seahorse's (route8) prices are nuts!

Clarkii3

ok i go to seahorse alot, but thier corals are just way too high priced, most are 54-90$ i saw 4" finger leather their for like $89 the other day. zoos with 30+ polyps are $69! does anyone agree with me here? any other places that have cheap corals, i know pet supplies plus on mcknight is ok, but still a bit high.

I've heard from numerous people that a lot of the stores in PA are very over priced and they resort to doing a group buy online so the shipping costs could be split.

just a thought.

I don't think their prices are much more compared to the rest of the stores around, but i do feel they are a little bit overpriced.

Check out thesea.org

He has an online ordering site and is based in South Park. If you email him, you should be able to go to his shop. He has the cheapest corals you will find in Pgh.

His name is Blane Perun.

--Ray

Just bought a lawnmower blenny for <$20. SO not too bad- but the corals were crazy!! A tiny rock with a few purple muchrooms were > $50. I guess they gotta make a living.

I saw those seahorses last week, I couldn't believe the price either.

I usually stop in there just to buy food for my wifes parrot and stroll back through the tanks. I've never bought a coral from there because of the prices, but I have bought fish there. They usually seem pretty healthy.

I also agree that they are overpriced. Although some times i am able to get some really good deals out of them, most of the time i can get them to lower to a pretty good price for an unpriced coral. Like i just got an all pink torch branch from them for $5, it is only one head but i always pick out the small things because i can afford the rest of the stuff they have. Usually most of the fish and corals they get in are pretty healthy but i believe they are still way overpriced. It could also do with the season, comeing into winter and all, maybe they are being charged more for shipping. I used to be able to get peppermint shrimp for $3 a piece but now when i do see them they are $20 a shrimp, so i sort of blame in on the time of the year. Hopefully they will lower their prices.
Kelly

in that one big reef they have on the right side when you go up the steps, they have some single shrooms on the sand, near the glass, they would not even sell them to me, or scrape some coralline off their tank

Hi all,

I agree that many of our local stores have prices that are higher that what I have seen in other cities, but I wanted to clarify one important point.....

PMASI does not engage in, support, encourage, etc. any group buying, except through a local store. We actively try to encourage buying livestock locally so that the buyer has the chance to observe the specimen in person.

Members get a 10% discount at Seahorse and many other local stores which helps a bit with the prices. We encourage members to use their discount so that the stores can see that we appreciate it and that we are patronizing their businesses.

Also remember that prices on all kinds of commodities vary by region. Some of the highest coral prices I have ever seen were in the LA area, and those folks aren't paying air freight!

I am not defending or endorsing any particular store or their pricing policies, but I know Seahorse sells a lot of livestock, and as long as enough people are willing to pay their prices, they have no incentive to lower them.

Adam

I was at Under the Sea and they have zoo colonies with 150+ polyps for $60. They also had zoo frags with 20+ polyps for $10.
I really don't think all the lfs that support PMAS appreciate you guys talking trash on them.Belive me if they could survive by catering to you low budget people,they would.No hater clubs strikes again.

Sadly, most of the local stores have to pay for rent and electricity among other things. They offer livestock to a limited demographic and try to do so in a competative manner. They are in business to make money, not go broke supporting the local hobbyists.

We constantly find ourselves struggling with paying a substantially higher local retail price or saving a significant amount and ordering from an online retailer. Just remember one thing, if you do not patronize your local LFS, then it will cease to exist. Once it is gone, you will not have the option of running up the street when your in a jam. You will not have a place to see livestock firsthand before you buy it. When the LFS leaves, so will a portion of they hobby in the area.

By patronizing your LFS, you help them to purchase in greater quantities and offer better prices due to their savings and higher business volume. If you have a price concern talk to the store owner. They may offer at best a better price, or at least a good explanation of the price.

Each store may have better pricing on a different type of item. Shop around and spread your business betwee the stores.

In other words, when possible try to support these folks, they surely do help our club exist as well as provide a convenient place to purchase livestock and dry goods.

