RODI fast flush: how important?

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Hey all,

I have a typhoon III RODI from air water ice. It has a fast flush feature, but I forget about it and accidentally leave it on all the time. For the second time in 5 weeks, I left for a whole week and left it running. I just replaced all the filters two months ago but I assume they're all shot now as they've probably seen thousands of gallons at this point.

How often should I be flushing the unit? Is it worth the hassle or can I just forget about it?

Melev sells the things and he says that it is basically something invented by the marketers to sell filters.

The manufacturer of my RO/DI unit recommends flushing the membrane for 20-30 seconds after "making" water. I do this about every half hour - hour of filter use. The theory is that rinsing the exterior of the membrane will prolong its usable life.

Membranes are only 40 bucks anyway, and I just wasted 20 on a new pack of filters after leaving it on 2 weeks. I'm gonna quit flushing it and just replace the membrane every 2 years instead of every 3.

Sounds financially prudent. That's quite a good lifespan you're getting out of your membrane currently anyway. I have a lot of evaporation with my 400w lights, open top and open sump, so I'm frequently making water and membranes don't last as long for me.

Back