ricordia question (positioning)

I got a very small frag of my first ricordia today and it seems to be doing well so far. Its attached to a REALLY small piece of rock, I think. My question is, can I put gel glue on the rock and then glue it to a piece of my LR in my tank where I want it?

I use the mix-together aquarium epoxy putty when attaching a rock or ceramic plug. I don't think you want to have the wet glue in your tank. If you could glue the rock to your piece of LR outside of your tank and wait a minute for it to dry, then put the LR back in your tank I'm sure that would be fine. A huge pain in the butt though. I vote for the epoxy. I use Aquastik.

edit: I missed the part where you said it was a REALLY small piece of rock, which makes the putty kind of a pain too. After doing a little research it looks like a lot of people using superglue directly in the tank like you're asking about. I'm always nervous about putting chemicals in my tank like that since I have a nano, so here's my suggestion:

Find a larger piece of rubble rock to super glue your tiny piece of rock to, wait a minute or so, then use the Aquastik to putty that larger piece to your LR. That way the super glue is totally cured before it goes into your tank.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821248#post14821248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SuperOstrich
I use the mix-together aquarium epoxy putty when attaching a rock or ceramic plug. I don't think you want to have the wet glue in your tank. If you could glue the rock to your piece of LR outside of your tank and wait a minute for it to dry, then put the LR back in your tank I'm sure that would be fine. A huge pain in the butt though. I vote for the epoxy. I use Aquastik.

edit: I missed the part where you said it was a REALLY small piece of rock, which makes the putty kind of a pain too. After doing a little research it looks like a lot of people using superglue directly in the tank like you're asking about. I'm always nervous about putting chemicals in my tank like that since I have a nano, so here's my suggestion:

Find a larger piece of rubble rock to super glue your tiny piece of rock to, wait a minute or so, then use the Aquastik to putty that larger piece to your LR. That way the super glue is totally cured before it goes into your tank.

Sounds good. Maybe I'll shave down one of the pieces of rubble I've got. I read that some people just put gel glue on the piece and then place them into the tank, but I'll play it safe since this is my 1st time.

Last edited:
The truth of the matter is the epoxy is more noxious than the super glue. Many a skimmer has overflowed after the use of epoxies- there is a lot of stuff released into the water during curing. Superglue on the other hand is cured in a minute in saltwater. I have used it for 20 years in my reefs as have most of my clients and customers with no ill effects. The only time putty is pref is with some sps corals that are irritated by superglue. I just glued up a dozen ric frags last week in my tank and all are well and in place.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14829820#post14829820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by macclellan
Yea, use superglue gel. Put it on the rubble, grab the ric and then put in place, twisting usually helps.

I ordered some gel along with my 160lb bucket of salt ;). Its just so tiny haha!

Yup super glue gel is the best no adverse effect to other corals.....Just be careful not to glue your fingers unless you have some nail polish remover.....That was my fist mistake when gluing using to much and not paying attention had to of my fingers glues together.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14831139#post14831139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xxwake4lifexx
I ordered some gel along with my 160lb bucket of salt ;). Its just so tiny haha!

No need to order it. You can find it at home depot, arts & crafts stores or even dollar tree. $1 will get you three small tubes, which I like better, because the spout on the large bottle will frequently become clogged with glue before the bottle is empty since I use only one or two drops each time.

So you guys put the super glue on the rock frag out of the tank, and then just put the frag with the wet glue on it directly in the tank? How long after applying the super glue do you wait before putting it in the tank?

I have a bunch of new frags of zoas that are already on small rocks and I want to glue them to the rockwork soon.

Immediately...it dries in just a few seconds. Place glue on frag/rubble, put in tank, push and twist onto rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14868717#post14868717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skeptic_07
$1 will get you three small tubes, which I like better, because the spout on the large bottle will frequently become clogged with glue before the bottle is empty since I use only one or two drops each time.

No fair! Best I can find is 2/$1.

Tip: when you're done, let the last bit dry on the tip. This seals it and prevents clogging. Next time, just break off this dried piece and fresh unclogged glue is behind it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going superglue from now on. Have you guys ever used it for gluing your rockwork together? I'm thinking I can put glue on both sides of a small piece of rubble and use it to attach my one loose piece of live rock in my tank to my secured piece it's resting on. Good or bad idea?

I'm actually having a heck of a time getting the rocks to stay together with Aquastik epoxy, which is why I asked about the glue. I just bought a different brand of epoxy the other day to see if I have better luck. I will say this: the new epoxy brand feels much "stickier" even before mixing it together. Hopefully it works.

Thanks again for the info on gluing guys, I already gave it a go with some zoas and it worked out great!

One trick is to make a sandwich out of superglue and epoxy in this order: frag > superglue > epoxy > superglue > reef

This works better for pieces that are a bit too large to use superglue alone.

There was a nice thread about this a while back with pics and everything. I'm going to try to dig it up for you.

edit: Sorry, i looked but cannot find.

Last edited:
Back