Regal Angel Primer

In my experience, the Maldives had always been a location from where superior livestock came because everything was hand collected and treated well. It seems like that has changed.
There is of course also the possibility that we are are seeing the effects of warming oceans, acidification, and more storms ...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pretty common for them to take a few days to get eating. Regals aren't a fish I do TTM on though. I prefer to just observe them in a tank with a lot of live rock to get them picking at the rocks. Seems to get them to settle in and start eating faster.

I too observe, then once eating well use CP

I too observe, then once eating well use CP
How, or more precisely where do you treat with CP? I would think that it would have to be a sterile tank to be sure that the CP is actually working and not being consumed or rendered ineffective by bacteria.
I'm also not sure if Amyloodinium is actually a big problem with Regals. Should they come infected with it I would expect them to die of it before starting to feed.
It might actually be better to use virgin black mollies as detectors in the observation tank before putting a new Regal through any treatment. And they could at the same time function as acclimatization buddies.

How, or more precisely where do you treat with CP? I would think that it would have to be a sterile tank to be sure that the CP is actually working and not being consumed or rendered ineffective by bacteria.
I'm also not sure if Amyloodinium is actually a big problem with Regals. Should they come infected with it I would expect them to die of it before starting to feed.
It might actually be better to use virgin black mollies as detectors in the observation tank before putting a new Regal through any treatment. And they could at the same time function as acclimatization buddies.

Every fish I get goes thru treatment for flukes and ich/velvet whether they show signs of it or not. I have a QT that is up and running most of the time and though there is bacteria in the tank if I retreat daily at 4mg/per gallon the bacteria in the tank doesn't seem to make a difference. In the past I had a ich outbreak in my DT and used this method of treatment with success too.

After losing many fish due to unknown issues everything goes into my office tank or an isolation tank at home. Nothing goes into my 310 display tank until months have gone by and I know there are no issues. My last issue was a Disease that only affected large angels. Tangs, wrasses, pygmy angels where not affected. The only large angel which survived, was the larger regal in the picture above which was a juvenile at the time. All my fish go from acclimation to freshwater dip, to a 3 hour or more prazi bath. As why the Maldives Regals are coming so poorly shipped you could also look at the Gem Tang which is a very hardy tang but recently have been shipped in poor condition at a discounted rate. The following is a picture of my latest regal that is eating very well (sorry about the hair algae)

Attachments

• Regal and 3 wrasses 2-26-20.jpg
    Regal and 3 wrasses 2-26-20.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
We generally look for only a small number of parasites and largely ignore bacterial and viral issues. A lot might actually slip through our quarantine efforts even if everything is done by the book. One should not forget that fish have been around much longer than mammals and us humans. We have a staggering array of illnesses which can afflict us. Some of our fish and their ancestors were around when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and even the younger species are generally all older than mankind in its entirety. So I would expect fish to have more illnesses that "specialized" on them. Equally there are good reason to assume that there are differences between the various fish families and that there are diseases which affect one but not the other. Fact is that we are just beginning to learn about the diversity of fish diseases and still have a long way to go. Unfortunately for us, the research in this field almost exclusively focuses on commercial farm fish species and the specific illnesses of angel fish or other reef fish families are of rather little interest.

Latest video of my latest baby Philippines Regal. He's been on flakes only for 2 weeks now and chucking them down like crazy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IWBNmQKHK_g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shot a video of my Maldives Regal today (but didn't bother to clean the glass before):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2h_7NnhSgnM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I put him into that tank he was about 100 mm in total length. Today I would estimate him to be at least 110 mm.

And this is the same fish when I got it nearly 4 years ago, about 55 mm at the time:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_tbxQ84WiV8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first year you could actually see the fish grow... and I only had it in a 40B that actually was the sump of my display system back then.

Got this Maldives Regal from Jordan today in the shipment with my Madagascar anemonefish.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-xbbfSsBkuY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jordan's guys picked her up yesterday and she came straight in the QM bag. She started eating tigger pods only minutes after I released her from the bag. She also gave flakes a try but wasn't hungry enough to eat them... I'm pretty confident she will take them in a couple of days if not already tomorrow.

She is roughly 3.5" and at the transition from juvenile to adult.
I actually wanted a smaller (2 to 2.5") juvenile Jordan had already for a week, but there was a mix-up and I ended up with this one which supposedly was smaller.

She has a few spots on her fins which may be infections, flukes, or something else... I start a round of PraziPro as soon as she has settled in and eats everything offered.

This might be one of the last Maldives Regals to come into the country for a good while...

I picked up a yellow belly one too. Lets see if he'll start eating

4479f1b10b8dc27fa95815f6c919635c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ordered one more, not sure I will get it today from my LFS? A friend and co-workers husband talked me out of my last one (which is below).

Attachments

• tonys regal.jpg
    tonys regal.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
I ordered one more, not sure I will get it today from my LFS? A friend and co-workers husband talked me out of my last one (which is below).
Why would you want to sell such a perfect baby regal?
BTW, that's the kind of regal I was hoping for...

Well just got the bad news, the LFS told me when QM did not answer their phones they went with another vendor!

Well just got the bad news, the LFS told me when QM did not answer their phones they went with another vendor!
Jordan told me that it was the last day QM would be open to commercial customers coming in to select in person when they went there on Wednesday. They might still ship out existing stock for orders placed online or via LiveAquaria but I doubt for long as it isn't very likely that they will get a lot if any new shipments from overseas anytime soon. I would also think that they are working with minimal staff right now, so answering phones is probably very low on their priority list. Also, according to Jordan, the regal I got was the last good one they had. The other one in stock wasn't in good condition.

Relaxing this evening I went back and watched your video and noticed the mis-mark in the facial area which is unique since most are midway to rear of fish. You said there was only one medium left. Did he say anything about the small juveniles and quality?

Jordan's guys bought this one actually as a small juvenile. Though it's actually about half an inch larger than the Red Sea regal I lost in the power outage in January. That one was precisely 3 inches.
I doubt they had actually more than what Jordan told me.

BTW, I actually don't care much about the aberrant markings. I would exchange it in a heartbeat for a smaller specimen with regular markings.

Back