Sharks in Home Aquariums

You don't need to import them anymore. Quality marine has had several shipments of captive bred bamboo sharks lately... and will continue to get them ;)

There are few places that have captive bred benthic sharks. But they are by no means common or wide-spread at this time.

Most of the tropical benthic sharks that are available to home aquarists (in North America) still tend to be imported from other countries like Australia, or Indonesia. Yes - there are a few temperate/cool water species like the Horn Shark, Swell Shark, & Chain Catshark which are found in North American waters.

Like I said, quality marine is getting a consistent supply of captive bred bamboo sharks. Ask your lfs to order some in, I bet they can.

There are several species of bamboo sharks, very few are offered for sale to the pubic from captive breeding.

Indeed, but two species (C. punctatum, C. plagiosum) are being offered by quality marine that are captive bred and my contacts with them are saying they will be able to get them consistently as long as demand continues. This is great news!

The Brown-banded Bamboo (C. punctatum) and the White-spotted Bamboo(C. plagiosum) are with out a doubt the two most common species bred in captivity. That's because they are the two most common species of sharks in home/private aquaria. They are without a doubt the cheapest species - regularly offered for sale for $100 or less. These are also two of the hardiest and easiest to keep species of sharks.

The Coral Catshark (A. mormaratus) is the next most common species.

But the hallmark of a great captivity breeding program is that you are regularly breeding species which aren't very common or well known.

The Brown-banded Bamboo (C. punctatum) and the White-spotted Bamboo(C. plagiosum) are with out a doubt the two most common species bred in captivity. That's because they are the two most common species of sharks in home/private aquaria. They are without a doubt the cheapest species - regularly offered for sale for $100 or less. These are also two of the hardiest and easiest to keep species of sharks.

The Coral Catshark (A. mormaratus) is the next most common species.

But the hallmark of a great captivity breeding program is that you are regularly breeding species which aren't very common or well known.

I guess I don't understand what you are saying... is it not a good thing that these two species are regularly available now captive bred? I don't know if there are other species coming from the same place or what but I consider this a win for wild populations.

I wouldnt't say captive breed sharks are common and the majority of sharks are wild caught. For the average hobbiest looking for something common they can go the captive breed route. It will have to be something they want to do. If you get it from a store it is most likely wild.
ReefGen sells captive breed chain catsharks and white spotted. Another store which will remain nameless also sells captive breed sharks. I already got flamed once for telling someone to check it out once.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand what you are saying... is it not a good thing that these two species are regularly available now captive bred? I don't know if there are other species coming from the same place or what but I consider this a win for wild populations.

Of course - it great the Brown-banded & White-spotted Bamboos are being captive bred. But they are still not being captive bred enough to completely eliminate the need for wild caught specimens- at this time.

In addition - there are a lot of shark species which actually are even better suited for captivity which should also be captive bred. Among the Bamboos - the Arabian and Gray Bamboos are both smaller in size, but unfortunately rarely seen. There is at least half dozen Epaulette species which would be great for captive breeding programs. In addition - there are several catsharks, horn sharks, wobbegongs, and other carpet sharks which would be very good as well.

Of course it isn't going to eliminate the need... it is an option though, and until they run out I don't see a need to import more.

it is an option though, and until they run out I don't see a need to import more.

That's the problem - at present even the white-spotted and brown banded bamboos aren't being captive bred enough to full the demand from private aquarists.

With Sharks -at present time it is not like it is with clownfish, were the vast a majority are being captive bred. Right now - private shark aquarists are basically in the same situation - as private parrot aviculturists were in the early to mid 1970's. That is with the vast majority of species still being regularly imported. And only a few species being regularly bred in captivity by private breeders. It really wasn't until the governments started to ban or seriously limit importation of parrots in the late 1970's-early 1980's that you saw a huge increase in numbers of private parrot breeders.

Basically the same thing needs to happen with benthic sharks, now. There needs to be more private shark aquarists that actually get into breeding sharks. It is quite possible to think that in 10-20 years - most benthic species of sharks will no longer be imported. And if there aren't that many breeders - then the future prices of even species like the White-spotted and Brown Banded bamboos could easily rival those of epaulettes today.

My contacts at QM say they have a consistent source producing around 10-20/month which from what I know about shark breeding that's a ton of eggs! They told me that as long as demand continues, they will continue to provide them. They also said they are all over a month old and feeding well on Krill and PE mysis.

My contacts at QM say they have a consistent source producing around 10-20/month

While any captive breeding is a good thing, 10 to 20 per month for a wholesaler translates to maybe 10 to 15 stores in the entire country getting them in any given month...and those will be out of only a handful of their top customers...so very slim availability at the retail end. Small volume shops buying from them might try ordering them, but will likely never receive any...at least not till availability gets up into the hundreds per month. Just the realities of how the supply chain works.

While any captive breeding is a good thing, 10 to 20 per month for a wholesaler translates to maybe 10 to 15 stores in the entire country getting them in any given month...and those will be out of only a handful of their top customers...so very slim availability at the retail end. Small volume shops buying from them might try ordering them, but will likely never receive any...at least not till availability gets up into the hundreds per month. Just the realities of how the supply chain works.

I have to disagree... sharks are not in "high" demand... 10-20 per month is a ton of pressure off of wild populations. I see the in stock list every day, the shark numbers don't change often, meaning they don't get new shipments frequently.

IME, many stock lists are closer to wish lists...meaning don't always believe what you see in print ;)

FYI, back in my LFS days I would have been good for one or two those per month myself :)

This is fairly real time (at least it is updated several times per day). Internet is a wonderful thing. But whatever, I guess I know nothing... I am not going to get into some stupid ****ing match ;)
I watch groups of animals on QM all the time. I buy when there are enough of them left to get what I want, but not fresh off the plane.

Back