio-load! This is my 2nd Reeflo 250 - I had one early on in 2007, and switched to a Volcano. Biggest mistake. After about a year on the Volcano (spazz) beta program with lack of support, and slow service, I switched back to a reeflo - not just any reeflo though - The Reeflo 250 PRO. The tall cup allows much greater fine turning of dry/wet skimmate, and the ReefSpecialty Needlewheel Impeller takes this skimmers to new heights. We\'re pulling over 100 SCFH, bouncing between 100-120 with spikes at around 140 SCFH. Thank You Mike! Keep up the great Customer Service! Reef On"

Has anyone with a 250 and the needlewheel upgrade had any trouble getting it stable after installing the needlewheel? Mine used to be stable as can be before adding the wheel but after I am having a hard time dialing it in. Theres alot more air but I have to close the air valve a little to keep it from going crazy sometimes then other times it is not skimming at all and I have to open it all the way. Also I have had to back off my wedge pipe to slow the flow a bit. When it is working it skims way better than before but I just have to check it alot.

Last edited:
I am still using one of the prototypes. I know Mike @ RS is striving for the perfect performance out of the upgrade 200 pin wheel. I am also still waiting on the final pin wheel.

I put mine on about 3-4 weeks ago. Also I talked to Mike today and he gave me some help on how to dial it in. I think I might have had the water to high and needed to have the air valve open all the way. Anyhow I adjusted it just now and will let you know how it is running tomorrow. It also could have been the new wheel just needed to break in.

I have had my 250 up and running for 3 weeks this coming Sunday, and it still seems to be not pulling really anything much, I have the air full open, the pipe restrictor for the return is 3/4 towards the close, the bubbles are popping aroung the bottom of the neck, for a short period you might get some form action but not very long.
Just wondering if there is something wrong, because all I have read is incredible stuff about this skimmer in pulling a lot of crap out of the water.
Any advise would be appreciated

I have to say I am in the same boat at bigred, I have had my stock 250 with the gold pump running for for 3.5 weeks and every looks great and expected a 3 week break in but I have having the same issue at bigred, the neck is solid tiny bubbles but there is no real skimmate being produced.

They are still breaking in if the bubbles are popping pre-maturely. All I can advise is that it needs more time to break in. Mine took a little over 3 weeks and I ran it in a vinegar bath and ran skimmate into the skimmer on occasion to help build a slime coat. Soon enough you will see the raw power of these skimmers guys.

JR and others - I think my Reeflo 250 is due for full body cleaning. Any tips on how to drain it and get it to my sink without spilling water all over my condo? (I've got the old version without the drain in the base) Mine is sitting on the floor so I'm really not sure how I'd siphon water out of it...

Following up on my earlier post- I followed Mikes advice on where to have my water level and air and then I left it alone. It has been a week and has really started to perform. There is a steady head of foam now and no overflowing issues. I don't know if it was where I had everything set or if the new needlewheel just needed more time to break in. I assume it was a combination of both. Anyway It is pulling a lot more air than before and seems to be getting pulling more skimmate than before. This skimmer was amazing before and even better now.

Mike if you read this- Thanks again for all the help.

Also, for new setups, be sure the skimmer is totally level. If you are gravity feeding, make sure you are not pushing air into the needle wheel. Correcting these problems got mine going.

Also, every time I clean it too much, it might take a week to get going again. I backed way off the the degree to which I clean the cup, and I get uninterrupted service from it now.

Back