Scandinavian / Japanese Style Reef Tank

I would not dose amino if u are having cyano issue . Instead I would recommend to use coral snow from kZ mix with zeobak

Watched the video. All very nice but I think that it is necessary to put more powerful return nasos.Naprimer this big. - Royal Exclusiv RD3 Speedy NEW 80W Judging from the video is very little exchange of water between the screen and casing.

In my tank, 650 liters installed and it is very quiet and efficient.
And flow in the small display must also be added.

And strongly recommend installing phosphate reactor.
It will help to reduce the phosphates without the use of heavy chemicals.
And of course the launch of the system without the RO \ DI installation was not correct.
Now you need to slowly slowly restores your system's water chemistry. And I saw, there you have carbon in the sump? It also does not hurt.
Good luck.

Hello everyone,

I have been very busy with work and hence not able to send an update earlier.
A couple of big changes has happened and things seem to be going a better way:

1. Oceon Motion pump. We finally had the new pump installed. A Skimz 11.000L/h totally silent. A pure pleasure after all the issues we had with the previous one.

2. Oceon Motion tumble dryer sound. When the new pump was installed we were very happy to notice that there was no more sound by the rotating drum"¦ That unfortunately lasted 2 days and then a different type of problem with the drum of the oceon motion occurred: It seems like the drum is having difficulties in rotating and makes a certain sound and frequent intervals. I have been in contact with the customer support of Ocean Motion (Paul) who are good in replying right away. Initially they suspected that there was something wrong with the drum. Now they are moving their focus on the rotating mechanism and later on tonight when I go home I will need to check how that works manually. If this also seems to be ok then they will most probably focus on the diameter of the PVC pipes and if they are the ones to cause problem . Pauls reply this morning: "œIf you unplug the motor then remove the 2 screws holding the motor mount down (large allen screws) leave the pump running, slowly rotate the whole upper assembly, you are now moving the drum inside as you turn, turn completely and try and feel where and when the thumping occurs, the version 3 drum is less problematic than the version 1 as it is more balanced, restrictions in pipe size also doesn't help too small outlets restrict the pump and cause bumping as the drum jumps to an area it favours most."
We haven't YET given up for the Oceon Motion as we do like a lot the fact that you can hide the pipes

3. Stream pump. Irrespective of the Oceon Motion we determined with the help of some experts that the flow inside the tank was not sufficient so we did one investement. We installed one Tunze Turbelle stream 6255 wide flow. With a flow performance 5.000 to approx. 18.000l/h and with the oceon motion on we can clearly see a significant amount of flow. We also installed a wavecontroller Tunze 7092 and we got a smile in our face watching how our fish and corals liked the flow. We located the stream pump at the right hand side hidden by the rock formation in front.

4. Dosing. Since we had 0 NO2 we started dosing Zeo Pohl Extra (7 drops a day) along with Zeo Bak (7 drops a day)

Observations:
- Our Redox has been steadily increasing daily and has now reached 290 ( we started 2 months ago with a valu of 112)
- Our clown fishes couple decided to make babies! The other day I noticed these small sesame seeds with 2 white dots stuck next to the anemone. Is the first time I experience something like this. Priceless feeling - too bad they will end being food for the rest of our creatures
- 3 weeks after we bought the test set of corals they are all doing well and we can see some growth on some (for the first time ever in our tank)

Many messaged me that you had problems in viewing the video i made so i encoded it and here it comes. Click the link below to start playing it:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73238736" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/73238736">Fish Tank 01 Sept 2013</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user18238204">cbit</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

And here is a optimistic picture of our little babies :bounce2:

Thank you for reading the update and best wishes from the heart of Denmark

Dino

Watched the video. All very nice but I think that it is necessary to put more powerful return nasos.Naprimer this big. - Royal Exclusiv RD3 Speedy NEW 80W Judging from the video is very little exchange of water between the screen and casing.

In my tank, 650 liters installed and it is very quiet and efficient.
And flow in the small display must also be added.

And strongly recommend installing phosphate reactor.
It will help to reduce the phosphates without the use of heavy chemicals.
And of course the launch of the system without the RO \ DI installation was not correct.
Now you need to slowly slowly restores your system's water chemistry. And I saw, there you have carbon in the sump? It also does not hurt.
Good luck.

Aleks I appreciate your time and suggestions. we are considering adding calcium and phosphate reactor in the future once we will have the chemistry restored.

Best regards,
Dino

Hello everyone,

Here comes a small update. Things seem to be going the right way. The test set corals we bought count 4 weeks and no signs of stress of tissue necrosis.

For the first time we start seeing some coral growth which is news for our tank and makes us very happy and positive for the future. Still we take it easy though and stick to only dosing bacteria and a Pohl Extra due to zero NO3 we got.

Here are some pictures:

PART A

PART E

Thats all from me. Thanks for reading the update.

Sending you all best wishes fromcold and rainy Copenhagen

:wavehand:

Dino

Nice!!! Looking much better, and great news that you have some growth:)

It`s raining in Oslo Norway aswell;)

Looks like everything is starting to turn for the better. Glad you stuck with it. Beautiful tank!!

Hello from Southern California, USA!

I was especially interested to read your thread after seeing that you hail from Denmark. You see, my great grandparents immigrated to America from Denmark. My lineage is almost completely Danish but I've never had the chance to visit.

Enough about me, I'd like to talk about your tank for a moment. I'm happy to see that many of your issues are behind you.

