Rob's ten ton tank

This is a great build, still reading your other thread! May I ask what you referenced when doing the research for this project? I am interested in learning how to design and build structures like this (whether I ever have the means to use it or not)

The scale of this project is fantastic.

Are you concerned that without having live rock in the display, you may be lacking in biological filtration? What magic is occurring in that greenhouse to solve this problem? :)

Not to mention how fast is your electricity meter spinning?

Not spinning too badly. The pumps all together for tank and greenhouse are under 1kW. The heating in winter is a bit nastier. Currently it's around 3.5kW but I'm still not keeping the temperature up. I'll hopefully install a heat pump for next season.

At least I have no power consumption for lighting :)

what made you choose glass over acrylic?

I initially chose acrylic, but yeah, the guy ripped me off. I'm very happy with glass now.

between you and Sean I'm sold on the concrete tank as a basis

For this kind of size, yes. For any smaller or shorter, plywood and framing would be a good option. It helped to do this at the same time as the build.

May I ask what you referenced when doing the research for this project?

I did a lot of general reading. For the final design the structural engineer working on the house helped with the practicalities of the concrete and reinforcing. My only regrets are that I should have used marine concrete and I should have put one or more fiberglass membranes in the epoxy. It seems watertight now, but I'll always have this nagging doubt....

Are you concerned that without having live rock in the display, you may be lacking in biological filtration? What magic is occurring in that greenhouse to solve this problem?

I have some live rock in the greenhouse. I'm planning a DSB in the main tank and in the greenhouse. The bioload is low. As it grows, I'll grow the passive filter surface area. The fiberglass backing is hollow. It'll hopefully act as a cryptic refugium and scaffolding for filtering organisms.

Very cool. Great job with that tank

Thank you :)

I suppose it is best to go to a structural engineer on such things! I finally finished the build thread, no on to the greenhouse thread!

Can you post the link to the other thread or did I miss it?

Looks incredible so far! I thought for sure you would have sharks in a tank that size however any tank that you have to suba dive into place corals is absolutely wicked!

Nice job!
Rob

Back