school,teachers(Who think they know what there talking about),and reefs.

I am currently in some what of a debate with a college professor if there was a Joe and a Curly Joe in the three stooges. He thinks they were both the same person, but i am pretty sure otherwise. I am trying the find it on the internet approach also haha. Good luck. I hope your teacher isnt one of the selfabsorbed always right type. I dealt with a few of those before.

This thread reminds me of last year when i was in 6th grade and lived in VA.My science teacher hadd a ten gallon freshwater.at that time i had 2 55gfw 2 20g fw,a 10g fw and 1 1g pico reef. I definetly new what i was talking about.

She had a tank that was wayyy overcrowded.She had two guppys and they got ick. I tried to tell her that they were sick,but she didnt believe me and said that is there adult colering:rolleyes: .So while our classes switched she would stand outside of the classroom when classes changed i would put some meds in the tank. The fish got better and she couldnt understand why the ick went away.

Too bad your not in my class. We have our own reef tank. The kids make donations to the "Save Nemo Aquarium Fund" to purchase new fish and coral. It's just a jar that they put extra change into that's on my desk.

We currently have a pair of clowns that have been in the tank for a couple of years, a fairly large toadstool, starpolyps, red mushrooms and a ricordia or two. Nothing too difficult but able to live under the cheap lighting that we can currently afford. We also recently acquired a RO/DI unit that I am going to set up.

I try to tie in reef/fish/corals into whatever we are discussing. Discussions on photosynthesis and symbiosis are especially easy to incorporate into the curriculum. We also discuss how fragile these ecosystems are and how man can either negatively or positively effect them. My students know that corals are plants but that many of them aquire much of their "energy" from sun with the aid of symbiotic algae.

I've also had my father come to our classes to discuss marine biology. He recently retired after 33 years with Texas Parks & Wildlife as a marine biologist. He even helped monitor several of the artifical reefs that were created out in the Gulf of Mexico by sinking large metal hulled ships. The kids love to ask him questions about fish and especially sharks.

I envy classes like the one speckled trout is teaching. Kids today are really savvy and deserve to have their minds challenged a bit.

I, like mandrin, had similar bad experiences. When I was in high school, we had this kooky science teacher try to make us create "ecopods" out of 2 L coke bottles. There was only about a cup of water at the bottom of each one. She wanted us to choose 2 fish to put in there... usually ended up being some poor guppies. She said that because we had seaweeds and land plants and snails in there, that it would "complete the cycle of life" and everything would live... in a dingy stagnant cup of water full of mud! I dreaded going to the back of the class every day to check on the dying things every day (they sat on the windowsill cooking in the sun).

I tried to suggest that this wasn't going to replicate nature since it was a closed environment much too small, with no water movement, but she never listened. Inevitably, all the fish ended up dead by the second week. And she would wonder why, and have us start over again with more seaweed. Still makes me irritated to think about it!

Today in school my geography teacher put a video on about south America. As you probobly know the Amozon river is in SA.There are piranhas in there. Well the video said ...

"the Amozon River is home to the deadly piranha.They are known for there aggressivness and there ability to rip a live cow to pieces in just a few minutes."

Then it showed a picture of one of thos freeze dried piranhas with its lips cut off to expose the teeth.If the people who made the video put the right info on the movie they would have had some better info about the piranha.Like there are some species of piranha that are vegitariens,or brazil exports over 20 million cardinal tetrs a year.

I just dont like how people spread thas roomers about the piranha. Ive been trying very hard to tell people for a long time(2 yrs) that piranhas arnet anything like people say about them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6737301#post6737301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mandrin13
I am not really sure when the books were published, there atleast 3-5 yrs old. I go to a catholic school so they have to raise there own money for new books.

welll theres the problom :p

Teachers are teachers because they have skills that they can't put to good use ... The American school system and it's teachers are implemented to weed out and socially categorize students before high school ends... so it must be our goal as students to pass these lame classes, so we can go onto college where learning and what we learn is up to us! If you **** them off now ... well you might end up being a high school guidance counselor ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6949784#post6949784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chocolateblnt
Teachers are teachers because they have skills that they can't put to good use ... The American school system and it's teachers are implemented to weed out and socially categorize students before high school ends... so it must be our goal as students to pass these lame classes, so we can go onto college where learning and what we learn is up to us! If you **** them off now ... well you might end up being a high school guidance counselor ;)

Your still forgetting that the first 2 years of college is good old General Education. I dont know about you but I still felt like I was in high school until the final 2 years.

