Sam's 7.5g Do!Aqua cube lit by 320 Christmas LED lights

I'm not sure if it will be enough light for higher light corals, but according to the link above zoas, xenia, kenya tree and shrooms had definite growth in only a 2 month period under his Christmas LEDs. He also had ricordias, gsp, candy cane, toadstool leather, and even a monti cap that seemed to do fine. Plus, I also doubled the LED count and my tank is 5 gallons smaller than his so I'm hoping for good results. I have no idea if I'll have algae problems. This tank is really just a test to see how Christmas LEDs compare to other reef aquarium lighting.

Finally got the aquascape how I like it. Pics tomorrow! :D

I am counting on this working for SPS so all the LED DIY people will slap themselves in the head when they see this! Haha

JT

My LFS is willing to use their par meter to test it next time I'm in there. I'll post the results once I find out.

Turned out really nice! Kudos to you. Do you think the flashing LEDs are going to get annoying? I kinda wish I had held onto mine. I haven't heard word one from the person I gave the tank to since I gave it to them :(

Turned out really nice! Kudos to you. Do you think the flashing LEDs are going to get annoying? I kinda wish I had held onto mine. I haven't heard word one from the person I gave the tank to since I gave it to them :(

I don't think they will even be noticeable, there's only 20 of them and it's a fairly slow on/off cycle. Is the person you gave it to on RC?

First off, I love the tank. Working on a rimless 20 with LED's atm myself.

I have to admit though... When I saw all those boxes of christmas lights, I was a bit dumbfounded. Tagging along out of sheer morbid curiosity.

Any concern with shorting out the light strands, since I assume there not exactly waterproof, and with no optics will have to be really close to the water.

If you can grow coral, with good rate and color, under christmas lights.... Every reef lighting manufacturer in the world will be out of business.

I'm basing all my information off of Phurst's observations with his nano. I'm hoping to add on to that by first hand experience, so right now I have no idea if it will short or even if it will be enough light. Hopefully the PAR readings will give me a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I might even discover a new cheap lighting choice for nanos! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :) That's part of the reason I'm trying it out, I have no idea what's going to happen.

IMG_3884.jpg

More egg crate for creating my 'scape.

This is GENIUS :idea:

Thanks, didn't take much to do it, and it's going to be a lot easier to create the volcano style aquascape I want.

Is the person you gave it to on RC?

She was, but I haven't seen her post since she picked up the tank.

Any concern with shorting out the light strands, since I assume there not exactly waterproof, and with no optics will have to be really close to the water.

If you can grow coral, with good rate and color, under christmas lights.... Every reef lighting manufacturer in the world will be out of business.

The ones I used were indoor/outdoor, so they were at least nominally moisture resistant. My array was like 1" off the water, so yeah, they were pretty close.

Im here tagging long. Im hooked and cant wait for the christmas lights to go on sale. lol A few more weeks and im sure walmart will have them.

Back