Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

I think the bigger holes would be needed with the 'pro kit' because of the additional air draw. Can't see any other reason they would be needed.

I ran into this with an old beckett. When I removed the lid, the water level in the skimmer would change because it couldn't exhaust the air through the air holes. After opening the holes up, it was much better and made no difference if I had the lid off or not.

Does anyone have an original air valve just laying around because you replaced it with something else, or does anybody know where I can purchase a replacement stock air valve?

where do you keep the water level with the pump running?

On the stock units are most of you running it right a the flange or where the neck seperates?

I just upgraded from a 200 to a 250. I got it used locally.
It has the stock cup and the newer Baldor motor and I'm feeding it with a mag 9.5.
I'm having a problem that I never had with the 200 though.
It overflows the cup no matter how far I cut back the feed pump and the wedge pipe is fully opened. I even switched the needle wheel with an older one that came with the A.O Smith pump that my 200 came with. The T sits right at the lettering on the side of the body. When the recirc pump is off the water level is about 2" below the cup flange.
What am I missing?

The mag pushes 950 gph at 0 head.
No matter how much I restrict flow it still over flows...not just at start/restart either.
I have a feeling the riser tube is set to high but...it's where the previous owner had it with no problems.

Last edited:
I just looked at mine, the water level without air should be between the top of the reeflo sticker and the flange. The output pipe T should run the horizontal pipe with the top of the pipe below the letters of the stickers.

Mine has a gate valve mod, so not sure on the wedge pipe. As for air, do you have it wide open?

Sorry I'm giving more questions than answers.

Mark

Well that confirms my suspicion...the riser tube is to high for the standard neck/cup.
I'll have to contact PA or Reef Specialty to see if I can get replacement plumbing.
Or...I'll be getting the extended neck/cup in a couple a weeks. I'm thinking that should alleviate the problem. What do you think?

If you have friends in any machine shop, they can machine the end of the riser pipe (cut off at the T then put in a lathe to reduce to 1 1/2" - then you can simply use regular plumbing and while you are at it, put in a gate valve instead of the twist tube.

Mark

PS - don't have the pro cup so can't help there

Does anybody know anything about the 250 being discontinued??

are they replacing it??

I ask because I already have one......am adding another large system and want another. I heard they are no longer making them, some wholesalers can no longr get them and just curious if they are upgrading or replacing it with something else.

??

My Reef Creations is now making skimmers that bear the same name, but look like a different design. If MRC is now making them it is sort of ironic for me, since I upgraded from an inferior MRC beckett skimmer to the Orca (as did Mike Leonard). Coralvue (who made the bodies for the Orcas) is now making a skimmer that looks very similar but has another name and pump. I wish I knew the whole story.

This parting of ways could lead to a better product, but I fear it will more than likely spell the end of a great thing. Clearly I am very happy with my skimmer.

Anyone got any feedback on these skimmers Orca Pro 1 :

Not yet running - but as they are US made, I thought i would ask what the consensus was as there are a lot of posts relating to the older Orcas on here?

DeliveryofOrcaProSkimmer005.jpg

cabinetmods002.jpg

I have no direct experience with the new orcas. The old orcas had reeflo pumps and bodies made by coralvue. The new orca bodies are from My Reef Creations, who make decent but not exceptional skimmers. So I would predict that these new orcas will have a performance that will AT BEST match that of the old ones. Coralvue has taken the design tradition of the orca and improved further on it with their new skimmers, the hurricone line. I run an old orca 200 and it is a fantastic skimmer. The hurricones will probably be even better. JMO though, no direct experience.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15366278#post15366278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmckay
I have no direct experience with the new orcas. The old orcas had reeflo pumps and bodies made by coralvue. The new orca bodies are from My Reef Creations, who make decent but not exceptional skimmers. So I would predict that these new orcas will have a performance that will AT BEST match that of the old ones. Coralvue has taken the design tradition of the orca and improved further on it with their new skimmers, the hurricone line. I run an old orca 200 and it is a fantastic skimmer. The hurricones will probably be even better. JMO though, no direct experience.

Thanks for the information Kris - appreciated!

don't dis mrc products, andy diass the old owner just never manufactured anything other than becket skimmers. he had to leave the business for unrelated and less than noble reasons, the new owners are obviously just trying to catch up with skimmer technology.

if they can keep up his standards of workmanship, the product should be excellent.

i have a sump and a calc reactor from him, they are well made and have served me well. i had a skimmer from him for years before upgrading to a reeflo, it was a workhorse. he was a craftsman and a gentleman to do business with, and a great contributor to our hobby.

fwiw, your skimmer looks well manufactured and not unlike my old reeflo 200. just a lot more knobs than i'd expect you need, my skimmer is pretty much set it and forget it. i expect the airflow valve stays wide open, and you just take it off eventually. i have no idea what the valve on the rising tube is for, maybe maintenance. and having a gate valve vs. the old wedge is fine i guess, again the skimmer doesn't really need that level of tuning.

Last edited:
I was at the Southeastern Reef Conference last Saturday. MRC had a vendor stand where they were showing the new Reeflo skimmers. They had the large model - it's a real monster! Runs a Reeflo Barracuda! Think they said it'll be going for around $3200! - but boy did it look good! It exuded quality. Will be interesting to see how well it performs. Sure made a good impression. :)

Back