Rescue Corals

I wish I had an earlier shot of this one when I bought it for $5. It had only a small amount of tissue left that had receded back into the center of the skeleton. I must have taken the first picture after the coral was in my tank for at least a month.

pic016-1.jpg

Picture357.jpg

I actually re-sold this favia two years ago but when I bought it there was only 7 polyps left... sorry I lost that old picture. But here is one of it under actinics. I still have a small frag of it that I kept.

101.jpg

This is my project coral right now. When I bought it it was a decent size colony with half of the tissue gone and replaced by rampantly growing hair algae which was smothering it. I cut off all of the dead areas which left me with several small frags. This is one of them.

Picture697.jpg

Thanks! Anyone know what type of coral the last picture I posted is? The LFS thought some type of Scolymia, but I don't konw. It looks like it, but not a color pattern I'm familiar with (granted, it's about dead, but still).

It looks to be a Scolymia Vitiensis... They are usually reddish brown or purple but you can get oranges and greens. I got these two little beauties for $30ea (not rescues though). And the weird color pattern on the green one is actually there, not just the picture.

DSC00921-1.jpg

DSC00920-2.jpg

Whatcaneyedo - That's great!!! Very very nice rescues!! Do you have any tips? Any other advice?

I don't have anything new to add that hasn't been said already. The guide above is excellent. All of the coral that I've rescued have come from the same tank in the same store. Their system simply has many things wrong with it and is unable to sustain most types of coral for very long. When I see something in poor shape that has potential I occasionally buy it and put it into my healthy system. Unfortunately a lot gets left behind and slowly dies... I don't like encouraging them by buying coral there but some specimens I just cant leave to waste away.

Well, that scoly is really going fast (no surprise really). Anyone ever tried a Furan 2 dip on them? I think I might try that and some Vitamin C. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Great job on those rescues, I am cautiously optimistic I may have saved an elegance from the dreaded elegance coral syndrome, it was given to me as it was retracted and all puffy and pale with very short stubby tentacles, I placed it in my quarantine and did 75% water changes 3 times a day for a week, it did nothing for the first three days but it is now (2 weeks later) looking almost normal, the swelling has gone down and it is starting to have normal appearance,even got it's glow back under the actinics, I will try and get pics up to show progression as soon as my new computor shows up.

I wish I could say every coral in my tank was a rescue - either the corals are dead by the time they get here or they're fine (we only get a few sorry-off corals). Your rescue looks like a pretty safe rescue...I'd get rid of that polyclad worm though. :)

Sad to say, but my latest Scoly rescue passed away today. I knew it wouldn't last, but I had to try. Ugh, I don't think I've ever smelled anything so bad...except maybe dying Xenia.

I have off and on...nothing too crazy. I've tried just about every "new awesome" thing for reefkeeping over the past 4 years, and some of it helps with certain things...some of it is just a joke. Unless I know there's an issue, I just do regular water changes and dose mag/alk/ca. Vitamin C dosing does seem to help corals that are getting pretty bad, but usually by the time I notice a problem, it's a bit late to start dosing (especially since Vitamin C needs to be ramped up). I also use amino acids...it helps getting rescue corals to open up and feed.

I find that in my rescue tank the corals respond well to vitamin C during rehab period. I did however notice that a few zoas that was on the base of a torch coral really seem to like the High C dosage. but I have never dosed my main tank with Vitamin C since I am not sure how is everything else going to respond to the dosing?

I agree - rescue corals respond better, and zoanthids definitely respond well to it. I've tried dosing my display tank (mostly SPS, some LPS, no softies), but I didn't notice a difference. I haven't tried vodka dosing, since...well...vodka belongs in my belly, not my tank. :)

I use the Zeovit amino acids (only Zeovit product I use). I use it an hour before the lights shut off, and once the lights go out, I feed. The food I use is the "pappone" minus the HGH for the Blu Coral Method. Back when I had more fish, I followed the full procedure (minus the HGH), and I had amazing coloration and growth (more of the deep rich colors vs the light pastel colors of some of the vodka dosing, etc). Anyway, don't want to open the can of worms about which is better...I avoid all that. I just use the amino acids since it really helps open up the polyps and seems to encourage corals to feed.

Anyway, I hope no one takes this as a "what is better than whatever else" spin-off. I only know what has worked for me...and I'm definitely not a biologist. :)

yeah... I wish more people would educate themselves about this hobby so there is less loss of nature as a result of some "ignorance" just to have a pretty tank...... I hear and see it to often....

My rescue :)

My rescue :)

This is one of my rescue corals that was given to me from my LFS that about gave up on and said for me to try it in my tank. Sorry for the not so great pics...they were taken from my phone.

Original Rescue - 'Red/Green Favia' - March 2010 (brink of death - only a couple partial eyes alive on a broken up piece of skeleton)
faviaold.jpg

Rescue Now - 'Red/Green Favia' - October 2010 (Doing well and grown to about 20+ eyes)
favianew.jpg

And this one was given to me as a 'freebee' at a recent local frag swap. I will post back in a few months to see how it does. (Some kind of Favia? [I think:hmm4:] mounted on the round disk that is sitting on the rectangular marble).
100_1603.jpg

I too get a rewarding feeling when I can nurse a sure gonner back to health..:spin3:

Bubble coral freebie from the LFS. Sorry for the not great pics.

Then
bubbleori.jpg

And now
BubbleNo.jpg

When I first got it there were no bubbles. Good feedings and light and it is making its way back.

Back