removal of Bio Balls

miesenjr

hoping that removing the Bio Balls from my wet dry filter was the right move, had the majority situated below the water line,(I think they behave like live rock like that) and some were above the water line being dripped upon by the water flow. i am in the process of turning my tank from a FOWLR to a reef tank. wanted to help get my Nitrates down. I do have 120 + pounds of live rock in the tank itself.

bio balls are notorious for trapping junk and causing high nitrates so yes, removing them is a good idea.

how big is your tank?

You might consider replacing the bio-balls with some more live rock, allowing both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to grow, giving you a more complete nitrogen cycle.

I have been using first bio bale and then bio balls since 1991. My nitrates are normally 2 with a max of 5. I keep filter fluff on top in the drip tray. Add a fuge to your system and you will be fine along with water changes.

my tank is 180 gal. I do have a fuge with about 20 Mangroves, I can add more rock to this now empty chamber.

Just don't let that extra rock turn in to a detritus trap or you'll end up in a similar situation to where you are now.

I have rock in my sump and shake it out on a weekly basis, then suck the crud off the floor with a small powerhead and pump it in to my sock.

Skimmer is new, works great, rated for 160 gal, biggest that will fit my sump, its a Aqua Euro needle wheel

Just don't let that extra rock turn in to a detritus trap or you'll end up in a similar situation to where you are now.

this ^!

my 29g biocube came with bio balls. i didn't use them, just filled the compartment with some filter floss and changed it every couple of days or so.

I had a 29 bio cube as well, and did not use the bio balls, I used the CPR nano skimmer in that compartment. unfortunately after 5 years I got a call from my wife that the tank cracked and lost everything. it just split down the bend in the glass

hoping that removing the Bio Balls from my wet dry filter was the right move, had the majority situated below the water line,(I think they behave like live rock like that) and some were above the water line being dripped upon by the water flow. i am in the process of turning my tank from a FOWLR to a reef tank. wanted to help get my Nitrates down. I do have 120 + pounds of live rock in the tank itself.

Nitrate control is always an issue. Although bioballs are the favorite to blame, they are not always responsible. I have bioballs in my FOWLER and giant Biowheels in my reef tank, and my ntrates are 0 in both tanks with no algae issues for several years. Regardless, you have taken the bioballs out, so now the question is how to control your nitrates.

120 lbs live rock in a 180 gal sounds adequate, especially if they are the porous type. Make sure your rockscape is such that water flows around and within the rockscape to maximize filtration, avoid detritus.

You'll need adequate total flow. Depending on what coral you like to keep, your total flow should be from 20X to 50X your tank volume. As an example, my 150 SPS dominant mixed reef has a total of 7,500GPH or 50X. I would suggest 30X or a total of 5,400GPH for you as a start through a combination of powerheads and return pump, and make sure it is either random or chaotic. What is your current total flow?

You'll need a bigger skimmer, one that is rated for at least 300 gallons. The one you have is definitely too small. If your sump is too small, consider a HOB skimmer, an external skimmer, or a bigger sump.

Water changes have been the time honored way to control water parameters. Do it more frequently if the parameters are off, less often if things are stable and doing well. How often do you do water changes?

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the guidance, my total flow is about 8100gph between waterblaster 5000 and two wp 40 power heads on random.
My skimmer is defiantly small, so unless I make a new sump I'm stuck. I actually could get a second of the same size though, now it can fit where my Bio Balls lived. That would work?
I had only changed water one a month with the fish only, just a matter of practice to go weekly. I usually did a50 gallon change each time.

Back