Renton's Upgrade

I received my lids from Clearview Lids late last week. I love them. Don't mind the cyano farm I am running on the sand at the moment :)

6c7eApKh.jpg

bWCTZOSh.jpg

G33gzAah.jpg

i2Il2Oxh.jpg

we7GCYDh.jpg

2oPx3Xwh.jpg

looking good

Thanks. Pretty happy with just about everything other then the cyano. I have really low nitrates, pretty much undetectable. Feeding more, removing the filter socks and turning the skimmer way down to help bring nutrients up a bit.

I'm sure its somewhere in the 58 pages, but where did you end up on flow? It looks like you are using your return and/or a closed loop but I see at least 3 powerheads (a MP40 and 2 Tunzes?).

I have 2 closed loops each powered by a Vectra L2 set to reef crest mode. I also have two Rosemont 4100 set to random flow pattern. They are on the back. On the far right I have a MP60 set to reef crest mode. That combo really moves a lot of water with lots of variation in flow pattern.

Thanks. That's 3100x2 + 4100x2 + 7500 = 21900gph / 450 gallons = 48.7 times per hour, at least at full power if the manufacture's specs's are accurate.

Consensus seems to be 40-100 times per hour if you want Acropora, so you are in that range, but I thought you'd higher since your Acro's are doing so well. I was also curious if this scales - 21900gph in a 450 seems like a lot more flow than 2190gph in a 45 gallon tank. Lots of people with smaller tanks, very few nice tanks this size.

Quick update

I had a good amount of cyano growing on the sand and starting to cover the rocks. My nitrates were just about undetectable and I wanted them higher. I tried feeding even more but that did not do much. I ran a treatment of chemiclean and that did the trick, eliminated the cyano and raised nitrates a bit which several corals appreciated.

I had an ich outbreak between my powder blue, powder brown, Achilles and blue hippo tang. I have had ich in the system for a long time but I think having several ich magnet fish was creating something of an ich farm. Some friends and I were able to capture the powder blue and get him into qt at Tidal gardens. I now have a fish trap and may try and get the powder brown out as well. Since the removal of the powder blue the Achilles is looking better.

Most of the corals are looking good and colorful

giUaS1Oh.jpg

POnAQpFh.jpg

ydGABe0h.jpg

Quick update video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yW2hK6j7dCQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This tank doesn't clean itself! Sometimes it takes a pretty face (me) to keep a pretty tank! Photo credit to the daughter

PNZzdC7h.jpg

Oldman Leopard Wrasse 7/1/2011 to 5/14/2021 RIP

O0Uj82uh.png

Oldman wrasse was one of my oldest fish and has been in all stages of my systems over the years, started in my 93 gallon cube, moved to the 200 gallon tank when I upgraded and made the last move to the new tank.

Over the past year or two he was really starting to show his age. He finally tuckered out. Fun fact about Oldman Wrasse, when I got him he was a small female :)

Some recent quick video clips of the system:

Frag Tank After Feeding:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g5ZA41FZ1Ig" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9 Feet of Reef:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rx-b5OjeRhQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Breakfast Time:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WqLCbzlK8B4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back