RODI fast flush: how important?

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Hey all,

I have a typhoon III RODI from air water ice. It has a fast flush feature, but I forget about it and accidentally leave it on all the time. For the second time in 5 weeks, I left for a whole week and left it running. I just replaced all the filters two months ago but I assume they're all shot now as they've probably seen thousands of gallons at this point.

How often should I be flushing the unit? Is it worth the hassle or can I just forget about it?

bigtex52

Old Salt
Premium Member
Melev sells the things and he says that it is basically something invented by the marketers to sell filters.

Reef Bass

colors and textures
The manufacturer of my RO/DI unit recommends flushing the membrane for 20-30 seconds after "making" water. I do this about every half hour - hour of filter use. The theory is that rinsing the exterior of the membrane will prolong its usable life.

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Membranes are only 40 bucks anyway, and I just wasted 20 on a new pack of filters after leaving it on 2 weeks. I'm gonna quit flushing it and just replace the membrane every 2 years instead of every 3.

Reef Bass

colors and textures
Sounds financially prudent. That's quite a good lifespan you're getting out of your membrane currently anyway. I have a lot of evaporation with my 400w lights, open top and open sump, so I'm frequently making water and membranes don't last as long for me.