Sharks in Home Aquariums

L-shaped tanks or any tank with 90 degree corners really isn't good for sharks. Sharks generally do best in ponds which are round, oval, or figure 8 shaped.

In addition - you don't need a 50,000 gallon tank to keep sharks in - unless you are attempting to keep large species like Nurse Sharks, or Sandbar (Brown) Sharks. In which case - 10 foot width would be too narrow for these sharks. Smaller requiem sharks(Bonnetheads, Sharpnose, BTR & WTR) can be kept in pools of about 15,000-20,000 gallons. And small benthic sharks(Bamboo, eppies and catsharks) can be kept in pools of less than 1,000 gallons.

In addition - with smaller requiems and benthic sharks - the water depth is less important than the length and width. For small benthic sharks - a water depth of 2-2.5 feet is fine. While active swimming sharks - like smoothhounds, leopards, small reef sharks, and small coastal requiem sharks need a depth of 3+ feet.

Last edited:
I know L shaped aquariums aren't good for sharks, but I designed that part out of wood, so that it wasn't a rough corner.

I know L shaped aquariums aren't good for sharks, but I designed that part out of wood, so that it wasn't a rough corner.

It doesn't make a difference if it is made of wood, fiberglass or acrylic. It is the fact that it is a 90 degree corner. And the problem with a L-shaped tank is that you have 6 sharp corners. Any swimming shark put in that tank will eventually bump it's nose. Which will either kill the shark or seriously injury it.

Plus generally speaking wood wouldn't give needed strength to support 50,000 gallons of water. Wood is okay for smaller ponds(up to a few thousand gallons) - with liners. But not so for larger tanks, (over 10,000 gallons).

While changing the tank design would be best. The next best option is to have either some rock work(real or fake) or some over flow boxes in these corners to eliminate these sharp corners.

Last edited:
Back