I was a teacher, and let me affirm that quite often the texts are wrong. [Somebody who isn't an expert in any one field tries to collect information from a lot of "primary sources," ---books by people who do know what they're talking about---but gets it wrong in trying to condense and simplify. In other words, it's lost in translation.]
I'd advise talking to the teacher in private, maybe bringing in a reference book from the school library, with a few useful places marked, and show that. If I were in your place, I'd offer to do an extra-credit report about the subject, writing down the books you used, title and author, and quoting from them exactly, giving the page number where you found the info. That's not confrontational, it's clearly good scholarship, and it might get the teacher on your side.
If that doesn't work, it's not your fault. Talk to the school science teacher and see if you can at least get a sympathetic ear. And if you're running into misinformation on a broad front, and particularly if it's becoming a roadblock to learning or a threat to your grades, it's time to get the parental units involved and talk to the teacher and/or administration to see what can be resolved at that level.

As a former know-it-all in grade school, I will tell you to be patient and go to college, atleast most professors will know what they are doing (as long as they are full time). So there is a light at the end of a tunnel.

Don't rag on teachers, most are good people who want help you out. Sometimes a teacher has to dumb down info so that the kid that ate too much glue can understand it, even is the info becomes somewhat "wrong". And most of the time teacher are worried about being sued and want to avoid any type of 'contraversy'

I ended up 'teaching' my high school chemistry class and I really made the teacher look bad because I would correct him, and although he hated me, I made out with an A- because I knew my stuff however my brother was tortured because he got the same teacher who only tried to fail him.

In the end, knowing what is correct isnt the true education, but rather learning how to approaching people about what is correct is the big learning curb. You can the THE expert in the field but if you dont know how to share the info, you might as well be wrong.

I dont know if you have governor's school (Virginia's version of a school for the gifted) in florida, but maybe you need to apply for a special program or something. It helped alot but my spelling has never been "twoo gude" =P

I just found this thread and I am laughing so hard right now. I'm not laughing at any of you or what you have to put up with. It is difficult when you have to look at someone as a superior and you realize that they are very ignorant in some matters. Although you might be getting some bad information from your teachers, you are learning several valuable lessons that will help you get through life.
1. Throughout life you will have to deal with people like these teachers who propgate myths, falsehoods, and sometimes lies.
2. Adults are not always right. And sometimes we get our priorities totally screwed up. Remember that in 20 years if you remember nothing else. Don't fall into that trap.
3. Just because you read it in a book does not make it true.
4. Wisdom comes not from what you know but how you analyze facts. It also comes from knowing when to make judgements and when to keep an open mind.
5. Just because something is true does not mean it needs to be said.
6. Diplomacy is the art of being able to tell someone to go jump in a lake while making them look forward to the swim.
7. No one ever trusts the new person in a group. But no one is ever the new kid for very long.
8. Pick your battles carefully. Make sure the spoils of war outweigh the risks of defeat.
9. The truth usually comes out in the wash. Sometimes it takes a long time but the truth usually comes out eventually.
10. Adults really do learn as much from kids as kids learn from adults. Maybe the QUANTITY of things we learn from kids is not as big, but the QUALITY of things we learn from kids is immeasurable. And it starts when you first hold your child and you learn that 99% of the things that you thought were very important really aren't. And in 18 years you get to relearn that lesson when your child becomes an adult and leaves home.

Ain't it amazing how much we can learn from a box of water?

Many teachers are extremely well versed in their area of knowledge.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find enough qualified individuals willing to put up with all the hassles of dealing with students who are often times both unappreciative and disrespectful. In addition, it doesn't help that teachers are usually poorly compensated for their efforts.

AND---when women left the teaching profession in droves to take suddenly-possible jobs in math, science, and management, the profession lost the nearly-free labor pool that had kept the quality up for decades. Women who could have been rocket scientists were channeled into teaching science as a 'proper career choice' and paid peanuts in the process. It's better---but the pool of talent in the teaching profession has changed: you have the truly dedicated still holding up the sky on their shoulders---and then you have the others.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6998704#post6998704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
AND---when women left the teaching profession in droves to take suddenly-possible jobs in math, science, and management, the profession lost the nearly-free labor pool that had kept the quality up for decades. Women who could have been rocket scientists were channeled into teaching science as a 'proper career choice' and paid peanuts in the process. It's better---but the pool of talent in the teaching profession has changed: you have the truly dedicated still holding up the sky on their shoulders---and then you have the others.

