Salt, what do you use?

I use Oceanic for Reef systems, primarily for the high Magnesium content. The Calcium reactors on the systems do the rest.

Instant Ocean for fish systems. .

I use Reef Crystals, just because it is what I started with. I'm afraid to try new salts because of the crashes I've heard about when switching. I think my tank looks pretty good using RC, so I will probably keep using it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14777828#post14777828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BBQ BLUE
I am currently experimenting with mixing salts. I read an article about the presence of specific heavy metals, in all synthetic salts, that can accumulate over time. I am currently searching for a salt that is rich in Mg.
RC+ IO+Tropic Marin
Yes they all do contain higher levels of metals and other trace elements than natural sea water. There is no reliable current data showing these trace levels for various brands and they likely vary from element to element in different brands. Most I suspect enter the mix as impurities.

This and the 'bad batch 'issues are why I personally don't favor switching mixes and would encourage gradual change overs when switching salts.

If your system is adapted to account for a mix higher in zinc and lower in copper for example, it seems to me a different mix higher in copper and lower in zinc even at less than toxic levels might pose a problem without time for the system to adjust.

These traces are dealt with in the aquarium by bacteria who fix them into organics and to some extent by corals and other organisms who may deposit them in their skeletons or tissue mass to be rid of them or some of them will simply precipitate out of the water .

Having said that most report no difficulty with changing brands although there are occasional reports of crashes associated with some which may be attributable to "bad batches" of salt or maybe just the differences in the trace levels or some other variable unrelated to the salt.

Using RC, don't see a need to change and am also concerned about the effect if and when I did switch. - Mark

RC but switched to Oceanic a year ago.

I love how fast Oceanic mixes and I haven't had to dose calcium in over 6 months. Plus its substantially cheaper now than RC.

Back