I don't think a LFS that provides a discount to PMAS members is immune from criticism. There are legitimate concerns with the quality of stores around here. I don't understand how I can go to Cleveland and find several stores that are much better. I have to travel to the Norfolk, Virginia area on a regular basis and they have several excellent stores. I understand that Pittsburgh is smaller than both of those areas, but not that much smaller! Should I really have to call Salty Critter and have him UPS ground me Joe's Juice or Flatworm Exit? Even finding DT's Phyto that isn't out of date can be a chore sometimes.

In fairness, I am really talking about selection more than price.

Under the Sea shows promise IMO.

Dale

Criticism is a good thing as long as it is done in a constructive manner. Then again we all have our moments when that rule seems to fly out the window.

In this case the best (or at least most useful) venue for such complaints would be one in the company of the store owner or manager. I would imagine that any reputable owner/manger would at least listen to the patrons complaints or critisism.

I am not sure that discussing the problems here will solve anything, other than allowing frustrations to be vented.

We all know that certain stores are better than others... I am sure plenty of "behind the scenes" conversations take place between members that help keep all of us alerted to potential problems or benefits at various stores.

I don't think anybody is saying "Don't say anything bad about a store." Instead just "be careful" how you say what you have to say.

Then again my advice may just suck and I would have been better off leaving this thread alone :)

Dale and all,

I agree with you. No store should be immune from criticism. I also agree with Bean. Posting it here only serves to vent your frustration, and if the store owners see it here, it only serves to inflame them.

If anyone has a criticism of the prices or selection at any store, I encourage you to politely ask them about the price or to stock the item.

During my first term as president of PMASI, I spent a great deal of time going to every major store in the area that sells salt water in an effort to improve relations with the club. The only real constructive feedback I got was that on the rare occasions that our members shop at their store, they complain about the prices, trash talk the store, and stomp out saying that they will mail order.

I really believe that such a scenerio is the exception, not the rule, but such behavior leaves a much stronger impression that someone who quietly comes in, spends their $100 and leaves. Especially if you don't show your card for your discount!!!

Also, I posted this line in my previous post:

I am not defending or endorsing any particular store or their pricing policies, but I know Seahorse sells a lot of livestock, and as long as enough people are willing to pay their prices, they have no incentive to lower them.

I just realized that this may have sounded like I meant that folks should not shop there. Quite the contrary. My only point was that we are in a region that supports higher prices. IMO, when it comes to livestock, it is worth the premium to be able to see that the animal is healthy.

Adam

I think this discussion needs to look at several things:

1. Ok, so group buys are not promoted -> for understandable reasons.....but why pay an extreme mark up for the exact same fish.....the LFS might be using the same supplier, so your going to pay them $30-$40 tank rental so the fish can sit there for a week...as long as you use a reliable dealer and quarentine I think an internet fish is just as good and if it was promoted more would force a smaller margin in the LFS

2.All stores complain about the customers....if a group of members are complaining about the stores....maybe this should be a reference point, if die hard reefers are complaining when they didnt hesitate to drop over $800 on a set of lights maybe just maybe they have a point that the live stock is over priced

3.The satisfaction of high quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price wears off....Yes this is true....but I have yet to find a LFS in Pittsburgh that provides high quality merchandise or service that I would be willing to pay a premium for....except maybe Wet Pets

4.To hear someone say don't be critical, makes me nervous.....the US was founded with the right to be critical....If the stores are worried about being criticized then perhaps they should at least listen or respond to the criticism...

Maybe someone can answer me this......If everyone on this BB freaks about tangs and other large fish in small tanks and cares about the stress that this causes, why do we support a store that places these same fish in lil 4 x6 in tanks and consider it healthy and ok....definately not worth a premium price in my mind....yes I know that turnover does occur and they aren't in there for long but from my experience those tanks are not seperate units but one system that shares parasites ...... and induces stress.....hmmmm healthy enough to charge a premium probably not :)

Back