A couple tips moving forward. I've learned several important lessons over eight successful years in the hobby. I'd like to impart some of my wisdom.

Several others have mentioned that you may have over stocked the tank too quickly. I agree with them. I believe it to be the root cause of all your troubles. Patience is key in this hobby as I'm sure you're learning.

Many of the quick fixes you've attempted were in my opinion unnecessary. In most cases, it is best to focus on stable and clean water and let nature take its course. To me, the absolute best method of maintaining stable and clean water is to provide a high amount of flow, rigorous skimming and water changes as needed to bring phosphates and nitrates down.

An easy way to maintain high water quality is to move very slowly with the livestock additions. It's important to start slow, make sure the system can handle the livestock, then add some more, wait, then add some more, and wait. This hobby is all about finding balance and equilibrium. It is easy to tip the balance if you aren't careful. And as you have found out the hard way, as soon as livestock begins to die, it can have a cascading effect. It is much safer to add a minimal amount of livestock and make sure the system can handle it before adding more.

With each tank I've set up, I waited at least two months before adding ANYTHING. All of the algae outbreaks you were facing were completely normal for a new tank. It's part of the process. It pained me to see that you were being so hard on yourself. I've never heard of a new tank that didn't go through algae blooms like yours. It's our first instinct to stick our hands in our tanks and try to fix the problem, our tanks are our babies and it pains us to see them in trouble. However, in most cases it is better just to let time pass and let mother nature do her thing.

It appears that your tank is now past the algae bloom stage. Which is good news! However, I would not take this as an invitation to add a bunch of livestock. Give your tank some time to settle out. Tweak the details, get it running as best as you can with the livestock you already have.

I'm an advocate of high flow. I think you'll see a lot of benefits to the new power heads you're adding. In my opinion, a high quality pump like a Tunze is a work of art on its own. I wouldn't be concerned about hiding it.

Good luck my friend. I'll keep an eye on your thread and try to help where I can.

Regards,
Chad

And while we were changing the filter we noticed something tiny stuck on the glass of the sump. We took it out.. got my little camera and here is a little baby hare. Its no bigger that 1.5cm

How did it get in the tank, how it travelled through the overflow filter down the sump, how it did not got sucked by the skimmer and just made it all the way to the filter... is a miracle..

We feel we got a kidder garden with all these babies :mixed:

CLICK THE PICTURE BELOW TO SEE THE VIDEO

Best regards from Denmark

Dino

Hello from Southern California, USA!

I was especially interested to read your thread after seeing that you hail from Denmark. You see, my great grandparents immigrated to America from Denmark. My lineage is almost completely Danish but I've never had the chance to visit.

Enough about me, I'd like to talk about your tank for a moment. I'm happy to see that many of your issues are behind you.

A couple tips moving forward. I've learned several important lessons over eight successful years in the hobby. I'd like to impart some of my wisdom.

Several others have mentioned that you may have over stocked the tank too quickly. I agree with them. I believe it to be the root cause of all your troubles. Patience is key in this hobby as I'm sure you're learning.

Many of the quick fixes you've attempted were in my opinion unnecessary. In most cases, it is best to focus on stable and clean water and let nature take its course. To me, the absolute best method of maintaining stable and clean water is to provide a high amount of flow, rigorous skimming and water changes as needed to bring phosphates and nitrates down.

An easy way to maintain high water quality is to move very slowly with the livestock additions. It's important to start slow, make sure the system can handle the livestock, then add some more, wait, then add some more, and wait. This hobby is all about finding balance and equilibrium. It is easy to tip the balance if you aren't careful. And as you have found out the hard way, as soon as livestock begins to die, it can have a cascading effect. It is much safer to add a minimal amount of livestock and make sure the system can handle it before adding more.

With each tank I've set up, I waited at least two months before adding ANYTHING. All of the algae outbreaks you were facing were completely normal for a new tank. It's part of the process. It pained me to see that you were being so hard on yourself. I've never heard of a new tank that didn't go through algae blooms like yours. It's our first instinct to stick our hands in our tanks and try to fix the problem, our tanks are our babies and it pains us to see them in trouble. However, in most cases it is better just to let time pass and let mother nature do her thing.

It appears that your tank is now past the algae bloom stage. Which is good news! However, I would not take this as an invitation to add a bunch of livestock. Give your tank some time to settle out. Tweak the details, get it running as best as you can with the livestock you already have.

I'm an advocate of high flow. I think you'll see a lot of benefits to the new power heads you're adding. In my opinion, a high quality pump like a Tunze is a work of art on its own. I wouldn't be concerned about hiding it.

Good luck my friend. I'll keep an eye on your thread and try to help where I can.

Regards,
Chad

Hello Chad,

So nice to read your reply and your tips. We did several mistakes at the beginning and most probably we will do even more in the future. This is the first tank we set up with dead rock and we tried alot of new things at the same time.

As to when I started with this thread I promised to give ideas to rest of users of what to do and what NOT to do. Guess i learned the hard way haha

After experiencing so positive reaction from the tank after we installed the Tunze I can only agree with you. If only earlier someone would have shake our shoulders (with a couple of slaps) and wake us up from the illusion that we would be able to have enough flow with the equipment we chose to install. Again better late than ever. Thanks to all the good feedback and the assistance of a good friend here in Denmark we got this Tunze miracle pump and already now i cannot wait the moment i will have enough money to get a second one.

Chad thanks for your time in writing to me and reading the thread and best regards from your motherland.

:fish2:

Dino

Back