Regal Angel Primer

Where did you get it from? Here on the west coats Red Sea regals are hard to come by and when you find them they are usually quite big.

The cheek spine on that one is quite large, but still inside the range of a mature female. The spines of mature males are massive and almost look ridiculously oversized.

How large is this fish?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I got her from my LFS in Kansas City, but I'm not sure where he got her from. I simply told him I wanted a Red Sea regal angel and he got a few of them in. She is roughly 4 inches long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a Red Sea Regal about five days ago. It's in an established QT (live rock) with subdued lighting by itself. It's about 5". It swims and picks at the rocks but I cannot get it to eat. I've tried the different versions of Hikari frozen food, nori red and green, NLS pellets, docs Eco super eggs, mussels on the half shell. I've soaked in angelixer, selcon and garlic extreme. Do I just continue to offer these foods or should I try something else? I've been offering twice a day. I also have not done any Prazi as yet. Should i start that now or keep waiting until it eats?

Try a clam on the shell.
Is this fish alone in that tank? I found it best to have some small, well eating fish with a new regal to show it what to eat. You may also try some red macro algae.

BTW, is it actively eating of the rocks or mostly just searching..
Some regals eat right out of the bag, other need some time to adjust and some never start eating on their own.
I think it all depends how they were collected and treated during holding and shipping.

The other thing I found is that juveniles and immature subadults usually cause the least eating problems. My theory is that juveniles are still opportunistic feeders that stuff themselves with whatever they can get. Subadults are equally not yet set in their ways and open to try new things.

It also helps to pick a fish that is eating at the store.

I have had redsea take up to 4 weeks before eating mini mysis, PE Mysis, Spiralina Brine Shrimp, and LRS Reef Frenzy. The one in my Avatar took 3 weeks.

I have only been able to find steamed neck clams. Will that work? It may be searching, but it definitely picks. It is the only fish in the qt. What do you recommend I put in with it? Also should I start Prazi now or wait until it eats?

I got a Red Sea Regal about five days ago. It's in an established QT (live rock) with subdued lighting by itself. It's about 5". It swims and picks at the rocks but I cannot get it to eat. I've tried the different versions of Hikari frozen food, nori red and green, NLS pellets, docs Eco super eggs, mussels on the half shell. I've soaked in angelixer, selcon and garlic extreme. Do I just continue to offer these foods or should I try something else? I've been offering twice a day. I also have not done any Prazi as yet. Should i start that now or keep waiting until it eats?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24471014&postcount=4193

I have only been able to find steamed neck clams. Will that work? It may be searching, but it definitely picks. It is the only fish in the qt. What do you recommend I put in with it? Also should I start Prazi now or wait until it eats?

You want fresh and raw

I have only been able to find steamed neck clams. Will that work? ...
Where do you live?
Usually the seafood departments of grocery stores have live clams.
Better fish stores should have frozen clams.

As for fish to add - any smaller fish that eats well, but is not too wild. Young percula or ocellaris clowns are a good choice since they are usually not too bold and not overly wild eaters.

Where do you live?
Usually the seafood departments of grocery stores have live clams.
Better fish stores should have frozen clams.

As for fish to add - any smaller fish that eats well, but is not too wild. Young percula or ocellaris clowns are a good choice since they are usually not too bold and not overly wild eaters.

I live in Trinidad. We don't have many fish stores. I'll keep searching seafood departments to see if I can find for sure!

If it's eating dry sea weed, try soaking it first in Mysis Shrimp or Blood Worm juice as they defrost. I found that to be an easy way to introduce new frozen foods to picky eaters. They will be familiar to the smell and taste already. Give it a try. Good luck

Unfortunately no. The only clams that we have known as " chip chip" are not in season right now. I can get oyster though from swamp areas. Would that be ok?

Hi all - Im 0 for 2 with Indo regals. I actually got them eating, but they had Ich so started performing TTM and both died during TTM. They just stopped eating.

So Im not doing TTM anymore for regals and will perform with hypo if anything comes up. (ive been successful with TTM with other fish)

Anyway, just bought a red sea regal today. And a couple of hours ago, I was offered another yellow belly regal for a real good price. They are both 4 inches.

Is it a bad idea to have two regals in the same tank? They will eventually go to a 225g.

I wouldn't do TTM with regals.
For me hyposalinity worked perfectly. I treated 3 individual around 3 inch and just finished treating a roughly 2 inch baby. No issues at all, as long as you keep the water quality in check.

As for pairing - 2 of equal size will likely not work out. Ideally they should have 10% to 20% difference in length.

The two I have together in a 100 gallon tank are 85 mm and 95 mm in length (TL):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wuRw2mB2oiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIJj9l7AEhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For me hyposalinity worked perfectly. I treated 3 individual around 3 inch and just finished treating a roughly 2 inch baby. No issues at all, as long as you keep the water quality in check.

As for pairing - 2 of equal size will likely not work out. Ideally they should have 10% to 20% difference in length.

The two I have together in a 100 gallon tank are 85 mm and 95 mm in length (TL):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wuRw2mB2oiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIJj9l7AEhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks as if you have done a wonderful job keeping these fishes. I hope to have the same success with mine.

Yep. Lessons learned. Wont do TTM with these guys again. I decided not to purchase the other one. They were basically the same size.

Awesome vids - Whats your secret for getting them to eat? Im not sure if i was just lucky with the first two since they started eating right away, but my current one has not started eating although Ive only had mine for 12 hours and were shipped from NY to San Diego.

I tried some hikari mysis and live blackworms tonight. Will try it again tomorrow along with half clams.

Back