Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them

wouldn't this method cause creep going on and off all the time? sounds like a safe set up but im trying to figure out something just as safe but a low level on turn on and a high level off turn off.

I have mine set to fill about 30g at a time. I went back and read my initial post and it wasn't very clear. The hi float switch is at the 60g mark. The fail safe switch is at the 65g mark and then low switch is at the 30g mark. I left it at 30g in case there was ever an emergency and I needed to mix up a brute trash can full of salt water. I wanted to make sure that there would normally (except when I need to fill the 65 salt tank), be at least 30g of RO/DI ready to go.

I'm sure there would be some TDS creep, but I'll actually end up using less DI resin than I did before. I used to fill up a 7g container of RO/DI ever 4 - 6 days, so doing it once every 2 weeks or so is going to be better in my situation.

DI lasts me for a long time in the first place, so I'm not concerned.

Here is my setup all finished and functional. It's been running well for the last 4 days doing the automated water changes. I have it doing 3gpd and will throttle that back to ~1.5gpd in a month or so.

I was battling Aiptasia for about a year and really lost interest in the tank so my maintenance hasn't been that great. Now that I'm aiptasia free :celeb2:, I've really dove head first back into things.

I also mounted a Fire HD on the wall so I have a nice color display and control over the tank when I'm doing any maintenance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3549.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here is my setup all finished and functional. It's been running well for the last 4 days doing the automated water changes. I have it doing 3gpd and will throttle that back to ~1.5gpd in a month or so.

I was battling Aiptasia for about a year and really lost interest in the tank so my maintenance hasn't been that great. Now that I'm aiptasia free :celeb2:, I've really dove head first back into things.

I also mounted a Fire HD on the wall so I have a nice color display and control over the tank when I'm doing any maintenance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is that Table you have mounted to the wall running the Apex app?

Is that Table you have mounted to the wall running the Apex app?

Not the app, but the Fusion website. I set the Fire in developer mode and disabled the screen auto shutoff. It's powered off a PoE injector.

I fixed the pictures in my original post so you can see a close up of the tablet. I had the attachments screwed up in the original post.

Not the app, but the Fusion website. I set the Fire in developer mode and disabled the screen auto shutoff. It's powered off a PoE injector.

I fixed the pictures in my original post so you can see a close up of the tablet. I had the attachments screwed up in the original post.

How are you doing it through PoE, the switch?

Did you made the mount or purchase it?

I bought it. I really like the mount, but it was terribly expensive. Nothing like paying $50 for a tablet and then $100 + shipping for the mount. :headwally:

Unfortunately, there aren't that many options out there and none of them for the Kindle are reasonably priced.

I went with the Vidabox low profile. It's really nice and looks sleek, but damn, it was expensive.

I bought it. I really like the mount, but it was terribly expensive. Nothing like paying $50 for a tablet and then $100 + shipping for the mount. :headwally:

Unfortunately, there aren't that many options out there and none of them for the Kindle are reasonably priced.

I went with the Vidabox low profile. It's really nice and looks sleek, but damn, it was expensive.

Thank you so much, I just ordered the Kindle and am now going to order the mount and the 5v adapter.

I'm not a fan of apple products and do not want to mount my large Samsung tablet to the wall as I use it a ton. Plus it has 4G LTE and I don't really need that in the basement of my house.:beer:

It may have been mentioned before but i only went 5-6 pages back. Setting a mixing station in a garage that experiences freezing winter. No garage heat. Garage never freezes. How can this effect the water mixing station? Bad idea? Thanks
I would plan to use heater 1-2 days before water change if all else is plausible

It may have been mentioned before but i only went 5-6 pages back. Setting a mixing station in a garage that experiences freezing winter. No garage heat. Garage never freezes. How can this effect the water mixing station? Bad idea? Thanks
I would plan to use heater 1-2 days before water change if all else is plausible

Just a couple of thoughts. As long as there is nothing freezing in your garage I think it is doable. Consider what size water changes you are doing and make sure it does not drop the temp in the DT too far. For me I do AWC and 1-2 gallons/day on a 150 makes zero difference. Also consider if you mix your salt cold and what that might do to the SG when you heat it up a little. Small changes should not matter but if you go from just above freezing to around 80 or so, it could. Someone else might chime in on that topic. Of course you RO/DI system would be possibly affected but really only if you get below freezing in the garage...

Yeah I wouldn't be worried about the water temps in the barrels but more so the RODI production. I would put the RODI unit in the house if possible and run the line to the garage.

Here is my RODI / Mixing Station.

The top is RO/DI and the bottom Saltwater. The bottom has a pump for mixing, Drawing from the bottom and returning to the top of the tank. I also added a "t" to add a pump to the RO/DI if i desire to in the future. Both empty out into the same Output.

20170128_001753_zpsatry0h5c.jpg~original

20170123_150536_zpswavhc1ob.jpg~original

20170123_150455_zps6tyhhrtc.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted in here before about the killer set ups, but now I've got a dilemma. I'm moving into a new house and will setting up a 90 gallon. I plan on running the ro/di right into the tank then mixing in the tank. That aside, I need to start keeping ro/di on the ready. Where does everyone go to get these drums? (Any drum for that matter). I do not want to do a brute trash can, but will if that's all I can find in the end. I am aware this is region specific, but would like to know where everyone got theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's my mixing station. after RODI water fills the 33 gal container the other branch runs directly to a float in my sump as an ATO system. water is siphoned from the tank thru 25+ ft of PVC to a basement utility sink and then fresh salt water is pumped from 33 gal mixing container directly to back of tank via parallel PVC.

Back