seahorse's (route8) prices are nuts!

I hang out with alot of lfs owners,some support PMAS and those who do not, tells me this is exactly why they don't.They can care less about your worhtless 2cent or how we "talk about them".It really doesn't matter to them. PMAS customer makes up about 2% of their sale and then they have to deal with all the b.s we give them.If anything PMAS should be thankfull that they give us a 10% discount.If they didn't, we all would still buy their stuff at full cost.Don't you think that the little bag they arvive in and the little bag you take them home in,don't stress them out?As for group order,I would never do that , because IMO buying thing that you can't see is so uneducated.

I am a big fan of group buys and such on dry goods and possible some inverts (snails/crabs/shrimp). I would not buy a fish online though as I like to pick the fish I want to buy. A good example would be a coral beauty. Some of them have washed out colors. I really like the dark purple ones, so I waited until Wet Pets had one to my liking. I would not have been able to do that online, I would be stuck with whatever one they happened to pick.

--Ray

There are a lot of fish available from online vendors that you never see in the LFS. I try to go 50/50 in my buying.....some local and some online. I have got nothing but quality fish from a couple online vendors. Both of my Lineatus wrasse's were purchased from an online vendor and when they arrived I was astounded by their size, color, and good health. I think a lot depends on who you buy from online.

Elmers in monroville or Gitlers in johnstown
Purchased a pulsing xenia on a 8lb rock and the rock was completely covered for 39 dollars at gitlers. and also today a carpet anemone thats over 3 lbs! its unreal how big it is and how great its doing already, my 2 perculas are in heaven!so if your lookin to make an hour an 20 minute drive east of pittsburgh come visit the city thats known for its floods an stop in at gitlers.

nope I used to work at petco until I got a job offered by the state. Pecto and gitlers are the only places in johnstown that carries saltwater stuff. When I worked at petco the biggest problem was cyano bacteria in the marine fish. But now I dunno they just arent stocked up. Gitlers has liver rock, great corals and some sweet fish. next week I plan on purchasing the oct down at gitlers. Hes also got a few shark eggs. but it doesnt compair to what elmers has.

no hater clubs, along the lines of what you sadi before...
They can care less about your worhtless 2cent or how we "talk about them".It really doesn't matter to them. PMAS customer makes up about 2% of their sale and then they have to deal with all the b.s we give them.If anything PMAS should be thankfull that they give us a 10% discount.If they didn't, we all would still buy their stuff at full cost.
I really think this whole statement is completely BS because i know many of the LFS owners also, and none of them would say something like this. My girlfriend actually works at Seahorse and i consider lloyd, the owner, to be a very nice person for the most part and just do not think he would say this to anyone, even a very good friend of his. ANYWAY back on topic, i think that if you spend enough time and money in the stores and get to know the employee's and owners then they will give you deals. Also i think that if you have a problem with something being EXTRMEMLY overpriced then you can usually talk them down a few dollars. I dont think the prices are that big of a deal honestly, every other hobby is the exact same way. your paying the store not only for the product you bought, but also for electricity, water, and gas bills, also the salaries of the employees, and rent of the building space. This is all JMO, but it is how i feel.

I said "those who don't,tells me this is exactly why they don't.They can care less about your....ect."I was talking about stores that do not support pmsa.And thats how they really do feel.So you got your 2cent in.Talking about B.S. Didn't you agree that the store your girlfiend work in "prices is alittle bit overpriced'? Since you know Lloyd so well, you should show him alittle support instead of telling the whole net that his prices"is bit overpriced"Sound like a two face I.M.O

Hi all,

Can we please keep this civil?!?! I considered asking the mods to close this thread even before these last couple of posts.

I encourage anyone to use this forum to state their opinions of any store as long as it is done in a civil, considerate, objective way. Before posting anything, please consider whether it is something you would be willing to tell the store owner in person (unless you're a jerk... then consider what a normal person would be willing to say ;))

For example, here is my opinion of Seahorse:

Seahorse generally has healthy livestock and usually has a great selection of common and unusual specimens. I often find their prices to be higher than I am willing to pay, but I have made purchases there when the premium was fair for a particularly unusual or healthy specimen. I often do have concerns about the number of specimens that are questionable or unsuitable for captivity (filter feeding cucumbers, seahorses, anemones, non-photosynthetic corals, crinoids, and difficult to feed fish.) I have always been treated very well by the staff.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Lloyd, but when I do I would be very comfortable sharing the opinion above.

