SHARK TANK help plz im new

Justin - I remember seeing pics of your tank with many species of macro algae. Can you name some of the species? I'm trying to add more color to my tank.

Its really just many types of Caulpera. Im not sure of all the names but it grows very fast. They do need iron dosing to stay happy and not go sexual...possibly killing off the tank. Heres a pic :D (sorry not trying to take over the thread):

Digi529.jpg

Is this the same tank that you had your Porc Puffer, Sleeper Goby, etc. in? You've added a lot of corals since I last saw it!

BTW - Thats a huge leather~

Yeah thats the same tank. Theres only a few corals but they are HUGE, so it looks like a bunch. I have to take this tank down though because Im moving in a week.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12310034#post12310034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheSaltwaterGuy
You planning on setting it back up or upgrading?

Well I am having an 8' tank built but it will not be made for a little while, so I will put this one back up for now.

Justin,
That sucks that you are having to take it down. I'm seriously thinking of nominating your tank for TOTM. It's so original and much different than the SPS dominated tanks that usually get TOTM (not that they aren't beautiful), but it would be nice to have a change. Definitely keep us posted while you're setting it back up, and on the progress of the new tank when it arrives!

I know this is a bit off topic (even more off topic ha!), but I really love that clock! And did you paint those cardinals yourself? It goes without saying that the tank is beautiful :)!

Just when the thread started getting interesting in the end, we start with this stuff again. I'd rather have seen it totally high jacked and you guys started posting about politics than some kid asking a thousand times of what is the minimum tank size for a shark is. Tank0789, I'm sure you really want to get in this hobby, and I'm sure you can succeed in this, but asking a question until you get the answer you want to hear is a bit much man, you will not like what you hear no matter how you ask it, you will not be able to keep a shark in any tank no matter the dimensions for ALOT longer than you will think. We are talking months before the tank will be stable enough to do anything to. Take the advice that quite a few people has already given you and leave it as that. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from doing it. I would love it if everyone in the world were to get into the hobby in some level.
It's almost pointless but I'm going to give some advice, whether you hear it or not. Buy a very small tank, the cheapest you can find. 20g 30g if you already have the 55g use that. Buy atleast 60 lbs of rock, get a skimmer rated for that tank, get sand. Set it up, wait atleast a month, preferably 2. Than get one or two fish, Get some nemo clowns or damsels. Put those in the tank, wait a month, buy a slightly larger fish, ie, dwarf angel or wrasse. And put that in a tank.
And after all that keep them alive for 6 months. If you can accomplish that, than perhaps a shark is right for you, But be forewarned. Buying this initial equipment in and of itself will set you back some money. The tank is the CHEAPEST part of this hobby. Even more if you do a reef. Get some experience under your belt.
Take a weekend scrubbing your tank of algae, let yourself start pulling your hair out with a cyano bacteria bloom. Your fish will breakout with some kind of parasite or disease and that something will effect sharks, even more they are ALOT harder to treat. After that you can graduate to a shark. I would be SHOCKED if you can find someone on here who started out this hobby with a shark.
I've said nothing at all different from any one else on this thread. But you asked for advice, and it's been given over, and over, and over again. Take it, or leave it and save your money.

I guess some people just don't get it. Hey Tank you might want to listen to these people they do have just a bit more experience than you and they are trying to save you a whole bunch of money and wasted time.
P.S. This is the last time I will be reading this thread as it seems to be going nowhere and is a complete waste of time and energy.

ok thanks. im sorry. lets start with the 55gallon. which kind of live rock? and which fish? also would it be possible for an eel in the 55g?

also for when the time is right i would really like a swell shark. if you guys think i would need something bigger for him please let me know. i am really excited for all this and i am a real impatient person. i apologize.

Swell Sharks get to about 40" long and are a cold water shark, needing temperatures of about 60-65 degrees. For these sharks, I'd recommend a tank of at LEAST 8' x 4' x 2'. Preferably bigger, around 10' x 5' x 2-3'.

These are a fairly easy shark to keep under the right circumstances. If you provide its needs, the shark will be healthy.

for the love of all that is good and holy on earth leave the kid alone...ever one who says they have more experience then him was asking the same exact questions when they started out.

He is just excited and you guys are hosing him down...iagree he should be doing research online by himself but settle the f down.

It is sad to think a question about putting a shark in a 55gal tank gets 6 pages worth of responses and answers while other people who have done a ton of research, time, and money can only get a few responses answered. Oh well, I have to finish dripping my 8 yellow tangs and 10" emperor into my 74 reef.

Back