SHARK TANK help plz im new

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12286289#post12286289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
If that is what you want set up a fw tank, and put a African tiger fish in it.

Thats still a very big, 3' fish as an adult. Not really a better option than the sharks he is considering. Very cool looking fish though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284983#post12284983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjreiniger
For fish in a 55gal that would be compatible with a shark, you have a number of options. I had a 55 FOWLR setup for a year with:

Panther Grouper
Volitan Lion
Snowflake eel
Picasso Trigger
Maroon CLown
Yellow Tang

All of which were stable and healthy. Aside from the clown and tang, all should be compatible with the shark.

Are you kidding? How are you possibly keeping all these big fish in such a tiny tank??? I hope they are tiny and you already have a new home for thses guys. Wow. Bad advice to be giving someone new to the hobby who really wants to learn the right way to do things. This would be the wrong way!

What? The lagoon? It would be fine for a while, but nothings gonna change the fat that they need a 15-18' diameter (ROUND, NOT RECTANGULAR) pool for life, no matter how much someone argues.

P.S. Join www.sharkraycentral.com, they have infinite amounts of shark/ray info there just waiting to be read by people just getting into the shark/ray hobby, like yourself.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12292298#post12292298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TANK0789
hey salt. how about a aquarium like yours? would that be ok?

Tank, what part of the country do you live in?

Minimum recommend tank/pond size for a Brown Smooth hound: While it is possible to keep pups in tanks or ponds of at least 500 gallons (6’ diameter or about 8’ x 4’x 2’) for the 1st 18-24 months. Adult brown smooth hounds require a pond of at least 1,200 gallons or (12' long x 5' wide x 3' deep) for a single adult. And at least 2,100 gallons or 15’ long x 6’ wide x 3’ deep for 2-3 adult brown smooth hounds.

so your 10x5x3 would be fine. thanks for the website!

Not so much. Notice how it says they can be kept in the 6' diameter pool for the first 18-24 months of their lives. Quit being ignorant and understand what you are reading.

dude you cant read! ignorant? no im sorry that i can read?

dult brown smooth hounds require a pond of at least 1,200 gallons or (12' long x 5' wide x 3' deep) for a single adult

or do i need to draw you a picture?

ok w.e change of subject how are you getting that tank for 5g? from who or what? and what would ti cost for a 12x5x3

was thinking spare room. but this wouldnt be happening for a long time! and i have decised to go with a 360g 96x36x24 size tank. so what would be the best shark for that size? thanks

Here is a site that will give you some good information on that very question: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sharks.htm

Try to stay realistic about the costs associated with this type of setup. You are probably looking at $7K-$10K just for equipment. Not to mention ~$1500 in substrates, the $30 weekly salt bill for water changes, heating and cooling costs, etc. etc. It's best to do all your homework first before going out and getting in over your head.

Someone locally is gonna help me build it. It'll go in my basement.

For a 8' x 3' x 2' tank, you'd be ok with either a single Brownbanded Bamboo or Epaulette, or a pair of Coral Cats or Gray bamboos.

This is a little late in the subject, but a 220 is pointless to spend the extra money when a 180 will do the same job. The extra 6" of height is pretty much a waste with a shark tank. The foot print is the big issue.

Tank, this hobby is expensive! Stuff adds up quick and you don't even know it. When you get into big tanks and with sharks, it goes up exponentially!!! Think of the skimmer you'd have to have on a tank that size, not to mention all the plumbing, water movement, heating, electric bill running it all, it's insane! Good luck with your setup, just take your time and think things through, don't want to see you make mistakes and get discouraged and get out of the hobby. Maybe you should start with a small FOWLR tank just to get the hang of everything before attempting a shark, they are a lot pickier about water quality etc then most fish.

Yeah, glass/acrylic tanks are much more expensive than building a pond. Lets say you spend about 10K on your 360g, if you did a pond in that size, you'd probably end up spending about 3-4K MAX with the pond being ready to house livestock.

Back