Regal Angel Primer

Larger one from ac. Thought he was going to make it. Was always eating. Maybe its a cyanide caught

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's what I'm always afraid of with fish from Indonesia and the Philippines.
I lost one of those as well a few weeks ago. It was eating well, but not gaining any weight. It died a bit after the two months mark.

My Sumatra pair is now over 150 days, close to half a year.

Alright, setting up a new 210 gallon tank.

I plan to start off with 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 Red and Black Sea Stars - and 2 Ocellaris Clownfish.

Then after a few weeks, I will add a 3.5+" Red Sea Regal Angel.

Would it be better to add 3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis before or after the Regal Angel?

Is this all brand new, or are you bringing in seasoned water and liverock? If all brand new I would wait a few months before adding a new expensive fish. New tank syndrome can cause issues.

Is this all brand new, or are you bringing in seasoned water and liverock? If all brand new I would wait a few months before adding a new expensive fish. New tank syndrome can cause issues.

All brand new...

And yes, I will be waiting awhile before starting to add the fish, etc.

I was just wondering if it would be more beneficial to add the 3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis before the Regal Angel to help "bring him out" into the aquarium - or after the Regal in case they might harass him...

BTW - here is my tentative stocking list.

Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
Blue/Green Reef Chromis/Black Axil Chromis (3)
Anthia lyre-tail (3)
Regal Angel - Red Sea - 3.5+"
White Tail Bristletooth Tang
Naso Tang
Flame Angel
Potters Angel
Dusky Wrasse - Male
Blood Red Fire Shrimp (2)
Red and Black Sea Star (Fromia) (2)

I don't think it makes a big difference if the chromis come before or after the regal, as long as you soak them well in formalin and QT them for at least 2 months. The last thing you want is to get Uronema into a tank.

I personally wouldn't put a Naso into anything below 1000 gallon as they get big and like to swim a lot.

I don't think it makes a big difference if the chromis come before or after the regal, as long as you soak them well in formalin and QT them for at least 2 months. The last thing you want is to get Uronema into a tank.

I personally wouldn't put a Naso into anything below 1000 gallon as they get big and like to swim a lot.

Yeah, the Naso is really the only one I have to worry about re-homing once he gets big enough.

An update on mine in my office tank, still eating like a pig. I am going to move my CBB in the next couple of weeks (eats too MUCH)

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sumatra pair feeding on pellets:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIJj9l7AEhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are well nourished, but that comes at a price: NO3 75mg/L, PO4 ~0.5mg/L.
I just started carbon dosing to see if I can get that under control that way. Should have started that earlier :debi:

Saw a few nice Philippine regals AC got in today. Unfortunately the larger were too close to 3in to pair them with my Philippine regal, and the small one they had was at best 1.5in - way too tiny for a pairing attempt. The nicest 3in one was already eating brine shrimp. (for those interested, they ship)
I guess I have to wait for the right sized Philippine regal to come around or pursue my initial plan to pair it with the small Sumatra (more likely Bali) regal I have in my crispa tank. I bought it as a yellow one but it seems rather to be a blue-gray.

Last edited:
What pellets? :D
A mix of these:

fdecf31c6939aa965d076f78a281402b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just got my Red Sea yellow belly Regal in and am in the process of formalin dipping right now. It has been in quarantine at a friends since it came in a few weeks ago. I dipped it and put it in my frag tank to get it eating better. Here is a quick video, it sucks, but it's a start. I noticed some long blue cheek spines. I believe that indicates it is a male, right?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mu3K-Tfn0VQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
What BRS video? It's just what the local stores have.

As for how I got them to eat it - I just set up an auto-feeder and let's it run. The other fish were eating it right away and the regals eventually copied them.

From my experience I would say that the notion of regal angels being finicky eaters and difficult to accept food in captivity is just not generally true.
If treated well during capture and transport they should eat right away, at least smaller individuals.
Also none of mine has shown any interest in the sponges I have in my tanks (it's the kind they are supposed to live of in the wild).
They go after certain algae and even cyanobacteria. I've even seen them picking bugs of corals. I had a sick bonsai that was crawling with some tan-grayish bugs and the larger one was actively hunting them.

I haven't seriously tried flake food yet, buy I'm sure they will pick up eating that as well if I would try

Last edited:
Where did you get it from? Here on the west coats Red Sea regals are hard to come by and when you find them they are usually quite big.

The cheek spine on that one is quite large, but still inside the range of a mature female. The spines of mature males are massive and almost look ridiculously oversized.

How large is this fish?

Back