Adam

It was civil, until this post turned up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6838959#post6838959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by no hater clubs
...I really don't think all the lfs that support PMAS appreciate you guys talking trash on them.Belive me if they could survive by catering to you low budget people,they would.No hater clubs strikes again.

Stating that prices are high is not bashing. Everyone agreed that Seahorse has high quality livestock.

I guess some people just like to start trouble.

O.K if I'm gonna be called a "trouble maker" for sticking up for our lfs.Then let me say that I didn't mean to offend anyone.It's all j.m.o .I guess I have been "mean" so I'll try to play nice.But if there's still some p-off people,you can always p.m me and we'll solve our differences.

"Everyone agreed that Seahorse has high quality livestock."

Not me. The corals are nice but his fish always seem to have ich and are rubbing their sides..... And yes the corals are expensive relative to others.

It seems as if we as consumers have created a veil of ignorance in the LFS in Pittsburgh...Yes, I do support them, and I have had moments in each where I had thoughts of buying from the internet....but I personally feel that the price dictates the quality, not only in the livestock but also in the staff....I personally would be more inclined to pay a premium if the staff at the LFS was knowledgable and well versed in reef tanks and salt water in general which improves the quality of the livestock and hence makes the prices that they charge viable options to the internet cheapness....I also agree that the 10% discount is more of a hinderence to the owners than it is a benefit to us, so why do they do it....easy answer publicity....but why don't we give something back to the owners and managers of these stores and create a program that educates the LFS employees that in all frankness need help....perhaps a certification program that includes a certificate so that the employee has some credentials and can talk with some degree of knowledge rather than just scoop fish..perhaps we could provide this free of charge in exchange for their supporting the discount, and have stores that send their employees display a logo so that consumers know that their fish people are educated......

Any Comments, Questions, Concerns about starting this?

Ed

Who's going to pay for it? I know you said "perhaps we could provide this free of charge", but who's going to pay the employees wages while they go through this training? What about all the other expenses, such as a place to conduct these programs, travel expenses, the logo's you spoke of?

I'm quite sure that one of the stores would be willing to provide space for the seminar....since we are teaching about caring about livestock in a store it would be the only logical place....as for the employees wages, I would leave that up to the stores...if they want to pay them to attend than bravo for them, if not then is it that bad to have some education without getting paid...and I would hope that if it was billed as a certification program that they would then negotiate for higher wages after certification...because they are better trained employees that will be a greater benefit to the store....in taking care of tanks, reducing loss of livestock, and customer service......

Wow....I'm glad we got onto the money subject fast, but it seems to me as I read these threads that more and more of you like to complain about stuff and argue about IMO and JMO's than try to actually fix the problems that exist and come to a consensus. I didnt say it was a perfect idea but it could work with refinement....any suggestions on how to support this idea

I would certainly like to see more knowledgeable salespeople at our LFS's, but with the high turnover of these people I don't know how you could accomplish this. Let's face it......most peoples goals in life aren't to work long time in the LFS or pet store, anymore than a life long ambition is to flip burghers at McDonalds. I always see new employees at Pet Supplies Plus, and the Seahorse. I hate to say this, but I think a lot of these pet store employees believe they know what they're doing. That's why it's SOOOOO important for the buyer to do their homework before going into the LFS to make a purchase.

Wet Pets has had some of the same staff for quite some time. Most are pretty have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to Saltwater. The Pet Supplies Plus people in Bridgeville are good also.

When I worked for petco they paid for classes if it helped educated. but why waste money on education when they cant supply a healthy stock? places arent to concerned with peoples education when hiring if someone can smile an sound like a used care sales men then its increases their profits. I know from reading most of the post some of you might know the owners of these so called uneducated stores so why not speak with them or invite them to our meetings monthly help EDUCATE everyone. I know from the places around here Elmers is by far to me seem the most educated now I havent been any further towards pittsburgh yet

Last edited:
Back