Regal Angel Primer

If you request, and did not buy. They cannot sale it, they would be reluctant to order another again.

I totally agree with that and under normal circumstances you are correct. As a business owner myself, I wouldn't do that to them. In this case, the fish that they ordered and what I wanted was supposed to be a small or Juvenile fish. Before I even saw it they made it very clear that I did not need to feel obligated to buy it since it was not what I ask for. These guys are really good about stuff like this and are great when it comes to customer service. They are hobbyists like us that decided to open the store in the back of their existing business because they had extra space in their building.

The regal came in from divers den today looking in very good shape. Acclimated it quickly and put it in my qt. Gave it a little frozen 30 minutes later and it ate right away.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The regal came in from divers den today looking in very good shape. Acclimated it quickly and put it in my qt. Gave it a little frozen 30 minutes later and it ate right away.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Congratulations. It is a beautiful fish. I got one recently from Jordan at amongthereef.com It is eating and looks great. Have had it for one week today. The Yellow Belly Regal is 3.5 inches in length. It will be in quarantine for a while.

Shelley

Another update, my first one continues to do well. I lost the second one on Monday in my QT tub. It came out and ate Sunday, but after not coming out Monday I moved a few rocks until I found her.

Sorry to hear. Where was this one from?

Saturday night I had to start ich treatment on the tank I have my Maldives baby regal in. It's still eating, but a little less ferocious. It's pretty well fed so I assume it just adjusting to the lowered energy consumption.

Regal Angel Primer

Alton - sorry to hear about your loss. Was it alone in the tank? They can get seclusive and not getting enough food.

Mine Maldives small continue s to do well. Amazing how much it eats. I can only feed the tank between 7-11 pm and I manage to get 3 feelings in. I start with flakes the two more feelings of frozen. in weekend I feed the tank like 8 times. It has gained a lot of weight and maybe some length as well.

I am thinking the multiple feedings here at work may have been the difference? At home she got two to three in a few hours in the evening. At work this one gets fed all day long

I think you are right. The little one just not have any reserve. My little one was eating too but I was able to feed him twice a day. He did not make it. Once they are agressively eat then twice a day is enough but not at first

Sorry to hear of your loss Alton. My little 2" one is eating well and fattening up. Hikari mysis shrimp was a big help. My LFS was only selling San Fran. brand which are bigger shrimp that this small angel couldn't handle. She loves finely sliced clam & blood worms and pellets. Since finishing QT she has been in a 10 gallon coral frag tank in my kitchen. A neon dottiback is her tank mate. Her next move is to a 125 gallon mixed reef. I have to admit that I'm afraid to move her to it for fear of having to tear the tank apart if there is a problem with the bossy Purple Tang keeping her from feeding.
My 3.5" Regal has been in a 90 with a 4" Yellow Tang for the past week. All was well until last night she got slashed in the side. Now instead of out in the open grabbing food from the current, it is running for cover whenever the Tang is near. I'll give it a couple of days to see if the Tang calms down, if not the Tang goes.

Sorry to hear of your loss Alton. My little 2" one is eating well and fattening up. Hikari mysis shrimp was a big help. My LFS was only selling San Fran. brand which are bigger shrimp that this small angel couldn't handle. She loves finely sliced clam & blood worms and pellets. Since finishing QT she has been in a 10 gallon coral frag tank in my kitchen. A neon dottiback is her tank mate. Her next move is to a 125 gallon mixed reef. I have to admit that I'm afraid to move her to it for fear of having to tear the tank apart if there is a problem with the bossy Purple Tang keeping her from feeding.
My 3.5" Regal has been in a 90 with a 4" Yellow Tang for the past week. All was well until last night she got slashed in the side. Now instead of out in the open grabbing food from the current, it is running for cover whenever the Tang is near. I'll give it a couple of days to see if the Tang calms down, if not the Tang goes.

Get some egg crate from Home Depot or somewhere and section off a part of the tank with it with the Purple Tang on one side and your new Regal on the other side for the first few days to give your Regal time to settle in without a hassle.

Don't even give your Purple Tang a chance to hassle the Regal - do it before you put the Regal in.

Get some egg crate from Home Depot or somewhere and section off a part of the tank with it with the Purple Tang on one side and your new Regal on the other side for the first few days to give your Regal time to settle in without a hassle.

Don't even give your Purple Tang a chance to hassle the Regal - do it before you put the Regal in.

+1

my purple tang has been rehomed in between my 4 tanks so many times.. just can't add any other fish after him. my CBB, Moorish Idol, wrasse.. all got harassed by the PT. bite chunks off the new fish..

full panic mode on and I start catching the PT at all cost.. then the PT has trust issues for the longest time, stops eating in the open and hides as soon as I appear.

I am thinking the multiple feedings here at work may have been the difference? At home she got two to three in a few hours in the evening. At work this one gets fed all day long

I think you are right. The little one just not have any reserve. My little one was eating too but I was able to feed him twice a day. He did not make it. Once they are agressively eat then twice a day is enough but not at first

My little guy was not overly skinny in the back, but hat a very empty stomach. It took a while to fatten him up.
It got in the beginning one, sometimes two feeding in the morning and between 1 and 3 in the evening, but nothing during the 9 to 10 h I'm away at work. Weekends sometimes more and sometimes less.
Though the tank had some algae on the glass it could pick off.
I paid a bit more attention during the first two weeks, but now I'm not really worried that he may not get enough. He is for sure the best eater in the QT, despite hyposalinity and antibiotics.

I think with these little ones it also depends a lot on their history: how they were caught and later handled during shipment.

I also feel that long term success with regals depends a lot on feeding them well. All of my bigger ones will eat any time I feed them. At times it feels like trying to fill a bucket with no bottom :D Especially the male of my Sumatra pair has put on a good amount of weight. Both of them have visible bellies, but will always look for more to eat, regardless how much I just fed.

In NY there is a hotel (Beverly Hotel) and it has a monster tank.

https://www.facebook.com/kimberlyhotel/videos/10153011577651391/

The tank was built by ATM and it was on TV. It's maintained by a local guy. He came in once a day at most to feed. There is a Regal in there that is extremely fat although most of the other fish are skinny. The tank is clean there is not much to eat from what I can tell. My point is angels are very efficient grazers. My rock beauty is also very fat even though the tank it was in had almost no algea. So it's a matter of getting over the initial hurdle of fattening them up.

There are quite a few cases where regal angels suddenly died after doing fine for years. So it seems there is some deficiency slowly creeping up and then rather quickly killing me fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Regal Angel Primer

Mine just died after two months. It was eating like a pig yesterday and this morning gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back