Revive this club

downdeep

Reefer
Anyone interested in reviving this club? There are a lot of reefers in the Sarasota County area, we shouldn't have to go to Tampa, Orlando or Ft, Myers to be part of a good club. Not to say that those clubs are bad, it would just be nice to meet, swap, trade and see peoples tanks that are local.

Anyone in?

I'm interested as well; located in Sarasota. Been lurking on the group for a while, be nice to see it active like the old days (especially since I've succumbed to the reefkeeping disease again after a hiatus.) Would posting something in the TBRC forum be allowed? Might be people there that aren't aware of the ACROS group.

Hah, always the story of Sarasota: trapped between Tampa and Fort Myers.

This thread has 70+ views; can some folks who haven't posted to it check in so we can get some idea of how many folks are around? Figure if it's just a few people we could get together at someone's house or meet at a restaurant to talk about our tanks and such.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

There are a ton of people from Sarasota county. Some on reef central, some on *********. If we could just pool them all together, it would be a fantastic group!

There has been a lot of talk about this over the past couple of years, but no one has stepped up to "force the issue". When we started SWFMAS, it was the same way. A forum on RC, talk on and off for a couple years and then a group of us just met at a house and said "OK, we are now going to be a real club". A couple thoughts/mistakes from our first year.

1. Our very first "official" meeting as a club was our first Reef Conference (we called it an Open House at the time). A group of us worked behind the scenes for a couple months to make this happen. We were out a couple grand of our own money before we even started. (I don't recommend this approach, but it did work for us. Marco and I were really sweating the morning of the conference hoping we would make enough to reimburse our expenses!)

2. Schedule a meeting every month. Make it happen. Even it is only a meet at someones house to look at their tank.

3. Try to be consistent on your meetings. Our first year, some meetings were the first weekend, some the third weekend, we had one on a Thursday. Some Saturdays, some Sundays. It was a wreck from a planning perspective (both for the meeting planners and the attendees).

4. Expect low turnout at some meetings (Our Thursday meeting had 2 people, including myself). Don't get discouraged, keep moving forward.

5. Our average turnout for the first year (excluding the conference) was 6-8 people. But, we never gave up. After the Thursday meeting, we realized consistency and communications were big problems for us. We decided the third weekend of the month was our weekend. With the exception of large events, we have stuck to this ever since. For the second year, our average turnout doubled. People got used to the idea of a club meeting the third Saturday of the month and attendance started to improve.

6. Communication - this will take some time. It took us about 4-5 years before we really started to get "word of mouth" membership. Meaning, "I heard about the club from John and decided to come check you out".

7. Reach out to your local stores to see if you can put meeting posters and flyers in the stores. Try to support your local stores by holding a meeting at the stores. This is difficult and not all stores will agree. But, in the long run, it can be beneficial to the club and to the store. The club benefits by gaining new membership and marketing. The store benefits by marketing possible new customers.

8. This is probably the most important point I want to make. Believe it or not, a club is a business. To be successful, you have to have a business plan. Points 1-7 are basically the SWFMAS business plan. It doesn't have to be complicated. A simple plan will be the easiest to execute and manage. But, there has to be a plan that the members can see (ie we just wrapped up our April meeting, what's up for May?). ACROS is the "business", the members are your "clients" and the club meetings are the "product". A good product means more clients. More clients means a more successful business.

9. A request - Many of our members live in an area that ACROS would cover. Ditto with TBRC. If you pick a weekend each month to have a meeting. Try to pick a month that does not conflict with other clubs within driving distance of your meeting. It will help with turnout.

10. Many of the clubs in Florida try to work together or keep each other in the loop on issues (FWC at frag swaps, NOAA 66 hearings, etc). If you get a formal club going, let me know and I will add you to the club contact list and share it with your BOD. We also try to share resources (RC Announcements, speaker contacts, vendor contacts, etc.). It's very informal and basically just "buddy" type relationship. Not all clubs actively communicate with each other, but the option is there.

Obviously, as the years moved forward, things have changed in our club and each year we make improvements (or at least try to!)

Good luck. If you need help, holler out to your neighbors down south!

Would posting something in the TBRC forum be allowed?

Announcements for your club events on other club forums must be made by an Officer of that club (eg a TBRC Officer would need to post an ACROS announcement on TBRC's forum).

This is part of the reason for the club contact list I mentioned above. If you want to post something on the SWFMAS RC forum, I can do that for you.

Thanks for all the good info Jeff! Yeah, definitely want to avoid conflicting with SWFMAS (3rd Sat) or TBRC (2nd Sat-ish.) Was thinking either the last or 4th Saturday would work barring holidays and whatnot. Holding off until we get more input from people who might be interested may be a good idea though.

Figured about posting to other forums; have to be considerate of other groups. Sent a PM to an officer of TBRC the other day about potentially putting a note up in that forum. If you could post something on the SWFMAS forum that would be nice. Want someone to come up with some verbiage or do you just want to put up a quick "check this post on the ACROS RC forum" notice?

Anyone else have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or input?

I was one of the founding members of the TBRC with Brian Greene which we started back around 2003. It was difficult, in the beginning, there was three of us that would meet at Cha Cha Coconuts on the St. Pete Pier. It's grown considerably since then, but it took a long time to get it where it is.

I've been out of the hobby for about the last 8 years, but my kids have helped kick start this addiction once again. So I'm looking forward to getting involved to help grow reef keeping in Sarasota county. I'm more than willing to help in any capacity to get this going again.

So do you guys want to get together in downtown Sarasota or maybe out by 75 on Fruitville sometime? Seems like that's a relatively equal distance between Palmetto and Venice. Just an initial "meet n' greet" lunch to talk about our current tanks, discuss future club plans, etc. Would a Saturday be best? May 31st would probably work as Memorial Day is the weekend before. That would also give me time to clean up my tank and take a picture, haha!

Okay, let's shoot for the 17th; hopefully killersnake can make it that day. Thinking either Don Pablos or Applebees on Fruitville by I75 around lunchtime. Any other ideas or preferences?

I reside in Sarasota and would be interested in a local club. At least for me, the other club's activities seem to be a tad too far for me.

Back