Rescue Corals

JC- beautiful favia!!! Your new freebie looks like it'll be a real winner!

Rumple - I absolutely love bubble corals...especially feeding them. Great save!

Keep 'em coming! Let's give hope to those corals that normally get thrown away and decrease the demand on the ocean!!

picked up a few scratch n dents today, would have certainly died if in the lfs another 2 weeks.

The lobo did have 3 heads but I chopped off the third, dead head.
DSC01045.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

ReefinMike - that lobo is going to be a real showstopper! Looks like it'll recover pretty quickly too. Your other finds are great.

Keep 'em coming!!

Cool thread, the regenerating ability of corals are truely amazing with the right conditions. All they need is a little TLC.
Love the before and after shots. I wish I had the foresight to do that.

I try to take photos of all my corals each month (it's a daunting task really!) This allows me to notice problems in growth, color, etc when I can compare so easily. With "tagging" abilities in a lot of photo software, it's easy to organize too. Type in "blah blah acan"...and they all show up. Plus, every now and then you'll get that *perfect* shot.

I'll try to get a new photo of that new acan I got. After less than a week, it's already looking amazing!

ReefinMike - that lobo is going to be a real showstopper! Looks like it'll recover pretty quickly too. Your other finds are great.

Keep 'em coming!!

Thanks, Im hoping for full recovery of all. I got each of those pieces for $20. A lfs near me is a good source of scratch n dent corals :/

JC- beautiful favia!!! Your new freebie looks like it'll be a real winner!
Rumple - I absolutely love bubble corals...especially feeding them. Great save!

Keep 'em coming! Let's give hope to those corals that normally get thrown away and decrease the demand on the ocean!!

Thanks! I was very suprised that the green/red favia came back like that. Yeah, I too am excited to see what the 'freebee' turns into....so far there are nice shades of oranges (centers) that rainbows to shades of greens (edges). It will be interesting to see what color morphs come out moving forward.

I had 2 little 1/2 dead branches of a hammer given to me from the bottom of a LFS live rock tank.

here 3 years later, it's now about 35-40 heads, bright nuclear green, and growing in 2 seperate colonies! gotta love it!

pix L8r

I've been inspired to try some more. I picked up a very light pink open brain from petco a little while ago. The tissue is all in good shape so it shouldn't be too hard to recover. Today a picked up a maze brain about 4 inches from petco for $20 instead of $54.99. It still has some nice green around the edges but looks totally gone in the middle. I'll get some pics of it up tommorrow after I get it in the tank and get time to take pics.

They had this piece on the bottom of the tank with a chunk of liverock sitting on top of it. I had to give it a shot.

IMG_0305.jpg

ritter - nice rescue! I've found if you can remove some of that dead skeleton from the middle (just smooth it down a bit) the corals will regrow over it faster. But, you might not want to risk it this soon...no point in stressing it more. Good luck on it! Are you planning to feed it?

Mine wasn't so much a rescue as a prayer. I got this bubble coral through mail order and I thought it was DOA. I put it in the tank anyway and it became one of my favorite pieces. By the time I had moved, it was 3 times the size in this picture.

Before:
NewTankShots020.jpg

After:
P3070229.jpg

ritter - nice rescue! I've found if you can remove some of that dead skeleton from the middle (just smooth it down a bit) the corals will regrow over it faster. But, you might not want to risk it this soon...no point in stressing it more. Good luck on it! Are you planning to feed it?

That's a good idea. I'll give it a little time to see what will come back on it's own or not and give your suggestion a try. I'm going to be feeding it once it adjusts to the tank and starts to show some signs of life. I feed all my lps at least once a week so I'll feed it will all the others soon. The other corals I posted in the earlier link are making great recoveries. Hopefully I'll have some full recovery shots of those soon.

Don't have the best of pics, but..

In this first photo is a practically dead bubble coral. (bottom right)
39693992.jpg

Here it is healed up.
77038646.jpg

and if you kinda look to the right corner of the tank in the reflection.. it got to be at least 1' across before I sold that system

99898721.jpg

Mine wasn't so much a rescue as a prayer. I got this bubble coral through mail order and I thought it was DOA. I put it in the tank anyway and it became one of my favorite pieces. By the time I had moved, it was 3 times the size in this picture.

That's impressive! Good work

Back