SCMAS- March 2013- Tank Tour Thread

BeanMachine

Hey everyone SCMAS had a tank tour this past Saturday and it was great! We got the opportunity to see some really nice tanks that belong to our members in So Cal. Ali at Amazing Aquariums and Reefs was gracious to host us before and after the tour. He has a great store and really nice live stock. We went to three locations, 1st was Greg Carroll's (SCMAS Pres), 2nd was a member's friend's tanks, and last was my tank. We had about 20 people attend. It was great to share ideas and talk about the different systems and how each was maintained, from a full blown SPS system to a zero edge clam dominant tank and huge in wall mixed reefs and lastly a Zoa and Softy dominate system. I feel like it was a great mix of tanks and to top it off with Ali's tanks and pizza it was an awesome day.

Anyways, here are some pictures I took with my cell phone. Maybe if anyone else was on the tour and took pictures they can share by adding to this thread?

I'll start with Greg's tank... its freaking awesome! His corals after years of growing and filling in are ginormous! That efflo in the center had to have been 20" across. So incredible.

20130316_125157_zpsbf6227b1.jpg

20130316_123328_zps60f0b25e.jpg

Lots of pretty sticks.

20130316_123354_zpsd1dcbdd5.jpg

Three chalices grown together, you can't see the other on the back side.

20130316_123534_zps0caf685b.jpg

More to come!

Yep I'm perfectly fine with Cody sharing pics. I'm just lazy. The tank tour was awesome this year and I especially loved seeing jus how different reefkeepers use different methods to keep beautiful tanks.

I should have added some information on my first post about Greg's tank. Its a 225 gallon lit by 3 400 w Radium Metal Halide lamps... supplemented with some Ecoxotic leds. I believe it has 4 6105's for flow, approx. 50 gallon refugium, 80 gallon sump, Warner Marine Biopellets, Calcium Reactor, etc.

Greg can you add some info about your system when you have time?

***Fixed hehe should have taken notes...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments. The tank is actually 225g. The sump is about 50g. Other than that you remove red just about everything!

Back