Rose Bubble Anemone

cory6776

my dad's rose bubble anemone may be splitting soon and i want to move it into my aquarium but i dont have clownfish like he does so how should i feed it and how much should i feed it and what does it eat

I feed mine silver sides. For a new split, feed it a very small piece and soak it in ro water with a couple drops of selcon.

thx i will be getting clowns hopefully in a few months the anemone is the first real living thing to go into my tank besides snails and crabs

You can pretty much feed it whatever meaty seafood you have.

I feed mine bits of shrimp, squid, octopus, scallops, etc. Basically large chunks of the food that I feed my fish and my anemone is doing great.

how should i feed it should i just stick my hand in the water and brush the food on the tentacles or should i use a little wooden skewer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196400#post14196400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cory6776
thx i will be getting clowns hopefully in a few months the anemone is the first real living thing to go into my tank besides snails and crabs

Don't take this the wrong way, but an Anemone is a poor choice of first livestock in a new tank. Seeing as you are new here, and at this point only have snails and crabs in your tank, I'm thinking that your tank is most likely not stable enough yet to support such a delicate animal.

That was the first thing i thought when i read this also DgenR8... i think you should try some fish first...

im just thinkin about an anemone becuz my water is better than my dads (criecken) and his anemone is splitting so its just there and would be easy to put in my tank after it splits cuz it will be moving around and be easy to get out since it wont be firmly rooted to a rock yet

Anemones will split due to the stress of inadequate surroundings. It seems to me that moving that split into your new tank would be like moving it from the frying pan, into the fire.

There is no test kit to measure maturity of a tank, but maturity is very important when it comes to delicate creatures. How long has your tank been set up? What kind of lighting have you got to offer this animal?

i have very good lighting in my tank and its been up for a month but from what your saying i dont think that i should move it just yet i will have one eventually but it isnt nescessary right now i guess but if you have suggestions as to what i can do to prep my water for an anemone then that will help me a lot in the future

Give your tank another 5 or 6 months to settle in and mature before adding an Anemone. It's unfortunately not something you can test for. If your cycle has completed and water quality is good, you can start with a fish or two, even hardy frags. You should be able to find a local to set you up with a piece of leather, some Xenia, or Kenya tree. If they do well, it's a sign that you're off to a good start.

I have to agree with all of the other replies. The tank is still a little too new, although you have a good maintenance schedule planned and used mature water. Give it some time, patience is a virtue in this hobby, and I am sure you will have an outstanding tank. You show a great deal of good enthusiasm, keep it up and keep asking questions. The members on the board will be very helpful to your success.

Worth noting: even if you have clownfish, you should be feeding your RBTAs. RBTAs only barely get enough energy to survive from light even in really good lighting, and they don't get enough energy to grow much (they need protein for tissue-building). The food they get from clownfish detritus isn't enough to keep them healthy.

I feed my big RBTA silversides, but any meaty food is good. For an idea of how much they eat: the big one opens its mouth when it is hungry and I've had to feed it a big silverside at least every other day since I got it. I break the silverside in half while it is frozen to make it easier for the RBTA to swallow. I also have a dime-sized baby RBTA that likes flakes, so I feed it when I am feeding the fish every day. I got these RBTAs from chetm2 and he had about 10 big ones plus some tiny ones that split from 2. He was feeding silversides and getting rapid growth, but has kept them healthy and not-so-quickly growing by feeding them pellets lately.

Back