Excellent point.

Also, when a profession requires a BS plus a certificate at the minimum and preferably a Master's degree but only pays common laborer wages you will get people who:

1. want to make a difference in children's lives and/or the future of our country.
2. thoroughly enjoy being a teacher.
3. graduated in the bottom of their class and have had a difficult time getting the job they wanted.

Unfortunately, a pretty large number of the category 3 people have made their way into the teaching profession. They used to have to compete with the large numbers of highly qualified women you speak of but they (the highly qualified women teachers) have been thinned out by the widening opportunities women enjoy today.

What a wonderful, educational thread so far...

I want to thank the teachers from my past that have made a difference in my life (and the ones that read this thread who, like them, do it as a labor of love). You are the reasons I am today a skilled physician, a proud army officer, and a secure woman.

And to the stubborn teachers that couldn't see the forest for the trees, I think I'll regress a bit and just leave you with... pffffffttthhhh :p

Don't rag on teachers, most are good people who want help you out. Sometimes a teacher has to dumb down info so that the kid that ate too much glue can understand it, even is the info becomes somewhat "wrong".

Yes most are and why would anyone want to be labeled a "teacher" if they were really "unteaching" what is readily available in public media and regarded as fact. Coral is an animal thats not controversial and is not going to get anyone sued. "Dumbing down the information" and trying to decide what the kids can take without blowing there fragile little minds is not a viable excuse IMO. Kids today are smart, we live in a global age that most of us only dreamed about growing up. Anything that a student or teacher wants to know is available at our request (as per this board). Teach them how it is from the start and they wont have to spend years arguing with others about say coral being an animal or a plant on some future forum.

Mandarin it seems you are learning a valuable lesson here. In this world there is a seemingly primal need to be right. NEVER question the powers that be is what you are hearing from most who know how it is behind the scenes. When I was in school I heard the lies and inaccuracies and I questioned them every day, and like it was suggested above, if you do it right you will gain respect from a SERIOUS teacher. I agree with the above, never challenge a teacher, even if they agree to let you teach class (that happened and I did not accept lol).

However that said you will only gain respect if the individual you are presenting it to actually cares enough to learn. Teaching is a profession, a job just like any other and real life can dictate how an individual teacher responds to your attempts to enlighten them sometimes they, just like all of us, just have bad days and you don't want to get caught in that blind spot, you wont know what hit you.

Best of luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7005077#post7005077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firefish2020
Yes most are and why would anyone want to be labeled a "teacher" if they were really "unteaching" what is readily available in public media and regarded as fact. Coral is an animal thats not controversial and is not going to get anyone sued. "Dumbing down the information" and trying to decide what the kids can take without blowing there fragile little minds is not a viable excuse IMO. Kids today are smart, we live in a global age that most of us only dreamed about growing up.

:thumbsup: Well said, firefish, well said.

Of course teaching is a noble profession, and definitely most teachers deserve a round of applause for the uphill battle they fight every day, and get paid not enough to fight.

That being said, teaching also comes with responsibility--to impart accurate knowledge to impressionable minds, not garbage myths. Where I come from, respect is earned, and does not come from a profession alone. If someone perpetuates ignorance, then they do not get mine, IMHO.

Re: school,teachers(Who think they know what there talking about),and reefs.

I feel your pain, but I'd like to point out:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6732860#post6732860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mandrin13
People say that it was a wast of money to spend $300 on the PC lights when i could have just put my tank in front of a window
Some people spend a lot of time and effort (and money) getting natural light to their tanks. For example, see the thread SolaTubes for reef tanks. (for pictures, start at the back of the thread and work your way forward. :) ) I have my tank on a wall near a window so it can catch the afternoon sun. It's quite pretty. :)

My point here is, nobody is perfect and everyone is prone to make mistakes and spread false info. Imagine if you had to spend 6 hours a day teaching the subjects you were told to teach, and people expected you to never be wrong!

Back