seahorse's (route8) prices are nuts!

You could also look at it this way. Educated employee spends time educating customers, customers now don't impulse buy, sales drop, owner makes less money.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6909527#post6909527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acroconut
I always see new employees at Pet Supplies Plus, and the Seahorse.

When I was at Seahorse, I had 9 years, two other employees had 7 years each and one other had 4 years. But we are all gone . And as far as pricing goes, retail = overhead.

Hey Alex,
How've you been doing? Miss being able to stop in and talk to you guys. Still amazed that Loyd just let everyone go. Atmosphere in the store is a lot different now......doesn't seem as personal. JMO

Doing better than ever. Im a "Aquatic Landscaper".... and soon to be married, so all is well. Hope you are well, along with your beautiful SPS's. I do miss the retail days sometimes I have to admit.

Glad to hear that all is well, and congrats on the upcoming wedding. Is it a secret, or can you tell who you are currently working for? Me and my SPS are doing well.....seems like I grow faster than they do....in my case it's in the wrong places. I need to get back to training for another marathon....that will take care of that problem. Do miss the exchanges with you and Jeff at the store. Hope all is going well for Jeff also.

I have to say..I went to Gitlers, I was not impressed. the prices seemed right and sure if I lived down the street I would hit it up more often, but not worth a trip from Pittsburgh.

Maybe 10-15 SW tanks 2-3 large displays limited stock

This is not a flame, but just saying before everyone jumps in their car and bolts to Johnstown..if you are in town check it out, but it has nothing on WetPets, Under The Sea or even elmers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6928350#post6928350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acroconut
Glad to hear that all is well, and congrats on the upcoming wedding. Is it a secret, or can you tell who you are currently working for? Me and my SPS are doing well.....seems like I grow faster than they do....in my case it's in the wrong places. I need to get back to training for another marathon....that will take care of that problem. Do miss the exchanges with you and Jeff at the store. Hope all is going well for Jeff also.

Im working for Funyak Lawn and Landscape Management, Im doing all the hardscaping and water features for now. Last I talked to Jeff he was doing well.

new here but here is my 2 cents....people are going to pay what ever they are willing to pay....Elmers has been off of McKnight Rd for YEARS....Wet pets is a family business....Dad and brothers. Pet supplies changes their employess from what i have heard is the treatment of their employees...There are some good folks there....also your paying for the stores reputations and knowledge...I have gone on treks from one store to another all in 1 day. My new favorite Is another family business is in cranberry"under the sea".But just because its one of my favorites by no means does this mean i won't go to other stores.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6909414#post6909414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by assassinco97
......... but it seems to me as I read these threads that more and more of you like to complain about stuff and argue about IMO and JMO's than try to actually fix the problems that exist and come to a consensus. I didnt say it was a perfect idea but it could work with refinement....any suggestions on how to support this idea
Very well said. I seem to find one of these conversations about LFS's about once a week. Threads like this pop up on various club sections all across the nation. This one is more civil than most, others could learn from you guys/gals, and some good points are being made about reasons for pricing, employee turnover, and the need to support local stores. For most it's a hobby, relax and enjoy it, if you can't afford it don't just complain about it, be patient and save some money. By the time you have enough saved you will appreciate what you are getting even more.

Last edited:
Back