Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

its seating at 9" of water and the reading of air meter is 20lpm so=1200lph
i can take some picture when i get home if it help
thanks

Definitely take some photos when you get home. If the skimmer is only pulling 1200LPH it wouldn't even function properly at all, you would never have any skimmate in the cup.

its hardly have any skimmate or maybe some yellow tea skimmate that why i ask if 1500lph is record just the big air tube or with small red air tube too?
i have 47mm nozzle in there so its should read 2200 or more
i will take some picture tonite for sure thanks

Does the alpha 200 have the red dragon 1500 or 1000 pump on it? I have seen conflicting info on this. Thanks.

The Alpha 200 has the Red Dragon 1500 pump on it. The 1000 and 1500 use the exact same Askoll motorblock, only the pump head is different.

its hardly have any skimmate or maybe some yellow tea skimmate that why i ask if 1500lph is record just the big air tube or with small red air tube too?
i have 47mm nozzle in there so its should read 2200 or more
i will take some picture tonite for sure thanks

Pull the red ozone tube off of the nozzle on the pump intake and then measure again.
Also, your reading depends on what meter you are using and how "accurate" your meter is compared to the reference meter. The meters we use are not all that accurate for what we are using them for and they are really only good for reference. My small Dwyer RMA reads differently than my large Dwyer RMC meter. A former 200 owner who ultimately returned his skimmer to Jeremy was claiming that he was measuring a few hundred LPH lower than he should have been. When he returned the skimmer to Jeremy, the numbers were exactly what they should have been.

Just a few things to keep in mind before assuming there really is a problem.

so do we ever need to install that red ozone tube again ? to run skimmer?
i have dwyer lpm meter and i will try it again without red tube tonite to see what is the reading is,,thanks

So which meter was right? Sure one isn't over hyping the numbers? I too would like to figure out the right meter to use so we are all apples to apples and no one can get it wrong if they are using the proper tools. I believe I used an RMA22 if memory serves me correctly. It was borrowed and I do not own it. By over hyping I do not mean someone was making false claims on purpose I mean maybe that meter model reads high. Or maybe they are both wrong that were used in this instance who knows? When I took the measurement the meter did not top out but it was jumpy. Could have been the surging pump doing that I guess.
When I checked the air with both lines hooked up they added up to the same as when I had only the large line hooked up and the red open flowing water. It at least appeared that the red line hooked up drawing air was not beneficial.

My alpha 300 just arrived and I did hear harps when I opened the box. This thinf is a beast not to mention a thing of beauty!!!

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

My alpha 300 just arrived and I did hear harps when I opened the box. This thinf is a beast not to mention a thing of beauty!!!

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

Congrats! I'm eagerly awaiting for my Alpha 200 tomorrow. I hope I hear harps playing when I open the box, too.

There is a shipment of Alpha's on the way to the US right now, specifically 200's and 250's, however I do not have an eta yet. They still have to go through customs, etc.

The Alpha 250 should be reading around1500LPH with the 59mm nozzle, 1800LPH with the 56mm nozzle, and around 2200-2300LPH with the 47mm nozzle. Please note that only the very first batch of 250's had the 59mm 1500LPH nozzle in them. The 250's ship with the 56mm and 47mm nozzle now.

ok jeremy here is some picture with air metter (without red tube ozone)
59mm nozzle 38lpm=2280lph
DSC_0057.jpg

47mm thick wall 33lpm=1980lph
DSC_0059.jpg

47mm thin wall
DSC_0054.jpg

water level
DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

are you sure your # above is right jeremy??
look like longer nozzle will full more air

So which meter was right? Sure one isn't over hyping the numbers? I too would like to figure out the right meter to use so we are all apples to apples and no one can get it wrong if they are using the proper tools. I believe I used an RMA22 if memory serves me correctly. It was borrowed and I do not own it. By over hyping I do not mean someone was making false claims on purpose I mean maybe that meter model reads high. Or maybe they are both wrong that were used in this instance who knows? When I took the measurement the meter did not top out but it was jumpy. Could have been the surging pump doing that I guess.
When I checked the air with both lines hooked up they added up to the same as when I had only the large line hooked up and the red open flowing water. It at least appeared that the red line hooked up drawing air was not beneficial.

The dwyer meters and similiar types are NOT entirely accurate for measuring skimmers air draw. When RE puts out the numbers they are from measurments with a different type of air measurement device/meter that is more suited for the purpose. If one cares to search through the thread, Klaus states what device he uses to test his skimmers and derive the air draw numbers.

If you are comparing numbers with Jeremy, then that is fine, for reference purposes, IF you are using the same MODEL (not just brand but brand AND model) meter that he is using. Just like I stated, my RMA and my RMC will take two different measurments of the same skimmer. My RMA has smaller intakes, through port and output than the RMC and restricts the flow much more. Both meters restrict the skimmer pumps air intake, (the RMC has 3/8" threaded intakes and still restricts the flow). ... it is perfectly logical that NEITHER will give a truly accurate measurement. But they are perfectly fine for my own reference or reference against another same brand and model meter. But I wouldnt take a measurement with my RMA and expect it accurately match that of someone elses RMC or RMB or another brand and model of air flow meter.

That said, and not to re-open old issues but the 200 that you returned measured as Jeremy expected and was working perfectly when Jeremy tested it. The meter he used measured the air draw that he was typically measuring with properly performing Alpha 200's which was, if memory serves, several hundred LPH over what yo reported here on the forum. And the pump was not surging. He would never have offered it for sale in this thread and re-sold it if it did not perform as it should.

--------------------------------------------------

kvmn ... I dont know if removing the ozone tube will change the numbers you measure on the main air line. You stated that you were measuring 300 LPM, or whatever it was, through the ozone tube so I figured it was worth a shot to remove it and measure just the main air line since it seems logical that they could be sharing the air to some degree.

Question: DO you have to run Ozone into both pumps on the Alpha or can it be can through just one of them?

Question: Are the inner cannula's (that red and grey thing) completely removable and if so what it the effect on skimming and air draw?

You do not have to run ozone into both pumps if you do not want to. It just makes sense to set both pumps up that way, especially if it's going on a 1000gal system that could potentially be using a big ozonzier, etc.

The red and grey nozzle are fully removeable. Stick your finger in there and pull it out. It it doesn't come out, then pull off the entire venturi / nozzle assembly from the white pump head and push it out the front from the back side.

jeremy are you sure this # below is right?
The Alpha 250 should be reading around1500LPH with the 59mm nozzle, 1800LPH with the 56mm nozzle, and around 2200-2300LPH with the 47mm nozzle.

jeremy are you sure this # below is right?
The Alpha 250 should be reading around1500LPH with the 59mm nozzle, 1800LPH with the 56mm nozzle, and around 2200-2300LPH with the 47mm nozzle.

Yes, I am 110% sure of this. If you'd like, send me your pump and I'll hook it up on my Alpha 250 and test it for you.

Back