Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

I haven't run carbon for a while now, last time was probably when I went skimmerless earlier this year. Yeah, the water is a little discolored most likely from the chaeto macro. The photo is about right, I notice it when doing weekly water changes, too. Looks like I'll have to buy some carbon media and start that up again.

Update: Skimmate is now a light brown color. After emptying the cup of that bright green waste, the skimmer collected a little brown skimmate overnight. So far so good.

So I received my 170 upgrade kit and am glad to see that the foam had is much more "milky" after a couple of days. The surging is gone and overall i think I will be much happier.

I wanted to make sure that I go the tuning process correct, because basically my nozzle is unscrewed as much as possible.

1. Unplug the silencer and install the new parts, letting sit for a day.
2. On day 1-2, unscrew the adjustment valve until you stop the surging, then continue unscrewing until air bubbles start. (In my case, I would only see bubbles if I pulled out the nozzle 100%)

What I find is the nozzle starts to move a bit on its own, and have found it unscrewed 2x. Also the foam head seems to be much more sensitive than it was in the past.

Has anyone tried using the new wheel with the old non-adjustable housing?

Sorry if its been covered before, but I can't seem to find an answer - how's the collection cup connected to the body - is it a screw type system?, or a quarter turn, or a straight pull out? Is it easy to remove the collection cup?

Thanks!

Sorry if its been covered before, but I can't seem to find an answer - how's the collection cup connected to the body - is it a screw type system?, or a quarter turn, or a straight pull out? Is it easy to remove the collection cup?

Thanks!

My 170 is screw type. About 2-3 turns...

Ok, I am now much more informed on why I recieved the 170 upgrade kit from Premium. I had just got my skimmer set up good last week when I recieved an email saying that I had another package coming from Premium via UPS. I had not ordered anything else and it was shipped free of charge, so I just patiently waited to see what it was. When it came in, it was more parts for my new 170. At the time, I didn't know why I had them, but I do now. I will be installing them asap to see if I get better results. I guess I should take the time to read the forums more often. lol... Jeremy & Klaus, thanks for everything!!!

Hi Jeremy,
I had the surging, and the surging is definitely gone now, after unscrewing the nozzle. I still have not found my perfect point for adjustment, but the early signs are showing that the skimmer is more adjustable than in the past as well. I think the foam head looks more milky. My only concern is that I ended up unscrewing the nozzle out as far as possible, as I would not get microbubbles until the nozzle was completely removed.

Can you check my post, on this same page and make sure I performed the correct action.

Thanks Jeremy,
Another question. How do we know whats optimal for our setup? Is there an easy way to visually tell, or just trial and error?

It's going to be all trial and error. Everyone's system will be different, as there are so many variable to that go into it. Give it a few months of trying different settings every few weeks and see what works best for you.

jeremy can i buy a collection cup O ring for my 250alpha from you or i have to special order it from proline? lmk thanks

Probably a noob question, but I'll ask anyway...can you unscrew the collection cup w/ the pump running? Is it okay or is it better to turn the pump off first?

So far, I've been turning it off before emptying the waste. I finally have my skimmer dialed in and turning off may take a short while to get it producing skimmate again. TIA.

Update: No more bright green skimmate, it's brown-green now.

mcbaes72- why not just have a drain tube on your collection cup drain to an external container? That's what I did. Life is so much simpler not having to remove collection cups!

+1 to subman. I drain my 200 into a 1/2 gallon pitcher. Then take my skimmer cup off to clean it every 4-5 weeks. Need to get s small squeegee to clean the neck. That way I can go 2-3 months between pulling the cup.

Thanks rbnice1... I use paper towels and reach into the neck to wipe it clean. Hands get a little dirty but cup and neck get clean. I've yet had to take off the cup. :)

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that since I had it that way w/ my old ETSS and a 2-liter bottle. Just wondering if it's okay to unscrew skimmer cup while pump is on or not.

I recommend shutting it down for any maintenance, I do. Otherwise, you run the risk of it bubbling all over the place.

'05 Audi S4??? What kind of aquarium equipment is that? LOL :)

So what's everyone running their revised 170's at? Mine is currently at 9" of water, 2 full turns open at the pump and 80-90% closed. 24 hour pics...
DSC_2348.jpg

Back