RTN and temp

Agu

Premium Member
In your most recent article Dr Rosenberg found a direct correlation between the water temp and the bacteria that causes RTN in the coral he's studied. "With water cooling below the virulance temperature, the bacteria die rapidly."

This would appear to have huge potential implications for the hobby. The advice to keep our tanks at normal sea water temps puts us within the "danger zone" should something fail ie; cooling fan, chiller, etc. Also it implies that lowering tank temp could be a viable treatment for RTN, has this been tried?

Agu

Agu:

Hold on there. Nowhere does it say that Rosenberg found a correlation between water temp and RTN. First of all, because "RTN" is an aquarium term that may represent one *or* many forms of tissue loss by necrosis, apoptosis, etc. We have no real idea what RTN is.

Second, Rosenberg has characterized the etiology of bacterial bleaching by Vibrio shilloi. Bleaching is the loss of zooxanthellae. It does not mean tissue loss. The tissue of bleached corals remains intact. Also, this is one coral in one area with one Vibrio. It does NOT have RTN or any other form of tissue loss or disease.

The possibility or implications of his recent and as yet very incomplete work with V. corallyticus in a species of Pocillopora from a couple of areas is interesting as here tissue lysis is involved - preceded by bleaching - also not characterisitic of RTN where you see tissue loss without bleaching - usually.

Yes, I agree the implications are there. Yes, I think perhaps that lowering temperatures in cases that have the same signs as bacterial bleaching or "RTN" might be warranted in trials, with the person clearly following some pattern of trial. It will not amount to anything concrete for a long time, but definitely worth some trial and error anecdote because I don't think it will hurt anything. No, I am not suggesting everyone start to keep their tanks at lower temperatures.

FWIW, RTN does seem to happen much more freqquently during the summer. It is not, however, limited to the summer by any means, and I just lost a fragment not too long ago from what appeared to be the same signs as RTN during a very cold snap and before I was able to get heaters into the tank.

So, while I presented this information for the interest, information, and implications, I absolutely am not saying or even proposing more than what is written. I'm thinking a lot about it, will be looking a this over the coming years in greater depth, and following new developments with keen interest....but let's not go jumping the gun, and without question I don't want anyone to be spreading false information to others.

The LAST thing I want to hear coming back to me is that "Eric Borneman says RTN is caused by Vibrio in hot water and that you can cure it by cooling your tank."

I am not one of those people who writes articles in magazines claiming that bacterial infections are responsible whenever a coral dies and then also stating it without any good experimental evidence to support it. :rolleyes:

I hope this clarifies things a bit

Back