Regal Angel Primer

Unfortunately, I found the tiny one dead on Wednesday morning. Since the bristeleworms had already started to eat the body there was no way to tell what killed him. He didn't look emaciated the last time I saw him and had no fin damage as an indicator of attacks, so disease can't be excluded as a cause, especially since I observed the clownfish scraping himself and I noticed that AC seems to have something going on in their fish system.
The good news is that the larger one is by now eating flakes and Mysis, both not very enthusiastically yet but enough to sustain him.

Finally got around to shoot a video of the baby regal. By now he is eating flakes pretty good - in fact better than mysis:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DoV0UvdJkhY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been lucky creating pairs from small juveniles but not this time. I ordered two from my LFS and placed them in my office tank where I can watch them and feed them 8 times a day. After three days the one was chasing the other way to much so I trapped the one and took her home to put it in my 100 gallon rubbermaid tub. The meany is in the second picture.

Attachments

• regal 2-17-20 trap.jpg
    regal 2-17-20 trap.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
  • regal 2-17-20 office tank.jpg
    regal 2-17-20 office tank.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 2
Alton,
My two, that I got from you is too close is size, same size. I wonder if we should swab, one of mine fro one of your smaller one?

Alton,
My two, that I got from you is too close is size, same size. I wonder if we should swab, one of mine fro one of your smaller one?

I can do that, lets give this one sometime to start eating well and gain some weight.

Alton, are those Maldives, Red Sea, or Sumatra regals?

BTW, a while ago I found a research paper about angelfish age which also covered sex and sex change. One thing noted there was not all individuals necessarily start out as females but that with some species you find a certain percentage of individuals who started life as males.
I kind of wonder if regal angel might belong to the species which may have primary males.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maldives Regals, juveniles come available in February, this year some came in December but where very skinny. I ended up losing 1 of 2. The one that lived ate like a horse and was fast to eat since she had to compete against wrasses. (Far right in post #6107) This little guy in picture #2 in post 6104 came in with fin damage, while the slightly smaller did not. So while he was at Quality Marine did he get in a fight with maybe some other males while the females don't fight? Maybe one day we can figure this all out?

LA has Maldives juveniles listed as in stock. Normally they sold out quickly but it seems with their new restrictions people are far more hesitant to order from them.

The price they are advertising maybe a hindrance also? I had my LFS order my two, much cheaper price.

The price they are advertising maybe a hindrance also? I had my LFS order my two, much cheaper price.
Yeah that as well. Unfortunately, I don't have an LFS here that orders from Quality Marine. Seems their policies and minimum order limits are somewhat off-putting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here's mine that came from NYAquatics. Doing very well. Eating aggressively now. Seems to like TDO pellets and clams the best. It's definitely not shy anymore. It's actually been a bit pushy towards the established copperband

https://youtu.be/9Cz0ILy4bDQ

Where is that one from, Philippines?

I miss my large Philippine Regal. I had him for nearly 5 years and he had great color. He also survived quite a few catastrophes. And then, one day, he stopped eating, got reclusive, and was dead a few days later... no idea what killed him, but no other fish had any issues.

I normally post good news on here but I think I need to post the negative also. Since 2012 I have had fairly great luck with Regal Angels both Red Sea and Maldives. Regals came from NYAquatics, Petco, My LFS, and Live Aquaria. I would say I had a 90% success rate. While I was trying to make pairs some on here, co-workers husbands, and a lfs enjoyed getting the ones that didn't work out. Now here comes the bad, I ordered two juveniles from LA late 2019, one ate well the other not so and perished fairly quickly. The one resides in my 310 with a larger one and eats very well. This month I ordered two from my LFS and after some delays they came in. Once again one is eating the other did not. I moved the one to my home isolation tank where it perished after three days and it never did eat. In the past I labeled Maldives Regals as bullet proof, I can't say that anymore. One thing I left out was I ordered from LA last year a medium sized adult and it never ate. So in the last year I went from 90% to 40%. I am bailing from the Regal Angel market, hopefully collection practices get better.

Alton is really good at getting Regal Angels to acclimated to captivity. I am one of the reefer that benefit from this. I am sorry that you not doing this anymore, but I am glad that I got my last pair from you. Thanks

I normally post good news on here but I think I need to post the negative also. Since 2012 I have had fairly great luck with Regal Angels both Red Sea and Maldives. Regals came from NYAquatics, Petco, My LFS, and Live Aquaria. I would say I had a 90% success rate. While I was trying to make pairs some on here, co-workers husbands, and a lfs enjoyed getting the ones that didn't work out. Now here comes the bad, I ordered two juveniles from LA late 2019, one ate well the other not so and perished fairly quickly. The one resides in my 310 with a larger one and eats very well. This month I ordered two from my LFS and after some delays they came in. Once again one is eating the other did not. I moved the one to my home isolation tank where it perished after three days and it never did eat. In the past I labeled Maldives Regals as bullet proof, I can't say that anymore. One thing I left out was I ordered from LA last year a medium sized adult and it never ate. So in the last year I went from 90% to 40%. I am bailing from the Regal Angel market, hopefully collection practices get better.

Sad to hear this!
Since I won't buy from LA anymore after they changed their warranty policies I have Jordan look for a baby Maldives Regal for me. From what he reports it seems the Maldives Regals that come in right now are in pretty poor shape.
I don't think Regal Angels are truly difficult, just not treated correctly in the supply chain.

Sad to hear this!
Since I won't buy from LA anymore after they changed their warranty policies I have Jordan look for a baby Maldives Regal for me. From what he reports it seems the Maldives Regals that come in right now are in pretty poor shape.
I don't think Regal Angels are truly difficult, just not treated correctly in the supply chain.

I agree 100%. Normally fish get treated poorly because of price decreases, the Maldives Regals have only gone up in price and down in quality.

Back