Regal Angel Primer

Ok. Ill go to the market and get mussels, squid, and oysters again. Yes i figured it was so added him to the 20g.

I had live rock with actual sponges in the 10g (forgot to mention that in my initial post). He didnt touch that either. The 20g only has pvc pipes.

What happened?

Is he eating?

Can anyone post a picture of a male and female regal angel? The term short and long is relative and I don't know what is consider long or short. The pictures posted in the very early of the thread has been removed. I'm looking to get a pair of angelfish and want to do the best to pick the correct gender.

Okay, I started to look at picture of pairs regal angelfish and especially from the wild.
Is this consider a good female vs. male?
1937275-554929-regal-angelfish-in-the-red-sea-egypt.jpg

What happened?

Is he eating?

Good news, bad news. He was finally picking on oyster (or mussel). I dropped both and it was tough to see since i was watching from far away.

Unfortunately, today he hasnt looked good at all. He's normally swimming all the time but today, he's constantly in one corner of the aquarium.

Im gonna drop mussels and squid later tonight.

Okay, I started to look at picture of pairs regal angelfish and especially from the wild.
Is this consider a good female vs. male?
1937275-554929-regal-angelfish-in-the-red-sea-egypt.jpg
Males have massive Gill thorns and a more elongated body shape. Though this works only for specimen above 5in

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good news, bad news. He was finally picking on oyster (or mussel). I dropped both and it was tough to see since i was watching from far away.

Unfortunately, today he hasnt looked good at all. He's normally swimming all the time but today, he's constantly in one corner of the aquarium.

Im gonna drop mussels and squid later tonight.

Hmm... gotta get him to eat...

Have you put any vitamins into the water - such as VitaChem or anything to help keep up his health?

I have my 2" from LA and it's doing very well and FAT like how a angel should be. How much should I expect it to grow in year one? Also it has a broken bar on both sides towards the tail. Is it going to be a misbar?

A lot of the misbaring on young regal angels may go away as they mature.
One of my Philippine regals had a upside-down "Y" bar on each side, but by now one of the arms of the "Y" starts "dissolving" - and this is happening on both sides.

I have my 2" from LA and it's doing very well and FAT like how a angel should be. How much should I expect it to grow in year one?

IME, regals are slow growers. Ours has grown ~1" in nearly 2 years (compared to our moorish idol who doubled in size in about 9 months).

Hmm... gotta get him to eat...

Have you put any vitamins into the water - such as VitaChem or anything to help keep up his health?

Yep - I also soak food with either selcon, zoecon, and vitachem. When I feed, they're normally added.

Anyway, bad news. He passed last night. He was swimming erratically the last day or so. Quite bummed. Thanks for the help anyway.

IME, regals are slow growers. Ours has grown ~1" in nearly 2 years (compared to our moorish idol who doubled in size in about 9 months).

That's usually the case. We don't hear about many 6"+ regal's in captivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back