School Tank update

dantodd

Howdy all,

A lot of you guys donated equipment to my project tank at my son's school (http://www.theavalonacademy.org )

I thought I'd send an update since things have settled in quite nicely. Unfortunately I did lose a beautiful Hippo Tang that Tyler at Dolphin donated. (Ate well for 3 days then just stopped eating and died in 2 days)

I also tore down my 72bf when the lights failed.

I moved my Breeding pair of Clarkii, Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty along with some of their rocks and the 5 BTA clones from my 72 into the 100 gallon tank.

In addition to the donations of sand, rock, sumps etc. from all the BAR members Tyler at Dolphin has also donated livestock and food to the project and IceCap donated 2 150w pendants which was a wonderful gift.

I have both lights hanging on one side of the tank so there is a bright and a dim side to the tank. The anemone are thriving and there is at least one new clone on the bright side of the tank. The coralline algae is doing well on the dim side. I lit the tank this way because many of the kids at Cameron's school have visual impairments some are very attracted to bright lights and others don't like bright lights.

The Clarkii didn't miss a single nest in the move to the new tank. I was really excited about that.

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

Cool... Is there a problem with the kids looking up at the light bulb?? Look like there are a lot of anemones in there. I bet the kids love that.

I put in 5 there are now either 6 or 7, it's hard to get a good look at their feet. So far the kids haven't had a problem with the lights. They really love it. I'm considering adding more lights because they almost universally concentrate on the bright side of the tank.

BTW: I'm looking for a nice skimmer for the tank so if anyone has an extra floating around let me know.

looks great, i'm sure the kids really enjoy it.. i got some corals to donate too if you ever are in the area or come to BAR meeting, are you looking for softies only, or some easier stonies too?.. :D

Thanks guys. I haven't really thought about adding any more corals yet but I could certainly find spots for zoanthids, easier stonies and yuma. I have tons of xenia gsp etc. in my little 20 so I think I'm good there! :D

I was just thinking about this yesterday. The tank looks really good.

Congrats on a job well done - for you and all the donators!

Back